yes another shaky Steering Wheel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes another shaky Steering Wheel thread

If I apply my breaks lighly I get a harsh vibration through the steering wheel, if apply the break firmly the vibration goes away/ lessens. my steering doenst feel lose in any way and I know its not the rotors since they are brand new. I rotated my tires thinking that might be the problem but it still acted the same. My alignment if off just a bit but doesnt make a difference if my wheels are aligned or not the vibration will still happen. My tires look evenly worn. my ball joints/tie rods are all fine along with the wheel bearings.

could a little slop in the steering rack cause this? is a little slop in the rack dangerous?

any ideas on where to start and look?

Thanks

sounds to me like the rack. you could try to adjusting the rack guide adjustment which basically adds friction to the rack.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

thanks for the response..

if it is the rack is this somthing that could lead to a complete failure of the rack?

Thanks

Comment

how long ago did u replace the rotors??and dont only assume that they are smooth and true when they are new....been there before....i would say if the rotors were just done and this is happening make sure everything is tight...could be a loose bolt....if it was something in the steering like a bad rack u would prolly notice it all the time, or at least at random speeds and or over bumps...i would check all the bolts, and then have the rotors machined to be safe...dont want to go looking for something else if its just rotors...and then proceed with further inspection....alsovery important....if u just replaced the pads and pver lubed the back of the pads the lube can "melt"onto the rotors causing something like u are talking about...it will definately cause a vibration/shake
        Lost Motion Inc. Repair and Performance Automotive

Comment

like the dude b4 said check the rotors also air pressure make sure everything is in the right place if i think of anything else ill tell u

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

yea id check the bolts that fasten the hub tot he rotor. i think i warped a rotor by leaving one hub bolt off because it rounded and i didnt bother getting a new one.

check all the torque specs.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
            X