Tranny rebuild...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny rebuild...

Ok guys I have my H22 ready to throw in but im in need of a tranny. I am converting over to 5spd but I cant seem to find a tranny cheap enough. I have an Auto tranny thats been sitting in my yard for a few years. I tried taking it apart but couldnt do so.

Alot of people say not to take it apart if I dont know what im doing, but its either I try it and have a chance of it working or it not, and I have to continue to not drive the cb and wait for a 5spd.

Iv also read that dirt is what will cause a tranny to fail. So I wanted to tear it apart piece by piece very carefuly. And wash all the gears and what not.

So can anyone give me any isight on how to take the tranny apart. Iv taken out the torque converter and tried taking that housing apart but it wont pull off.

This is the kind of thing that pays to get a professional to do. This isn't like a suspension install or something.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
      This is the kind of thing that pays to get a professional to do. This isn't like a suspension install or something.
      No, its more like an engine rebuild. Easy. Don't get confused and intimidated by the way the internals look. Rebuilding a trans is not much harder than rebuilding an engine.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Im not going to have it rebuilt professionaly. In that case it would still be cheaper to save up for the 5spd.

Does anyone know how to take it apart though? Is there a how to anywere?

Comment

Search google.

But I'd just save up for a 5 speed.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

You will need a clean, large, preferably metal work bench.

keep EVERYTHING in order that you take it out...don't take pics...don't bag stuff up...lay it out...

NOTE the way EVERYTHING is positioned...if you take a snap ring out, it needs to go back in facing the EXACT same way...or else you'll ruin the tranny.

Keep things clean

BE CAREFUL and look out for snap rings.

you should NEVER have to force anything...if it doesn't come out...there's something keeping it in.

BE CLEAN!

USE nitrile gloves

Autos are easier to rebuild then a manual...while there are more parts andyou have to be more careful, it comes apart and goes together much much easier...no pressing.

I've rebuilt toyota tranny a few times, snap rings can get you cause you don't always see 'em and they can be a pain to get at sometimes. you'll need the right pliers to get 'em all...I've never done a honda tranny so i can't give you heads up on it.

The BEST thing I did that helped me was to take the first thing out...lay it down AS IT WAS LAYING in the tranny, the next thing behind it...and so on...that way when you go to put it back together you won't miss anything.

Get a manual that tells you how to rebuild it. It's really cool to see how they work, so cool. I've found that on something this complex...people tend to leave little things out. Something they don't see as needing to be pointed out (like which way the snap ring should face) they'll not think to mention...a manual is best...i don't know if the factory manual will work...
            ____

Comment

Well thanks. I was ouside trying to tear it apart and got some things done but it was just a big mess. I still couldnt part he housing from the internal gears...

An idea poped into my head. When I took out my f22 I sold the f22 automatic that was in the car to a friend who had an accors sitting, the only problem is that it wouldnt shift gears by itself. You had to manualy shift them. What might that be? I could get that tranny off him for cheap...

Comment

i guess that could be the TCU, im pretty sure if it was a mechanical issue you couldnt shift manually either
                OHIO CB7'S #11
                SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

eh I wouldnt reuse the clutches. esp. the paper types. also theres some sensor/valves in it you can change too.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                  01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                  93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                  93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                  X