Should be hesitation eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be hesitation eh?

hey guys,I might have given the wrong word about the syptom about my car,I used a word"puke" to dress it.After reading so many posts,Now I can say it's a hesitation or engine sputtering.
    It only happens to light throttle and only at a certain RPM,around 1500-2000,first gear acceleration only,doesn't apply to any other gear at this RPM range.It's fine that I can still drive,just keep away from slow acceleration,just hit gas a bit harder than my usual light foot or maybe just turn the music a bit louder? (that's what I am doing now)However,when I get stuck in the traffic,this problem can not be bypassed.
    I read many articles about this kind of problems these days,varieties of "could bes".
    As I can recall,this problem did not exist before,not till I put the AEM SR on I believe.Would it be any hose leak and when I resetted the ECU it got the info wrongly? That's the best I can imagine now.Others like fuel filter,I don't think it's that since I have no problem with higher rpms and higher speeds.I can accelerate well over 100km/h smoothly after that.
    *Wrong Spark Plug Gapping?!???*
    Last time I sent my car to my mechanics to change the spark plugs,they didn't gap them,told me they were OEM,V-Power NGK,no gapping required???? True or I got scewed by that?
    Or maybe since my vavle cover gasket is not good and leaking,2 of my spark plugs were dipped in oil?
    Or ignition timing?
    TPS? I don't even know where the TPS is
    These are the best I can think.Hope you guys give me some more ideas, I hope I can get it done on my day off tomorrow Hopefully................. ANY input is to be appreciated,Thanx a lot guys!!!
    Last edited by exexexex; 09-16-2004, 06:18 AM.

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

EGR port cleaning?
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

thanx man,any other idea guys? Thanx!

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

Comment

you have to clean your egr ports really well. its not hard just time consuming. this happen to mewith my 5 speed, the sympstoms are.........in first gear it will spudder and chug a bit, our egr ports become clogged with carbon build up wich clogs the ports, now theres a couple different ways to do this none of wich are "easy". you do NOT want to try and figure out wich port is clogged, you have 6 ports and all of them have carbon build up, but one or two of them may be the culprits, but instead of trying to pin point the problem port you wan to clean all 6 ports and the egr valve itself. heres the way i did mine, it may seem hard to you but really its not.this is how you keep the manifold on your car, you go to honda buy 6 new egr port pluggs (i forget part number) contact accordztech, but 6 new pluggs, buy a $10 slide hammer from autozone,get power drill, and buy a can of fuel injection/intake mani cleaner, and a air compressor is optional,theres a diy on this but i am bored anyway, now when u have all supplies, open your hood, locate the 6 pluggs there flush with the intake manifold, get your drill with a small bit(bit size depends on slide hammer bit),drill a small hole into the plugg you do not have to drill all the way though just enough so the slide hammer bit can get enough bite,if u drill all the way though thats fine just make sure you put grease on the drill bit to catchany loose metal shavings,but after u drill a hole in the plugg isert the slide hammer drill bit into plug than make sure slide hammer is good and tight with that screw and yank the hell out of the slide hammer untill the plugg comes out, hint** to make pulling the plugg easier take a punch almost the size of plugg and smack the plugg down a little bit and make sure it moves,this lossens the plugg and makes pulling it much easier.repeat these steps untill you have all 6 pluggs out.if u havent already make sure you have removed the EGR valve.now you have the EGR valve off and all the ports out of the mani. now get some sort of pick, a old metal coat hanger workes great,spray some cleaner into each port and into the EGR valve port,and pick away at the carbon untill you have the metal clean with no sign of carbon deposits,its not going to look like a polished aluminum wheel but you will def see the difference,keep picking/spraying/picking.sprayin etc, untill you have it cleaned to your satisfaction,when you are satisfied with your work take an air compressor or compressed air in a can and spray the air down the port nearest the drivers side working towards the passenger, this air will push any metal shavings,carbon anything that may be left over from cleaning,all that crap will blow out tge EGR valve opening,.when your done cleaning the ports and flowing air through them you can tap the new ports in lightly with a hammer(lightly), and reinstall the EGR valve. when u start the car up your gonna have more brownish/black smoke than you have ever seen rev the piss out of your car untill it breaths healthy again..lol.you will notice a difference in throttle response and gas mileage.

when i did this my first time i did it this way but also cleaned iac/throttle body etc.

