Broken cam or Broken timing belt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken cam or Broken timing belt??

ok i replaced the igniter on the car with a brand new one and still no fire so one of my friends mentioned it might be the timing belt and i dont know much about it but i took the dizzy cap off and turned it over and the rotor didnt turn... does that mean my timing belt is broken or a broken cam...if this isnt the correct way to check then what is??

Take the valve cover off and look at the cam and or belt.
    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
      do i turn it over or can u just look at the cam and tell

Comment

Pull the valve cover and turn the engine over. If the cam doesnt turn then your probably looking at pulling the head, minimum.
        "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

easier way to tell is take off the distribitor cap and crank, if it doesnt turn ur fuked...if it does then u know it is ok.

are you not getting spark? have you ever tested the leads with a volt meter according to the honda book?
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
            x2 just look at it...it will be obvious if either is broken.
            My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
              easier way to tell is take off the distribitor cap and crank, if it doesnt turn ur fuked...if it does then u know it is ok.

are you not getting spark? have you ever tested the leads with a volt meter according to the honda book?
              thats what i did.....and it didnt turn so i guess its the timing belt...but could it be a broken cam?

Comment

Originally posted by H22A91CB7 View Post
                thats what i did.....and it didnt turn so i guess its the timing belt...but could it be a broken cam?
                Does it matter? You'll have to rebuild the cylinder head either way, unless you got really damn lucky.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

to replace the timing belt will i have to remove the main pulley???

Comment

to replace the timing belt will i have to remove the main pulley???
                    If the timing belt broke, you will probably have to replace valves, and yes, you have to remove the crank pulley.
                    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                      If the timing belt broke, you will probably have to replace valves, and yes, you have to remove the crank pulley.
                      wtf??? ok how will i know if the valves need replacing after i replace the timing belt???

Comment

wtf??? ok how will i know if the valves need replacing after i replace the timing belt???
                        the best way for you to do this is to replace the most likely broken belt and try to start the car.
                        (its possible that your cam or gear is busted but unlikely)
                        you might get lucky and the car will fire right up.

our engines are known as interference engines. meaning that when your belt breaks the top of the piston slaps and bends whatever valves are open at the time.

this does not happen EVERY time a belt breaks.
                        i have worked on many hondas that broke a belt and the valves ended up fine. just threw on a new belt and started it up.

many conditions factor into how bad the damage can be.
                        vehicle/engine speed when the belt broke is your main worry.

if the car was doing freeway speeds when it let go you can pretty much guarantee that the head needs rebuilding.

at the worst you have major engine work to be done.

if you are lucky then all you have into it is a belt and some time.

good luck.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

^^^^
                          What he said, lol.

Comment

Yep, remove the valve cover&cam pulley cover and take a look at it. Oh and just to clarify, turn the engine over by hand with a socket on the crank pulley. If you turn it over with the starter with the valve cover off, I'm pretty sure you'll end up with oil splashed everywhere. There is an access hole in the driver's side plastic inner fender that allows direct access to the crank pulley bolt, removing the wheel will help gain access to this.

Oh and, while possible, it is HIGHLY unlikely that the cam broke. Most likely to be the timing belt. Although, it COULD be the cam pulley, pulley bolt, or cam on rare occasions but not likely. Take it apart and see what's up.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Write back if the timing belt is broken, before you try to remove the crank pulley as it is not a straightforward job to remove it. You either need a very strong impact wrench to get it off, or a 50mm crank pulley holder.

or search recent threads under "timing belt" and "powercraft" and "50mm"

Comment

Working...
                              X