Vehicle Speed Sensor .....help..please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Speed Sensor .....help..please

ok besides the vss going out is there anything that could make this fail.....like stop working....is there anything i can check to see if maybe it is bad which may cause the vss to stop working....ive replaced the damn thing 3 times and also grounded it myself and the the wire in the middle of the two are getting power so

check the ground on the plug

Comment

maybe the speedometer needle is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by 92turboaccord View Post
        check the ground on the plug
        i grounded it independently....as in i ran a ground wire myself so its not that

Comment

Originally posted by DRzCB72nr View Post
          maybe the speedometer needle is bad?
          i bought a whole new gauge cluster, still no luck

also im throwing the vss code but hey like i said replaced it twice

Comment

Try running mew wires to the speedo and ecu.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
              Try running mew wires to the speedo and ecu.
              yea that what i was thinking, but i dont know which goes to what on the ecu and what wire is the one for the speedometer except its yellow

Comment

the drive gear for my VSS was totally worn out, I had to recently replace it.

DEVOTE

Comment

do you think that since your gear on the vss was so warn out and rounded off that the gear in the trans might be the same way??? i'd check it out.
                  My cb7

h22a
                  5-spd lsd
                  Lord, grant me the serenity
                  to accept the things I cannot change,
                  the courage to change the things I can,
                  and the wisdom to hide the bodies
                  of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

If I am not mistaken The VSS wire is orange. lokuputha has also made a good point, maybe the internal gear toothing is worn. You said you replaced the VSS already, check the gear.

Let's go through the wiring schematic:

Off the pigtail

Black- Ground

Yellow- Dash Fuse Block, Fuse #1 and Backup Light switch(M/T)/ Gear Select Switch(A?T)

Orange- This has a few places to go:

- Pin 12 on the Cruise control unit
                    - Pin B10 on the ECU (don't confuse with B11, also orange for CYL sensor in the dizzy
                    - Pin A4 on the Gauge Cluster
                    - Pin D9 Auto Tranny Control

Okay do the following tests:

1- Disconnect the connector to the VSS

2- Check for continuity BLK and body ground.

3- Check for voltage, with the key in the on position, between the YEL and body ground. No volts, check the fuse and/or the wiring.

4- Check for voltage, with the key in the on position, between the ORG and body ground. There should be between 4-6 volts. If not it's the speedo circuit or the wiring.

Hope this helps out.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

im having the same problem i replaced mine today and it still dont work. but heres the thing i got one off of a 94 and of course it wasnt the same but i had taken just the sensor off the shaft and put it on mine reset the ecu and it didnt work.. is it cause its from 94?? or is it something else.. cause out here if your check engine light is on you cant pass smog!!

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post
                        the drive gear for my VSS was totally worn out, I had to recently replace it.

where is this

Comment

Originally posted by H22A91CB7 View Post
                          where is this
                          It sits under the speed sensor.
                          Did you replace the whole speed sensor, or just the sensor peice on the top - Also make sure the sensor drive isn't damaged - The small pin with a square drive on one end and 2 flats on the other

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Another thing you can do is, take the speed sensor switch off the speed sensor gear, jack the car up, spin the tires, see if that little pin is spinning. A lot easier than pulling the entire gear mechanism.

Comment

yeah but that dosnt fix the problem man.. is all you gotta do is put a screw driver in it and turn if it dosnt turn then your good on that part.. but somewhere down the line i heard the ""TWO"" speed sensors... is it true??

Comment

Working...
                              X