NOW my 2nd time doing this i was in the middle of my a6 conversion soi had the intake mani off the car wich mad it SO SO SO much easier and cleaned it a lot better.i suggest taking the intake mani off the car nad doing it the same way i showed you but it will be easier and safer because it will be off the car,and you can power wash the mani and such. well good luck if ya need any help hit me up on aim vteciscoming.

i know it is probably hard to understand and very long but its not all that hard. its a bitch trying to explain how to do it though. i can do this in about 1 hour,and that uncludes taking off intake mani. if you do take of mani(wich u should) always clean mating surfaces and use new gasket.

good luck and ifya read all this you could of already had mani off car and been half done

good luck bro.
        Last edited by 91accord4door; 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM.

Comment

thank you so much for your reply bro,appreicated! I think I am gonna do that tomorrow.hopefully I can get off work early and to the store and buy such and such,I am not familiar with the engine and always dare not to do things to it,not even loose a screw ... But this time I think I have to do it cauz today the traffic was bad again,it's really annoying that the engine sounds like this and feel like this.I will do it tomorrow,if there is any problem.I will post it up,thanx again for all the info and good luck with your swap!

Comment

swaps been done for like 5 months lol. yeah if ya have any problems holla.

Comment

o,cool man!hehe.What I am not so sure if use the compressed air to blow the port? Will any carbon get into the egr? Doesn't hurt right?

Comment

o,I am wondering if there is any substitute for drill? I can borrow a drill from my friend but he told me the wire's very short. I don't have that long extension cord....... any other thing can do that job?

Comment

no no, you def need the drill its most important, maybe rent one from autozone? an extension cord is only $5.]

parts list.

- drill

-slide hammer (if not taking off mani) $10 auto zone.

-1 can of fuel ijector/intake mani cleaner $5

-6 egr ports pluggs $0.55-$1.00 a piece.

-hand tools,hammer,or mallot,punch,coat hanger,

-drill bits.

you def need a drill man, and make sure u remember to tap each port down a little but until it moves, and than pull it out otherwise you will spen all day on each port. good luck.

Comment

o,now I see,so if I remove the intake mani to clean it,will the drill be a must as well? You mentioned to put new gasket on? Are there any precaution that I have to remember when take off the intake mani? Thanx a lot man!

Comment

k i would def remove the intake mani, sounds harder but its the right way. theres 9 nuts securing the mani to the block, its heald on by studs (of course) and theres on bolt on the bottom of the mani that connects it to a support bracket, after uget those off,dissconnect the coolant lines,wires etc, u can remove manifold. make sure u wrap tape around every single line u pul (theres not much) and label all lines wires etc, if u havent already u can take off throttle body (optional) and spray the hell out of the hole manifold,. if u take off throttle body u just need a new throttle body gasket $1.45 at auto zone, and even if u dont take throttle body off u will def need to replace intake mani gasket, its like $8-$10, you have to remember we have aluminum heads, so you cannot pry,gouge,or dent the mating surfaces were the mani meets the head,so be carefule, and when u apply new gasket make sure u have taken a razor blade to remove all the old stuff. man if you lived near me i coulda done thisfor you in about an hour hour in a half. take your time, dont get pissed and use the right tools and u should have no problems. good luck.

Comment

o......I hope I can do either one of two ways tomorrow,do hope........... Thank you,appreciate your input 91accord4door.I live in western canada,lol.Long long way.

Comment

yeah lol, well if u decide to do it on the car, just make sure u take your time, and put any type of grease on the drill bit, this will catch falling shavings from entering your engine ,.good luck once again.! let me know how it turns out.

Comment

sure bro,thanx again.will do it either tomorrow or saturday.Gonna get the port covers tomorrow.I will post up the progress and turn out later on. to you bro,appreicated!

Comment

i cleaned the egr ports a year ago. but if i were you i would take it to the dealer. they were only going to charge me $100. it is a pain in the ass and i wish i would have just had them do it. it is time consuming and it is hard to drill them out. you will go thru some drill bits. it sucks because the aluminum manifold is much easier to drill thru than the plugs. i found this out the hard way. save yourself a headache and take it to a dealer who knows what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X