Replacement of fron motor mount/thermostat/radiator - Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement of fron motor mount/thermostat/radiator - Pics

Hey all, well recently my radiator went on my 91 EX by means of a leak on the top plastic cover. I decided that since I needed to replace the radiator I might as well replace the front motor mount as well. I had a suspicion that it was gone, and after taking it off I was right. These are pics of what the old motor mount looked after removal:

As you can see the motor mount was more than gone! Thanks to the previous postings on CB7 I was able to purchase a genuine Honda motor mount from ebay from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...925511099&rd=1

Got it for alittle bit more than $60 and the service and product was great!

Well, since I needed a new radiator since that was my main problem I decided to search the web and ebay, and ebay scored again!

I was able to get a OEM like KOYO from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Once again I got it for $90 and the product and price to me at least was great! The service was fast and very professional.

Now since I had to replace the radiator I figured that I needed to change the thermostat as well, and for that part I went to the Honda dealership. Of course nothing is cheap there, and $20 later I had a brand new thermostat. Good thing that I did snce this is what the old one looked like:

If you look closely you can see that the rubber seal around the inner opening was already gone. That explains why last winter when it the weather got minus 0 here the car would get really cold, down to nothing while driving in the expressway, coolant was just leaking pass it with engine pressure.

In all the removal of the radiator was the hardest. Luckily I had a friend helping me out and we got it out after a little bit of trouble. Then came the motor mount and what I feared the most, but I was pleasently surprised that it came off relatively easy since the radiator was off and I that gave me a lot more leverage room to put a wrench in there. Regardless the nuts were not that hard, and the new one went in no problem. Also thanks to the posts here the explained to remove the bolt part, and not the nut! The thermostat was the easiest. it took me 10 minutes to replace that!

Well, the car feels so much better now, and a lot of the vibration has gone away. I still have some under hard acceleration and while making a turn, so it may be something suspension related.

Just wanted to say thanks all for the great help this site has been in gettng my ride working once again!

X
    Last edited by laz; 10-02-2004, 12:50 AM.

WOW. Nice write up and work.

good job!
    Noobie my ASS.

Comment

if you wanna lessen the vibration you should get a motor mount insert its only 20 bucks from lightning motorsports. i have one and a couple of other people here too it helps alot.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I had fun doing this job!

Now h22sparkle aren't those motor mount inserts only for worn out motor mounts? I looked into that alternative first, but they are only for manual transmissions, and I got an AT. I don't think the vibrations is coming from there anymore, and I hope my back motor mount is not busted.

The new motor mount did make things feel really better, but for a 13 yr old car I think I will never be able to get rid of all vibration.

I know I should have taken a pic of the new mount, but there is really nothing busted to see.

BTW my ride has 117K miles, not bad since the motor mount and radiator were original and lasted that long!

X

Comment

that mount is for the motor itself not for the tranny if thats what your sayin and it does help wuite a bit you should try it they are literally the same.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
            that mount is for the motor itself not for the tranny if thats what your sayin and it does help wuite a bit you should try it they are literally the same.
            Hum, ok I am lost now. well i replaced my motor mount with a brand new one so I am not quite sure why I would need a insert as well? Is that what you are trying to say to put a polyurethane insert in a new motor mount? Would not that make it too stiff?

To your other question and what I meant is that since I replaced the front motor mount and it still vibrates I hope that my rear motor mount did not get busted since I rode with the front motor mount busted for a while. And I also found out from the website that the mont is only applicable to the manual tranny.

pheeew, that was a lot!

Comment

okay you replaced the fornt motormount. ok now im tellin you that you should throw an insert in there as well to aid it. Okay now as for the rear mount just inspect it to see if theres any cracks or leaks. Thats not true about the mount ask them for a 5speed one that mount is the same as mine and mine is a manual

Comment

Ok I have a question, I have a little hole right underneath the overfill plastic thing with the hose right underneath the radiator cap. Now I dont want to have to buy another radiator just because of a little hole, So my question is can I buy some sort of epoxy to stop this from happening?
                Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

is it leaking at all?

Comment

Yeah it leaking a little not like squirting out. You can only see a small amount thats allready dried up, so it's just a little bit of green goop.
                    Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                    i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

JB weld and let it sit for 24 hours?

Prep the hell outa that surface though.
                      Noobie my ASS.

Comment

That is the same type of leak I had. It was from the upper right part and it would only leak when the car was running. After the car stopped it would dry and just form green spots. I could smell it though when the car was running and I stoped for a light or something. I just decided to replace it, but I still have the old radiator in the box if anyone wants it.

Comment

yeup exactly...told u it be that thermostat.

honda thermostats are alot better than the normal auto store thermostats, they have a thicker spring
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                          X