Faild my smog test...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faild my smog test...

so i went to my ref appointment today and all was good but i didnt pass the smog test and im thinkin its my delta 272 that screwed me over so now i have to pull it out and put the stock one in. its effin bull shit!! i hate cali sometimes

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91030 <--MY RIDE!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

what were your readings? later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thats why i live in NC. All i need is a safety inspection. Any car 15 years or older doesn't have to pass emissions.
      Did the mechanics or who ever did the inspection tell you have to change your cam?(sry read that wrong. But even so it shoudn't effect it that much.) How high were the readings? If they're not too high some high octane fuel should do the trick.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Lol, I went to Marysville High.

I failed my own ref inspection last tuesday. Bad O2 sensor, and for the ecu (H22a SHOULD be P13) they had P12-A13 in the computer. The ref I got explained exactly why I failed.

You should post your numbers, that's the best way to diagnose smog troubles. I would actually guess that it isn't the cam, it's probably something else. Did you change your oil before going in? Check your spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter?
        1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Readings would help us to see if it was your cam. Were you tuned or running on stock ECU. I am assuming stock ECU since Cali is anal about running oem ecu's.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

my readings were....
            meas max meas
            IDLE- 14.8--0.0--120--29--178--1.00--0.10--0.32-FAIL
            2500- 15.0--0.0--140--20--25--1.00--0.10--0.09-PASS

im not sure what it could be do you guys think its the cam??

its the stock ecu and it had an AEM intake and megan header lol i tried to hide my header under my stock heat sheild lol but he saw it so i gotta swap them out do you think it could be that ???

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

Comment

lmao that funny you tried to hide your header with the heat shield, good idea though. Changing the plugs and checking O2 sensor should help along with regular maintanece. I realy don't think the header could cause high readings. I don't know what those numbers mean so can someone explain this to me?

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

yeah i just did a tune up not to long ago so it should all be good but idk

Comment

You were just slightly high on the HC @ idle, right? Check your numbers, cause I think you might have mistyped a few of them (specifically the HC gp numbers).

When you did your tune up, did you replace the cap and rotor? Was your car warmed up when you went in? Getting your cat hot before the test is worth its weight in gold.

Comment

So they didn't do the smog test at speed on a dyno? That's wierd, they started using the dyno years ago and eliminated the idle test in Socal. I thought all of Cali would be the same on that.
                    Looks like only your HC failed, how old is your catalytic converter?

My swap thread
                    Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
                      You were just slightly high on the HC @ idle, right? Check your numbers, cause I think you might have mistyped a few of them (specifically the HC gp numbers).

When you did your tune up, did you replace the cap and rotor? Was your car warmed up when you went in? Getting your cat hot before the test is worth its weight in gold.
                      Always important to warm the cat up to heat as this man mentioned. Could you list the numbers with the HC/CO/NOx and so on with the numbers so we get an idea. I dont remember the order they go in so listing those would help more.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                        Always important to warm the cat up to heat as this man mentioned. Could you list the numbers with the HC/CO/NOx and so on with the numbers so we get an idea. I dont remember the order they go in so listing those would help more.
                        He listed them in that order, but did not list his NO readings for some reason.

My swap thread
                        Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                          So they didn't do the smog test at speed on a dyno? That's wierd, they started using the dyno years ago and eliminated the idle test in Socal. I thought all of Cali would be the same on that.
                          Looks like only your HC failed, how old is your catalytic converter?
                          Not everywhere is, an up around here we are still on the Smog 1 test (two speed, idle and 2500). Really, it's only high density areas that require the dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                            Should be:

%CO2 MEAS || %O2 MEAS|| HC MAX | HC GP | HC MEAS || %CO MAX | %CO GP | %CO MEAS || RESULTS

Meas= measured
                            gp= gross polluter level
                            max = max allowed to pass
                            Last edited by benji; 11-13-2008, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                              He listed them in that order, but did not list his NO readings for some reason.
                              I forgot the order but I can pick out what is what kinda. Its been a while since I have looked at a gas analyzer.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X