Tranny problems and engine questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny problems and engine questions

Hey, im having a problem with my transmission, and my guess is synchro's. I was wondering if anyone may know what the problem is or shed some light as to what you might think it could be, how to fix it, and approx how much. When driving in 4th gear, the transmission has a loud whine at low RPMs, when in 5th gear, again the loud whine persists at low RPM's, and when driving at an RPM any lower then 2,500... It keeps popping back into neutral, but if you keep it above 2,500 or keep a fair amount of strain on the transmission, it stays in. I have a 93 accord lx, and its got A LOT of km's on it, so I know its definatly something wearing out, getting a new car unfortunatly isnt a new option does anyone have any ideas? any information would be appreciated..

as for my second question

The engine in my accord is the standard F22A1.. SOHC, my question about that is, Is it an interference motor? or non interference motor? and what is the difference between interference and non interference motors, apart from when your timing belt goes, you have to replace your head cause your valves get smashed! *or is that in both?* if not, which is it, the interfernce or n/i motor that you have to replace heads after the belt goes.

As far as the tranny, how are you on oil? Have you ever changed it? I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with your tranny, but many things are solved by changing your tranny oil. Use regular old 10W-30.

The F22 is an interference motor.

Meaning that the valves and the piston, at different times, will occupy the same portion of space within the cylinder.

That's why valves get bent when the timing goes or the timing belt fails. If the valves and the piston are not in synch with each other, they collide and bam, dead motor.
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

hmm, thanks for the info on the motor..
      as far as the tranny goes... I actually havent changed the oil in a while, and Im probably going to do that this weekend, I was told it could be a throw out bearing going.... but I dont understand why that would only effect certain gears. To my knowledge the throw out bearing was a key part to the clutch assembly, but I dunno.. if it was the bearing, think its possible to buy just a bearing, and not a whole clutch kit?

Comment

Ya, that does sound weird. Not being an expert on the whole tranny... it doesn't make sense that it would affect some gears and not all.

As far as the release bearing.... yikes, that's a bitch and a half.

If you're going to replace the release bearing, you might as well go ahead and do the whole clutch and pressure plate. In fact, not a bad idea to do the flywheel too, depending on mileage.

The release bearing is down inside the tranny and if you're going to do that, you have to drop the tranny anyway. If you're going to drop the tranny, you might as well save yourself the hassle and do the clutch right then too.

You can pick up an Exedy OEM replacement clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and alignment tool off eBay for under $100 shipped.

Comment

change your tranny oil with 2 bottles of synchromesh from the gm dealer i think its what 20 hucks a bottle or something i dont know well worth the money imo. I usd it synchro squeel went away after half a week or so when the stuff went in.

Comment

Is synchromesh something you leave in or just a treatment to be swapped out later?

Comment

Its just a very good oil based lubricant that works well witht he tranny and works its magic on our tranny and stops its bitch whining thats all and i like it. And yes you can swap it out later but why?

Comment

Just wondering, I didn't now if it was a treatment or a replacement for regular old oil.

So it doesn't do any of the goofy things like eat away at seals or gaskets?

Comment

No not at all it helps. I can personally vouche for that and there are lot of peop-le on this board who can too say that gm synchromesh is one of the best.

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X