Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I discovered something not so nice on my H22....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I discovered something not so nice on my H22....

When I was checking stuff and getting my H22 prepped for a new T belt and W pump, I decided to inspect the T stat, and good thing I did...

^^t stat housing

T-stat just CAKED w/ coolant chunks...WTF?!

^^^Water pump

^^^Water pump housing

SO, since I found all that shit in there....I knew there was more, so OFF came the head...and looky what I found more of:

^^^this shit was so thick that it was PACKED in there, like deep. It wasn't mushy shit either...it was rock hard shit. WTF!!!? this guy must've used 99 cent store stop leak in there, it smelled funny.

^^even on the head itself

So, thats why I'm also doing a headgasket on it too. Because its fucked up, and I don't want my engine overheating. Can you believe this engine supposedly only has 40K miles?! At least it had the balance shaft retainer already on there.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Man I'm glad you guys tore it down to check it out. Would have been a disaster if you hadn't.

Comment

WOW! Where did you get that H from again? lol

Comment

maintenance free for 40k?

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
        Honda Accord Euro-R
        Honda Odyssey Absolute
        Honda City I-DSi
        Honda Stream

Comment

damn thats disturbing :x hope the engine works out for you and runs.

Comment

I almost gagged.

Comment

Whod the engine come from?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

That looks like aluminum oxide to me. I'd bet that whoever had the engine last didn't burp the cooling system, leaving air in there and causing corrosion. My recommendation would be to run a good flush kit through it to clean out any deposits left behind. The last thing thing you want is to have it all back together and have a chunk of that shit break loose and destroy the impellers on the water pump.

Comment

now what would happen if he laid the engine on it's side, stuffed rags into each cylinder and took a high pressure washer and shoved it into the water pump area and just went to town? he's got the head off so wouldn't the high pressure jet of water just blast everything out?

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                    That looks like aluminum oxide to me. I'd bet that whoever had the engine last didn't burp the cooling system, leaving air in there and causing corrosion. My recommendation would be to run a good flush kit through it to clean out any deposits left behind. The last thing thing you want is to have it all back together and have a chunk of that shit break loose and destroy the impellers on the water pump.
                    x2 and time to clean clean clean

make sure you get ALL of that crap out of it and where did you get the engine from
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

eewww...looks nasty...but i say just clean it up real good and you should be okay....previous owner probably used that bullshit stop leak crap....my engine looked 10x worse when i bought it....took a lot of cleaning but took it apart and put it all back together with all new selas and she runs perfect.
                      My Members Ride Thread

Comment

n how much did you pay for it?

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post

not sure but I am probably wronge, but that to me looks more like coolant sealer stuff for a coolant leak or cracked head and the person did not follow the instructions properly.

Comment

well dang how many of those tubes did he/she pour into the engine because those pictures show a **** ton of it.

Comment

Probably just one.. I believe, and again may be very wrong, but once into the system and the coolent sealer seals, you need to flush the system. As you can see what happens when you don't flush that stuff out.

Comment

Working...
                              X