brake booster difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake booster difference

is there a difference between the ABS and NON-ABS brake booster?

asking about just the booster? I think so but not 100% sure. I know theres some MC that are different sizes

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I think maybe the rod is different?
      wat?

Comment

i know the mastercylinders are different.

i think the Boosters are different, BUT im not sure. i think thats why my non-abs conversion has kept me home for a fucking week.

Comment

the part of the MC that goes into the booster come in to sizes, 1" & 3/4" I believe. so the booster might be different

try magestic honda. & see if the ABS & nonABS boosters have the same item numbers

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

ok i did the cross check and all the booster's part #s are the same except for the ABS booster.

it was under the "mastercylinder" section.

im fucking broke now cause i bought a new master cylinder and 2 brake calipers.......ill see if i can hunt one down.

Comment

yeah the boosters are different. The ABS booster is a larger volume than the non abs booster. It also has a longer rod that goes to the MC, you will need a non abs booster so that when you install it the rod isnt pushing into the MC until you apply the brakes. You can get a used one from salvage for pretty cheap i think, i got my abs booster for 25$.
              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

in my town, there is only 1 u pull it left so theyre fucking super expensive.

Comment

there is an adjustment on the booster to adjust the length of the rod. its on the firewall side of the booster (this isnt the adjuster for pedal, thats a different adjustment which i think you have already tried adjusting). I tried to adjust mine before i bought one, but i couldnt even get the lock nut to budge so i gave up.
                  http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

I removed ABS and swapped to standard lines, but I am still using the larger 1" ABS MC and Booster. I swapped one fitting and made one flare to make things fit.

I have heard that the rods are different lengths and you can swap them if you have the parts, I don't know personally.
                    There is a label on top of the booster with the model #.
                    The Non-ABS one is a 260v, I think
                    The ABS one is a 290v-2
                    I found an extra 290v-2 on a 95 integra GSR, same part, so integras without ABS should work for our cars too. Most civic systems are smaller, just match part numbers.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                    PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                      I removed ABS and swapped to standard lines, but I am still using the larger 1" ABS MC and Booster. I swapped one fitting and made one flare to make things fit.

I have heard that the rods are different lengths and you can swap them if you have the parts, I don't know personally.
                      There is a label on top of the booster with the model #.
                      The Non-ABS one is a 260v, I think
                      The ABS one is a 290v-2
                      I found an extra 290v-2 on a 95 integra GSR, same part, so integras without ABS should work for our cars too. Most civic systems are smaller, just match part numbers.
                      This is my set-up as well.

Thanks for posting this years ago. I now know the ABS booster will be no problem. I have to make sure the rubber seal on my new MC is good.

Questions is now, do I get a remaned or JY booster?

I guess go reman.
                      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The brake booster should be interchangable with any other booster that has a similar shape for the master cylinder.

For Hondas, in my experience, you have three main types of Brake Booster. One that mounts horizontally, ---- Like so, one that mounts Diagonally, / like that, and one that mounts Diagonally like \.

Obviously, you cannot mount MCs to boosters that won't accept them based on how the studs mount them, but you can use (as far as I can tell) any Brake Booster, as long as you have a Master Cylinder that fits.

For example, in my set up, I am using a Brake Booster from a 2011 Honda Civic, in combination with a Master Cylinder from a 98 or so Accord. It mounts Horizontally, and I was going to use an S2000 MC, but I realized that the brake line outlets were on the wrong side.

I used the Civic booster to reduce the amount of assistance I was getting from the vacuum, because I wanted a heavier brake pedal.

Any other questions you have about the interchangeability of these pieces, and what you may have to do to make them fit together properly, I will be happy to answer. I had to do a small amount of work to make my booster and master fit together and act happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X