Warped Rotors maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warped Rotors maybe?

When braking over 30 the car shakes like a bitch! and yeah i mean bitch! on the highway is the worst when i have some hard braking.

I was told its prob the rotors.
    Is there anyway to tell that they are warped by looking at them or what procedure can you use?

also i have some brand new rotors but they have rust on them how can i clean it off and make it nice and shiny...

Will this hert performance if theres rust and stuff on it?

when your brakes are not hot , run your finger over them,

you will be able to tell if they are warped..
    Last edited by accordzoom; 09-30-2004, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by accordzoom
      when your brakes are not hot , run your finegr over them,

you will be able to tell if they are warped..
      sometimes not all the time...its really hard to day

but in any situation when ur moving and ur car shakes and ur steering wheel shakes then its ur rotors that are warped.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

sounds like your rotors ARE warped.

You CAN NOT see this warpage, or FEEL it! It is too small. You CAN feel grooves, but that has nothing to do with warpage.

Use light sandpaper or naval jelly to take the rust off. NO it won't hurt either.
        Noobie my ASS.

Comment

the rust should wear it self off over time from driving, dont worry about it.. deifnalty sounds like warped rotors though. and if you can feel warpage, you've got EXTREMELY warped rotors.
          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Originally posted by slobluaccord
            sounds like your rotors ARE warped.

You CAN NOT see this warpage, or FEEL it! It is too small. You CAN feel grooves, but that has nothing to do with warpage.

Use light sandpaper or naval jelly to take the rust off. NO it won't hurt either.
            MY BAD!

haha
            relax on the caps dude

Comment

alright so what about the new rotors i have? I thing there just oem Brembo's theres some rust.. and buildup... if i use 1000 grit sandpaper think they will be okay?

Comment

any sand paper, i use like 100....but it wont do shit to the rotor..just cleans it....

just resurface ur shit
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                  any sand paper, i use like 100....but it wont do shit to the rotor..just cleans it....

just resurface ur shit
                  Humm, correct if Im wrong, but if you use a rough sandpaper you could end up scoring/scratching the rotors, right? Then you'll have to get the turned with a machine to get them back to smoothage. That just doesnt make sense...

Spray some brake cleaner on them...
                  If there is any rust still on them, dont worry about it, the brake pads will wear it off.

Jay
                  Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by akkordlayinkit
                    Humm, correct if Im wrong, but if you use a rough sandpaper you could end up scoring/scratching the rotors, right? Then you'll have to get the turned with a machine to get them back to smoothage. That just doesnt make sense...

Spray some brake cleaner on them...
                    If there is any rust still on them, dont worry about it, the brake pads will wear it off.

Jay
                    yes it will leave marks...but the point about using sand paper is to clean the pad of its shinny smoothness. i think its referd to as fade. its when the brake pad has been exposed to a extreme amount of heat an doesnt brake well any more....at the same time this creates a layer on the pad, shinny due to the high heat and the quality of the pad dimminishes.

now when you sand the rotor only so much...just a couple of strokes you create a kinda rough layer (if u remember the rotor is fairly smooth) and that will clean off the brake pads. in the honda book it is said to use sandpaper...

after about 50 to 100 miles the scratches will be gone....its not like ur using 5 grit sand paper...nah i use anything i have, from 100 to about 500...even course is fine but just dont put hella hard pits...

also when u sand ur rotors u will feel ur car "BITE" more when you brake.

this is the reason for slotted rotors. the slotted rotors increase brake bite becasue at the same time its cleaning the pads

its safe. after clean off with brake cleaner.

the reason why a machine is used to get the rotor back to the right setting is when the rotor is warped and not in shape ne more. it has nothing to do with smoothness though it does create a nice smooth surface. but it really creates a flat surface. thats the point of "turning" a rotor.

some shops after turning the rotor use a steel pad and a drill and run it across the rotor to create what we would create by sanding as well.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

LISTEN TO ACCORDZTECH HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.
                      YOUR ROTORS ARE WARPED MY DID EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT YOU SHOULD GET SLOTTED ROTORS AND NEW WHEEL BEARINGS BECAUSE YOUR FRONT BRAKES AINT THE EASIEST BRAKES TO CHANGE SO IF YOU DO IT DO IT RIGHT YOU'LL BE HAPPY IN THE LONG RUN CAUSE I SURE AM. I DID IT CERAMIC PADS ARE THE WAY TO GO.
                      ACCORDEX92
                      CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDEX92
                        LISTEN TO ACCORDZTECH HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.
                        YOUR ROTORS ARE WARPED MY DID EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT YOU SHOULD GET SLOTTED ROTORS AND NEW WHEEL BEARINGS BECAUSE YOUR FRONT BRAKES AINT THE EASIEST BRAKES TO CHANGE SO IF YOU DO IT DO IT RIGHT YOU'LL BE HAPPY IN THE LONG RUN CAUSE I SURE AM. I DID IT CERAMIC PADS ARE THE WAY TO GO.
                        DUDE I THINK YOU NEED A NEW KEYBOARD. IT SEEMS YOUR CAPS LOCK IS STUCK ON.
                        R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                        My members ride page
                        Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

ha ha.

Just throw your NEW rotors on, and if you got the cash, do the wheel bearings.

also, as someone else stated, buy "CERAMIC" pads. They are the shit. Quite, cleaner, stop better.

under 40 bucks.
                          Noobie my ASS.

Comment

ok coolness

Comment

ceramic pads are good...no doubt, but if u slap that on some cheap ass rotors they will kill them cause they are harsh to them due to higher heat.

either that or just resurface ur shit and keep ur pads

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                              X