Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower ball joint replacement: no press. How do I do it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower ball joint replacement: no press. How do I do it???

My front right LBJ is going. I've been meaning to change them but I don't have the tools. How do I change them????

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

remove spindle, remove retaining ring and beat on it with a fucking hammer.

i used an old wrist pin so i can hold on it while i beat on it. had to use a press to get it back in though,
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I've never seen it taken out with a press, I use a pipe that fits around the joint and then beat the shit out. That always works.

Comment

autozone rents tools that remove BJs, it helped mj213 and I when we had to do his BJs a couple months ago.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
          I've never seen it taken out with a press, I use a pipe that fits around the joint and then beat the shit out. That always works.
          I've never had to remove OR put them back in with a press.

Put a short pipe or a big socket over the balljoint and hammer the fuck out of it(after you remove retaining ring). Then, you'll have to loosen the 4 bolts that are on the back of the spindle to move the hub out of the way enough to slide the new lbj back in. give it a few wacks and all is good.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

They are not pressed in at all. You can beat em out and in, but its easier to use the balljoint clamp. harbor freight sell em for like 30 bux tops. It'll cut your time in half.

Comment

remove the clip, 14mm deep socket over the BJ threads, large hammer, and a lot of fucking agression.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

idk but the last one i did on an acura legend, i was using the largest dead blow in the shop and i coudnt get it back in.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33 View Post
                  remove the clip, 14mm deep socket over the BJ threads, large hammer, and a lot of fucking agression.
                  Exactly the answer I was looking for. I have to remove the hub as well right, to get clearance?

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    Exactly the answer I was looking for. I have to remove the hub as well right, to get clearance?
                    Never done it on a CB7, but on my Mom's Odysseey (Technically same knuckle, 5-lug) I did have to move the hub out of the knuckle a bit for clearance.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

did it on the the knuckles i put into my cb,

HAMMERTIME !!

but the BJ press is good too, i would remove the 4 bearing bolts too so they don't get damaged and while you're there put new front wheel bearings in, you gotta take 3/4 of those parts out to do the ball joints so why not go all the way, safety first
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                        did it on the the knuckles i put into my cb,

HAMMERTIME !!

but the BJ press is good too, i would remove the 4 bearing bolts too so they don't get damaged and while you're there put new front wheel bearings in, you gotta take 3/4 of those parts out to do the ball joints so why not go all the way, safety first
                        True true, I gotta change my left axle anyways. Looks like I'm gonna have a fun time Wednesday

Comment

True true, I gotta change my left axle anyways. Looks like I'm gonna have a fun time Wednesday
                          do it all and do it once !!

left axle
                          left lower ball joint
                          left wheel bearing

then consider the right side
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I didn't have too on my integra. Never did it on accord

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                              do it all and do it once !!

left axle
                              left lower ball joint
                              left wheel bearing

then consider the right side
                              Well the bad balljoint is on the right... though it might be the upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X