Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLP Looooong Shifters

http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

Is this true? I thought that short throw is more "responsive". Not according to these people.

(this looks freaking awesome BTW, like a pickup, i cant wait till they start making it for CB's)

Well yes it's true, there are a lot of track cars with those style shifters because the driver can access the shifter very easily. The EP3 civics had a similar idea about putting the shifter close to the steering wheel. The tall shifter wouldn't be bad but I could imagine the longer throw unless it's fabricated in such a way to reduce the throw as well. I have also seen sequential gearboxes on track cars with the tall shifter, it looks pretty cool.

Comment

I feel I have better control with one hand honestly. But this applies to more of the track/tougue scene. Street driving you can have your hand on the "short" shifter all day.

I dont know the syncro statement. Thats probably true.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

I doubt they will ever make one for a CB7 application. I am working on making my own custom setup though.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
          I doubt they will ever make one for a CB7 application. I am working on making my own custom setup though.
          Chubbykai, a lurker on here, made a bracket for our project CRX.

It's got a stock Accord shifter from the junkyard bolted on it. The whole deal bolts to the exhaust pipe channel, just below where the stock one bolted up to. Total price of making the bracket was like 15 bucks.

We'll take pictures of it in the car this weekend. It works pretty darn well.

EDIT: The picture of it has it missing one of the mounting bushings. I got that last time I went to the yard, so it is complete now.

Comment

ive grinded third because my arm wasnt long enough and i was pinned to the left side of the seat from a right hand sweeper.

i do sit fairly close but not grandma close.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i would prolly give it a try if it was given to me
              51% motherfucker 49% son of a bitch

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                Chubbykai, a lurker on here, made a bracket for our project CRX.

It's got a stock Accord shifter from the junkyard bolted on it. The whole deal bolts to the exhaust pipe channel, just below where the stock one bolted up to. Total price of making the bracket was like 15 bucks.

We'll take pictures of it in the car this weekend. It works pretty darn well.

EDIT: The picture of it has it missing one of the mounting bushings. I got that last time I went to the yard, so it is complete now.
                Not exactly like a FLP shifter.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

My shifter is both longer (as in height) and a shorter throw than stock. To acheive this is quite difficult due to clearing the aperture in the console because the longitudinal cable has to be raised a long way above the stock position where it usually attaches to the lever (if the cable isn't attached a lot higher on the lever then with an extended lever the longitudinal throw becomes greater than the stock throw, or not much shorter, or no shorter).

It can be done if you try really hard, but to clear the console aperture forward edge you need to bend the cable shaft, lower the cradle (by deleting the rubber bushes where it attaches to the tunnel), move the cradle back as far as you can, move the console forward a bit, grind a bit of metal away on the underside of the lever boot retaining 'hoop', and generally waste a lot of time.

My gear knob is now just a short hand drop away from the steering wheel, and the shift nice and short (click / click). Was it worth the hassle, yes...

You can also shorten the lateral throw by extending the short lever associated with the lateral throw, which is also worth doing. Replacing all the rubber bushes at the cable ends with metal bushes is also nice, you can feel the metal bits inside the gearbox moving, rather than feeling something a bit 'rubbery'.

Finally, some CB7s seem to have threaded adjustments at the lever end of the cable ends that allow the position of the gear lever to be adjusted (some don't seem to have this, or have it on only one of the cables), but you can also bend the lever to place the knob in a better relationship to the driver. Be careful though, the lever is hollow and you can 'kink' it.
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                    My shifter is both longer (as in height) and a shorter throw than stock. To acheive this is quite difficult due to clearing the aperture in the console because the longitudinal cable has to be raised a long way above the stock position where it usually attaches to the lever (if the cable isn't attached a lot higher on the lever then with an extended lever the longitudinal throw becomes greater than the stock throw, or not much shorter, or no shorter).

It can be done if you try really hard, but to clear the console aperture forward edge you need to bend the cable shaft, lower the cradle (by deleting the rubber bushes where it attaches to the tunnel), move the cradle back as far as you can, move the console forward a bit, grind a bit of metal away on the underside of the lever boot retaining 'hoop', and generally waste a lot of time.

My gear knob is now just a short hand drop away from the steering wheel, and the shift nice and short (click / click). Was it worth the hassle, yes...

You can also shorten the lateral throw by extending the short lever associated with the lateral throw, which is also worth doing. Replacing all the rubber bushes at the cable ends with metal bushes is also nice, you can feel the metal bits inside the gearbox moving, rather than feeling something a bit 'rubbery'.

Finally, some CB7s seem to have threaded adjustments at the lever end of the cable ends that allow the position of the gear lever to be adjusted (some don't seem to have this, or have it on only one of the cables), but you can also bend the lever to place the knob in a better relationship to the driver. Be careful though, the lever is hollow and you can 'kink' it.
                    pics?, also they dont make a flp shifter for our cars
                    51% motherfucker 49% son of a bitch

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                      Not exactly like a FLP shifter.
                      Stock throw, like the FLP, and pretty much as good accessibility.
                      Obtained by a different method, though.

It'll do until someone actually makes a long stem shifter for the accord.

Comment

Working...
                      X