Timing keeps advancing 40 degrees-help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing keeps advancing 40 degrees-help

Well a few of you have been helping me though my other thread about getting my F22B to start...

But for the most part theres only a couple of people that actually still look at it-so new more specified thread. I'll keep this thread for all the timing related questions and everything else can go in the other.

My problem: My timing keeps advancing 40 degrees everytime I start my engine...?

What would cause this? Could it be bent valves that keep causing it?

Heres a coupe pics to help clerify my problem:

Flywheel-crank-#1 piston TDC=all lined up

and this is where my cam gears are after it starts...

again, before I start the car the cam gears ARE in line with the rest.

Jay
    Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

So let me get this streight... you set your cam timing even with your crank, you start the car, and then both cams evenly jump? Are you sure the belts not jumping or that you are even setting it correctly to begin with?
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
      So let me get this streight... you set your cam timing even with your crank, you start the car, and then both cams evenly jump? Are you sure the belts not jumping or that you are even setting it correctly to begin with?
      Yea...it just doesnt make sense? I was thinking the belt might jump-but hows that possible and both the cams still be aligned together???

Ive went through 2 manuals, verus websites just to make sure I did all the aligning correctly...

I aligned TDC with the compression stroke...cam gears with the holes in the cams...aligned all the marks up...???

Jay

Comment

how do you know you are on the compression stroke?
        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

There is a mark on the flywheel that people often mistake for the TDC mark. Just recently I won lunch from a coworker who kept setting the timing wrong on an F22.
          To be sure you are using the right mark, set the #1 piston at TDC according to the mark, then remove #1 spark plug. Insert a long (at least 10" - 12") 3/8 drive extension into the plug hole and let it come to rest on top of the piston. Slowly rotate the engine a few degrees in either direction. The extension should start do go down right away. Turn the engine in the opposite direction back to TDC. Now turn a few degrees in the opposite direction. The extension should again begin to go down right away. If it doesn't, then the piston is not at TDC.
          In other words, when the piston reaches TDC ( the highest point of travel), the extension will stop rising and start going back down as the piston goes past TDC and starts to decend in the cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
            how do you know you are on the compression stroke?
            When rotating the engine count-clockwise via the crank pulley bolt, stick my thumb in the #1 cylinder plug and feel for the piston to push air out/against my thumb.

Right?

Originally posted by cmrvi1
            There is a mark on the flywheel that people often mistake for the TDC mark. ...I had to shorten this...extension will stop rising and start going back down as the piston goes past TDC and starts to decend in the cylinder.
            Well there is only two marks on my flywheel, TDC mark and a mark for 15degrees advanced. Anyways yea, TDC is common sence...I use a long nail to tell where the piston is.

and when I originally installed everything, I lined the crank pullies up to the mark on the block, and looked at the flywheel and it was pointing at the TDC mark...

Jay

Comment

Working...
            X