Steering wheel shake when car loaded with passenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel shake when car loaded with passenger

For around 2 month now my steering wheel will start to shake when i drive at speeds 120kph/75mph. However, i've just noticed today that this only occurs when i have passengers in my vehicle. To confirm this i drove around the same road with and without a passenger up to a speed of 130Kph/80Mph. The steering wheel only started shaking when a passenger was in the front seat.

Anyone think that this maybe only a wheel balancing issue? The passenger's weight is around 130lb and i'm only 150lb.

Swapping the tires front to back didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks for any help.

I'd try having the wheels balanced, maybe a bad bushing?

Mine did it as well, had it aligned, got new tires, had em balanced, still does it. I've got some bad sway bar end link bushings, not sure if that'd cause it, but, they need to be replaced

Comment

i've got new tires on around april, i've also replaced the lower ball joints and both wheel bearings last year.

Would a worn out lower control arm bushing cause this?

Comment

check your axles for any slop in the CV joints. That also causes a shaking at those speeds, ESPECIALLY while accelerating. You might have a bad pass. side CV which is stressed when the pass. sits there and adds weight to that side of the car.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Ive noticed that the few times ive gotten on the highway with a loaded car, usually 3-4 ppl, the rear end gets fishy. Kinda feels like its gonna slide out and i have to really keep ahold of the wheel.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

my black 92 cb does that when I first got it.
            I check ball joint,bearing,tie rod, blah blah most of the things that might cost it.

Nothing wrong with it.
            So i did the simple thing, switch the tires around/rotate tires.

That fix the problem.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
              Ive noticed that the few times ive gotten on the highway with a loaded car, usually 3-4 ppl, the rear end gets fishy. Kinda feels like its gonna slide out and i have to really keep ahold of the wheel.

Could it be outter tie rod?

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

I dont know.

Ive only gotten on the highway with 3-4 ppl like 2 or 3 times. But on my trip from AZ to MO, my car was packed with stuff, and it didnt get fishy at all the entire trip.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                Originally posted by Jarrett
                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
                  I dont know.

Ive only gotten on the highway with 3-4 ppl like 2 or 3 times. But on my trip from AZ to MO, my car was packed with stuff, and it didnt get fishy at all the entire trip.

My brown accord used to be like that after a small accident.
                  Only happens if more ppls are in it and at all small bump with ppls.

Replace two outer tie rod and problem was fix.
                  You can double check.

Comment

Working...
                  X