Good Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Tools

What tool set would be good for engine rebuilding and everything else to do with our cars?

there is gonna be alot of people who wont be able to accurately answer that particular question. But if i were to try and begin to answer that question, i'd say you best bet would be to check of websites for

Mac Tools

SnapOn

Craftsman

Napa

and true mechanic "tool chest" can cost upwards of $7000-$9000 that has pretty much any "hand tool" you will ever need

-sean
    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
    Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Yeah, good tools are very expensive. Theyre worth it and sometimes have a lifetime/replacement guarantee, but still.

Top brands, IMO, would be the ones Sean mentioned. There's a few more but i cant think at the moment.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
      Originally posted by Jarrett
      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I know I am going to take crap for this but Sears, might be good to look into.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

I got a Craftsman 95 piece mechanics tool set for like 60 bucks and then got various extensions, breaker bar, and a inch lbs as well as ft-lbs torque wrench. That was enough to do a Head Gasket on my car. Also get a deep socket set and a swivel 1/4 inch socket. I got those at Harbor Freight as well as both click style torque wrenches.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I wouldn't go with Harbor Freight or similar low end tools, cause you will just be setting yourself up for headaches.

I'd go craftsmen or better. All of my tools are craftsmen, and while they aren't Snap On or Matco they haven't let me down yet, and I say that having replaced engine bearings, swapped engines, etc. I also haven't had to spend a fortune on tools. Really, if you are just going to be a shade tree mechanic, you don't need Snap On. It's nice and all, but a $200 ratchet is a little excessive.
            1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Harbor Freight stuff are pretty good if you get the right ones. Their impact sockets are great actually. Very strong and take the abuse. Their pry bar set is good also. I manage to break the plastic handle on one of them after a year of hard abuse but its still good. The bar itself never bent.

HF is a hit or miss on certain things if you dont know what you are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
                Harbor Freight stuff are pretty good if you get the right ones. Their impact sockets are great actually. Very strong and take the abuse. Their pry bar set is good also. I manage to break the plastic handle on one of them after a year of hard abuse but its still good. The bar itself never bent.

HF is a hit or miss on certain things if you dont know what you are getting.
                Craftsman too! Free replacement on broken hand tools. You can't go wrong!

Comment

you can't beat 14.99 for a 20-150ft-lbs click style torque wrench. Its been good to me so far. I also got a 1/4 inch lbs one that i did my head gasket w/. My car's still running fine.

Sears is nice, but they wanted 24.99 for a beam type 0-75ft-lb wrench. So i guess you gotta pay to play.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

My Craftsman did the job for me. If you want the shit, look more into Snap-on.

In all honesty, you wont need "the shit" tools.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      you can't beat 14.99 for a 20-150ft-lbs click style torque wrench. Its been good to me so far. I also got a 1/4 inch lbs one that i did my head gasket w/. My car's still running fine.

Sears is nice, but they wanted 24.99 for a beam type 0-75ft-lb wrench. So i guess you gotta pay to play.

I have personally seen a person's Harbor Freight torque wrench be off by 7 foot lbs (checked by a Snap On torque wrench). So, it might work for you, but I will never buy anything there, other than maybe a pry bar because it doesn't really matter how good a pry bar is.

Anyways, is $25 really that bad for a wrench that is magnitudes better in quality? And if price is a big issue, check out ebay for older craftsmen tools. I've seen some insane deals on there, and even if it breaks you can get it replaced due to the lifetime warranty.
                      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Im gonna go with a Craftsman Set similar to what Losiracer2 said. I have two torque wrenches and a bunch of other tools so i think i should be good..Thanks Everyone

Comment

i COMPLETELY misunderstood you. I didnt know all you wanted was a little socket set. LOL, when you said "everything else to do with our cars" i though you meant like EVERYTHING, multiple inch drives, multiple depth sockets, box wrenches,flair wrenches, hex tools, channel locks, pliars ETC..... If you wanted a hand tool box then, i woulda just asked for a good socket set ( I use craftsmen) just remember one VERY important thing.

"There is a right tool for EVERY job"

some of which a mere socket set cant accomplish. trust me, im the king of doing it the hard way. lol

-sean
                          Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                          Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

i have a 276 piece craftsman mechanic tool set it red and plastic and has like 4 drawers......works fine for me...and i also have a 33 gallon craftsman compressor with 1/2 impact!
                            93 SE F22A6

Comment

Just bought my tool set and some extensions

Comment

Working...
                              X