H22 rear main seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T3aM 83rD View Post
    To get the actual seal out, a guy on the prelude forum said to take off the 12 bolts and then that whole plate should come out, here check it out...
    http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=301856

So according to everyone it's not a good idea to use the crank pulley tool, instead hold the flywheel another way?

Another thing, when reassembling the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate, do I just put them in and tighen the pressure plate, or is there something special I have to do. According to the clutch DIY that I have, it says..."remove shift fork, release bearing and spring
    use break cleaner on spring and fork. Apply grease to fork and main shaft. Use sparingly on the shaft.
    reinstall fork and spring
    slide release bearing onto fork and push it down until you hear it click."

I dont know what he's talking about, will I find out when I have everything apart?
    I'll guide you through everything, Its easy stuff just time consuming.

Comment

lol thanks man, this will be the biggest thing I ever tackled, so just trying to get as much information possible.

Comment

^there is def. nothing wrong w/ being prepared, even if you know you have experienced help! Removing the r. main seal retainer (the plate w/ the 12 bolts, info you posted) is not necessary, it can be changed w/o removing the retainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
          ^there is def. nothing wrong w/ being prepared, even if you know you have experienced help! Removing the r. main seal retainer (the plate w/ the 12 bolts, info you posted) is not necessary, it can be changed w/o removing the retainer.
          It can be but I personally find it easier to remove the plate. Just for the simple fact that I have extra plates and can assemble the seal off the car so when time comes just swap the plates with the new one.

And actually the "proper" way to take off the flywheel is to get to flywheel holder tool from honda. But air impact is still the best and easiest way to get those bolts off.

Comment

Not sure if this is correct, but if im not doing the clutch, I shouldnt have to be messing around with the bearings, shift fork..., because it will all still be assembled in the transmission, correct?

Basically it comes out complete with the transmission and goes back in complete with it. So when I get the tranny off im faced with the pressure plate on the block?

Comment

Not sure if this is correct, but if im not doing the clutch, I shouldnt have to be messing around with the bearings, shift fork..., because it will all still be assembled in the transmission, correct?

Basically it comes out complete with the transmission and goes back in complete with it. So when I get the tranny off im faced with the pressure plate on the block?
              The throwout bearing and the shift fork are not hard to install if they do come out. They only go in one way.

And yes when you drop the tranny they stay together, If you are really paranoid then replace the bearing while you are there.

The only thing that you will really need but not necessary is a clutch alignment tool to put back the clutch.

Comment

I actually have a new extra throw-out bearing just sitting around doing nothing, if it's not that hard to replace I might put in in.

Im going to get the new seal and MTF today. Anything else I need?

Comment

I actually have a new extra throw-out bearing just sitting around doing nothing, if it's not that hard to replace I might put in in.

Im going to get the new seal and MTF today. Anything else I need?
                  Some grease if you dont already have some laying around.

Comment

I have regular sockets, rachets, extentions, hammers, pry bar, pliers, breaker bars (pipes), screw drivers, 36mm socket for the hub, torque wrench....jack, jack stands....

Anything Im missing, except the 12 point sockets?
                    Last edited by T3aM 83rD; 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I have regular sockets, rachets, extentions, hammers, pry bar, pliers, breaker bars (pipes), screw drivers, 36mm socket for the hub, torque wrench....

Anything Im missing, except the 12 point sockets?
                      Not that I remember, Get 1/2" drive 12pt sockets so you can use them on the air gun.

Comment

Working...
                      X