bent valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bent valve?

so i recently replaced my timing belt but after turning on my car, it sputtered for about 5 seconds and then died. I noticed that my timing belt was a little loose on one side compared to the other. i checked the marks and indeed they were a bit off. so i decided to realign the belt again.

well, when i went to go rotate the camshaft ccw, it gets really really tight and then loosens up....really really tight then loosens up. is this normal? could i have bent a valve by not having it timed correctly?

Originally posted by the pharmacist View Post
    so i recently replaced my timing belt but after turning on my car, it sputtered for about 5 seconds and then died. I noticed that my timing belt was a little loose on one side compared to the other. i checked the marks and indeed they were a bit off. so i decided to realign the belt again.

well, when i went to go rotate the camshaft ccw, it gets really really tight and then loosens up....really really tight then loosens up. is this normal? could i have bent a valve by not having it timed correctly?
    yea, the lobes are pressing against the valve spring. the only thing you can really tell if you have a bent valve is a compression test.

get your timing back to normal though.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by the pharmacist View Post

the camshaft gets really tight then loosens up because one out of the four pistons is always in "compression" stroke. this is normal.

Comment

well when you rotate the camshaft, its easiest to do it w/ the sparkplugs out of the cyl. head. And the easiest way to rotate it is by turning the crankshaft w/ an extension bar and 19mm socket. That way you won't unnecessarily loosen the nut on the cam gear.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          well when you rotate the camshaft, its easiest to do it w/ the sparkplugs out of the cyl. head. And the easiest way to rotate it is by turning the crankshaft w/ an extension bar and 19mm socket. That way you won't unnecessarily loosen the nut on the cam gear.
          yes, i did do it with the spark plugs out of the cyl head. i'll try realigning tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X