manual trans shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual trans shifting

How's it going fellow cb7 lovers . This is my first post on the board.

I did a couple of searches and didn't really come up with anything solid so here's the thing, hope you all can provide some insight.

This is most noticibale at standstill: I try to shift from nuetral into 1st or 2nd and it is unusually difficult. But once i get it into either of the gears, I can pop it back into nuetral and get it back to 1st or 2nd with no trouble at all (as long as i keep the cluth depressed and don't realease it after doing it the first time).

This also applies when upshifting or downshifting to 2nd when moving. Anybody here ever had a similar issue? Would a trans fluid flush help in any way?

Members Ride Thread

yeah, im sure flushing the trans would help, as would bleeding the clutch, i need to do both of those too, i have like the same problems as you, its not too bad, but i need to fix it. i plan on bleeding the clutch, soon, before winter, as soon as i can figure out how
    make money and die.....thats the american way.

Comment

yeah, i need to find out how to get that done as well so i can do it as soon as i can. Hopefully nothing has worn out with the clutch/transmission.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

first off u cant "flush" manual transmission fluid, its all drain and fill.

second just do it urself and save hella cash. get some honda MTF and pop it in there, its very easy.

as for bleeding the clutch, people only do it when its reallly realy hard or really really soft....what i do is i just psyphen the fluid out of the top, not all of it just most, and then fill with brake fluid then do again and again after driving it and it becomes cleaer and cleaer, hahahha im lazy to go under the car to bleed it.

but honda MTF is around 5 bucks, i think u need 3 or more, not sure exactly but hey that shit helps shit shift pretty good, especially in manuals...unless people used other wise
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Bah, get Synchromesh and call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
            Bah, get Synchromesh and call it a day
            i was thinking of that but i never knew much about it, thats why i said that others have better experiances =)
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

thanks accordztech. I also realized after doing some reading (and like you pointed out), that MT fluid cannot be flushed, just drained and replaced with a syringe or some such device. I'm going to get that done today. Would those that have used Syncromesh (NutBucket maybe?) recommend it over Honda MTF?
              Last edited by palinix; 10-15-2004, 01:47 PM.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

go with synchromesh its worth it I got the friction modified one the gm Part number is #12346190 change em in like i did definitely smoother shifts im changing mine tommorrow along with my motor oil.

Comment

yeah mahn. mine does that too (down shifting 2nd to 1st). I think i gotta do that too. Daym, and all this time I thought the car was made so that...

I am no longer using this forum name.
                  You can find me as
                  jdm_inspired...
                  I'm starting all over again since I got another CB.

NOC OUT!!!

Comment

sometimes the shifting is a little notchy but how fast are you going when your trying to downshift casue its suposed to do that i hope you know until you get to a certain speed then it will let you back in.

Comment

yo i almost had the same problem and what i did was i readjust the pedal and it work pretty good...

Comment

I've heard that the Red Line MT-90 transmission fluid works well on Nissan and Toyota transmissions. Anyone had any experience with Red Line gear oil products on our cars?

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by palinix
                          I've heard that the Red Line MT-90 transmission fluid works well on Nissan and Toyota transmissions. Anyone had any experience with Red Line gear oil products on our cars?
                          I put this in my old Nissan & VW (nlh) and it improved shifting. Both accords have Honda fluid. If I start to have problems with my 5sp, I won't hesitate to use it. It does costs about $7.95/qt
                          TBILL
                          92 Accord EX Coupe
                          CB7, 5 spd, Seattle Silver

91 Accord LX - no mods
                          CB9, Auto, Cobolt Blue Cooking with Clinton

Comment

I just went and bought two quarts of synchromesh for $21 Is that enough, or do I need another quart?
                            -Jay

Comment

yes it is enough

Comment

Working...
                              X