Timing Belt Question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Question ?

Well im heading out to Virgina Beach and I wanted to change my timing belt before I eft since I never did it before on this CB. She has 188k. Im sure the last owner did it atleast once. My questions is do I have to change the Camshaft belt tensioner, balance shaft tensioner , and water pump ?

$88 including shipping on ebay for the kit. Im sure I would have to change the water pump just to be on the safe side but im tring to save some cash for the hell of gas prices

Links to my rides :
    1992 Accord EX*
    1990 Accord EX
    1991 Accord SE (4th)
    1991 Accord SE (3rd)
    1991 Accord SE (2ND)
    1991 Accord SE

If the water pump ins't leaking then you don't have to replace it. But if you do all this and 10k miles down the road it starts leaking then you have to do it all over again to change the water pump.
    -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Originally posted by customchord View Post
      If the water pump ins't leaking then you don't have to replace it. But if you do all this and 10k miles down the road it starts leaking then you have to do it all over again to change the water pump.

it has no leaks, but I might just change it just in case But what about the tensioners? you think i need them

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Use Honda OEM parts or be sorry later, buying an Ebay kit is problems.

Change water pump and timing belt.

If you care to keep the balance shaft belt, change that too. Replace any front engine seals that are leaking while you're there. Rotate by hand to check the timing belt tensioner pulley and balance shaft belt tensioner pulley (if used), replace if necessary. I have found that the tensioners last about 200K miles, I'd replace them after that. I would get in the habit of doing this Tbelt job every 100K miles, since you're at 188K, I personally would wait until 200K. At this point I'd replace the tensioner pullies as well. You figure even if previous owner did your Tbelt job early at 90K miles, you're motor will be fine until 200K anyhow.

It just makes it easier to remember every 100K do it. These motors will last 300K easy with decent care, even longer with better care.
        Last edited by HondaFan81; 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
        X