anyone rebuilt a brake caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone rebuilt a brake caliper?

Is it worth it or it is better the just buy a remanufactored one?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

I've done it. It helps out tremendously if your $ is funny.
    "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
    ><((((º>

Comment

Its a lot cheaper and just as effective. Buying the an already rebuilt caliper is just more of a convience.

Comment

I hear finding the rebult kit is a pain.

but the rebuild part is easy

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

autozone should sell it or kragen, if not go on there site and order it.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Personally, I would just get the rebuild.

I have done it several times and it just isn't worth the trouble. It is doable, but it is a PITA.

Also, DO NOT use cheap ass seals. You will be replacing them in less than 6 months time. I promise you.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

im just thinking if my bore is fucked there is not much a rebuild is gonna do right?

Comment

The caliper bore condition isn't all that critical (should be reasonably smooth though), because the rubber seal slides on the outside of the piston as the piston moves, not the bore surface. The seal seals against the caliper body in the groove at the entrance to the bore, which is very unlikely to be damaged (i.e. badly corroded).

The only issue with the bore is that it shouldn't be rough enough to damage the outside of the piston. If needed I'd clean the bore up with some fine abrasive paper followed by Scothbrite, then thouroughly clean.
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

thanks...well i think im gonna get a rebuild for convenience issue and the fact that my caliper is prob original and very old.

Comment

Working...
                  X