Now what?screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now what?screwed?

See,trouble maker my CB7....... I just changed my tranny fluid 2 days ago with honda atf.And today,when I was driving in the afternoon,at a stop.I took a look out of my left side window,what's that??? I saw some smoke coming from front,"o,must be from the car in front of me.""what?o,no,that's a E46 330CI, impossible,O,what the?!?!!?!?!" I looked more carefully at the smoke and it's from the left and right side of my front tires.It's going out from my engine compartment.Cauz I was going to work, I couldn't even stop and take a look.When I was having my break in the evening time,I walked out and drove the car for severall spins,still,some smoke came out.I stopped and opened the hood,can't see where exactly the smoke was from,but seems to be lower part,not the upper things cauz the smoke was coming up from somewhere at the bottom.It's sort of light brown and black smoke,oil smell for sure.I recalled that I had met this once few weeks ago when I got my oil changed,it smoked for a while cauz the tech did my change spilled some oil out.But this time,what's it? The tranny fluid? My temp gauge is at 1/3 as usual and engine idles smooth as well.Exhaust manifold gasket? Tranny gone? Valve seals? Any idea guys? I think I am not that lucky these days,problem after problem.Life,this is life......................
    Any input is to be appreciated!
    Last edited by exexexex; 09-20-2004, 06:25 AM.

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

And I see the smoke is not from the front grill,it's from left and right of my tires,seems to be the lower part of the engine compart.

And at night when I was sending one of my co-workers home,I was thinking"don't make me embrassed by giving out smoke again my ride,please!" However,it didn't..................... No idea what's that......
    Last edited by exexexex; 09-20-2004, 05:43 AM.

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

Comment

Do you have an automatic or manual trans? Just making sure you didn't put the wrong lubricant in. Also, how much of the trans. lubricant you put in? Did you tighten up both the drain plug? Depending on what trans you have the fill plug as well?
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Did you put the transmission dip stick in all the way? If it isn't the internal pressure can make the fluid blow out the top of the dip stick tube and onto the hot engine, creating smoke.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

did u smell it? does it smell like tranny fluid, maybe u just spilled some and its easy to clean with water.

also ur tranny is shifting find i assume so i dont think its fuked.

now if u take out that dipstick and see smoke in there, then u have to be worried...but either than that...humm
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Get under the car and make sure that there is no oil on the flex pipe. On my nissan I hade a bad oil pan and oil seeped onto to the flex pipe causing it to smoke really bad once the flex pipe got hot?
            Originally posted by rickyduckworth
            i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

guys,I just got home from work.I think my car is............. My heart is going down to the bottom now.Today before I went to work,I let the idle for like 20 minutes,but still,no smoke at all. Just when I was on my way to work,it smoked again,just like 5 minutes after I began driving it on the road.I think it's the tranny,I checked the dip stick,it's tight,no problem.Again,I had no time to check what's wrong with it.When I got off work,it's night time again,no chance to check it as always.I felt really bad now guys,seems that a large amount of money will be gone very soon on my ride,any possible situation could cause this,any idea guys? Really need your help!THanx!!!

Comment

i told u take out the dipstick and see if there is smoke inside the tranny
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

oh smell the fluid on the dipstick smell bitter or burnt? what color

Retro!

Hater

Comment

normal color cauz I jsut change it 2 days ago,no burnt smell I think.I read one article just now online said"Growling, grinding, smoking, jumping¡ªthose may sound like the symptoms of a bad teenager, but when transmissions have problems internally, they start doing those things, too. A growling sound often indicates that the planetary has a problem and needs to be replaced. Related causes could be normal wear and tear, or it could have been distorted due to the trans- mission overheating.

A distinct grinding sound also may indicate a problem with the planetary, or it could mean the front pump assembly has gone bad. A worn, distorted, or mutilated planetary may cause the car to jump or lurch as well. Smoke coming from the transmission may mean the thrust washers have gone out, or it may indicate slipping clutches. Slipping clutches cause heat, which in turn causes smoke when the fluid goes past its limits."

What's planetary? Could be problem? Cost big bucks to fix??? Thanx guys!!

Comment

I believe that nothing to do with the engine,I think all the "clicking sound when accelerate,grinding sound sometimes,rough down shifting between 3rd and 4th,and finally the smoke",all cauz the internal tranny problem.Is that for real?

Comment

For oil leakage,should be any oil left on the place I park my car for the whole night right? But I didn't see anything,even at my working place still nothing.I just don't have time to check myself,sigh,guys,I think what I am gonna do now is to wake up early early tomorrow morning and wait for my shop to open.Hope I can still have a good sleep tonight I will prepare for the worst,lose my car..............

Comment

if its the tranny then oh well...it was bound to go sooner or later...800 bucks or more fix. id let it die completley then fix it.

is there smoke comming out of the tranny dipstick hole

Retro!

Hater

Comment

guys,here is the story for yesterday morning.
                            I could not sleep well at that night cauz I was worrying about my car.I woke up at about 8:30 and got to the shop that always doing the job to my car at about 9:30. I told the manager there is smoke coming from the engine compartment.He was like when he heard this."Impossible my friend,we did all the maintanance for you,no way!"I told him for sure there is.And he opened the hood,"no smoke,where is the smoke?""I took a look,o,nothing.........."But I insisted there is smoke cauz it's been several days already."Ok,my friend,I will ask one guy to go for a test drive with you."One of their mechanics drove out with me for a test drive.He revved my car over 5k rpm several times to "make sure there is smoke".
                            When we got back to the shop.opened the hood,smoking again,the manger drove my car in and raised it up.I followed him there,and took a look.As soon as the manger took a look at the car's bottom front,he turned to me and asked to go inside and sit down,and relax,and he even gave me a cup of tea himself.I was kinda got confused since we are familiar and he was acting weired.
                            15 minutes later,he came in again and said"you know what my friend?last time,we did the oil change,the filter was not good,so when you rev high,the oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold,that's all about the smoke.sorry about that,we changed the new one and changed the oil for you,of course there is no charge for this"
                            "o,............................................... ............................................"

o,well,there are several things that lead to this,I think for me,I don't have a garage,I don't have a good jack,if I have either one of those,I may already spotted the problem.But my thought on transmission was wrong,the clicking noise is suspension as the mechanic drove my car at that day told me.He said that clicking sound is suspension and it's not very bad.I don't know exactly what he's saying but I will put that in my mind.I think my following mods can be added to the list now,lol.

Thanx all for ideas and supports.sorry to bother you guys with such a small issue revealed at last.I apologize for this and appreciate your inputs.Thanx guys!

Comment

When I took mine to honda they didn't put the fill cap on all the way and oil went everywhere...they steam cleaned my engine and made it all purdy. I would ask them to get a detailing for free (of course) on the bay. Get it cleaned now before it sits for too long.

And more free oil changes are always good too .

Glad it wasn't the tranny
                              No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

Working...
                              X