piston ring end gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston ring end gap

hey guys im trying to find out what my piston ring end gap should be, does anyone know how i go about finding this out

thanks

ill keep searching and delet this thread if i find out

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
    1992 Accord EX Coupe
    My FS Thread
    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

it says in the manual.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

oh.....lol i think i found it .003X the bore

so mine will be .003 x 3.346, correct

ill go take a look at the manual

1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

which number do i go by the manual has it like this

f22a1 .008-
        f22a6 .008-
        h23a1 .010-
        h22a1 .010-

i just remeasured it i didnt have the ring sitting flat in the cylinder so i used an upside down piston tp push it down to make sure it was flat and now it was a sug fit with a .024 so if im supposed to read the bottom numbers then my gap is right on

1992 Accord EX Coupe
        My FS Thread

Comment

first of all, the rings have different end gaps. so you'll need to specify the ring and you are listing 4 different motors right there.

find the motor.
          find the correct ring.
          find the correct specification.

if they are new rings, the box should have a sheet for what the manufactirer wants them at.
          I <3 G60.

Comment

lol oh haha thats for the first ring for the second ring on the h22a1 it has

.0240-

and for the oil control it doesnt have anything listed, they are just left blank

edit: oh wait i just looked a little closer and it had a small 1 by it so i looked over and it says for the oil control

.0130-
            Last edited by almostJDM; 06-13-2008, 01:57 AM.

1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              first of all, the rings have different end gaps. so you'll need to specify the ring and you are listing 4 different motors right there.

find the motor.
              find the correct ring.
              find the correct specification.

if they are new rings, the box should have a sheet for what the manufactirer wants them at.
              ok also im not using any of these motors i have a dohc f20b so im gonna go by the h22 specs for refrence

1992 Accord EX Coupe
              My FS Thread

Comment

so .024 is good?
                I <3 G60.

Comment

yea i think it is but im not 100% sure if the f20b gap is the same as the h22 gap so i emailed the guy(company) i bought my oem dohc f20b pistons from to see if he can find out, but if its like the other thicknesses that are like the h22 then its correct

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                  My FS Thread

Comment

ok now i dunno if this is a good way to find out or not but i tested a used set of rings from one of my old pistons and heres what i got compaired to my new set, same cylinder the gap in the same direction adn the rings sitting 1.5" down in the cylinder

old
                    top ring .024
                    2nd ring .026
                    oil cont. .024

new
                    top ring .024
                    2nd ring .026
                    oil cont .024

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                    My FS Thread

Comment

so they're the same...
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

also i just got an email form the person and he baised on what he said they are already in spec but the spec he gave me are the same as the f22

top ring 0.20-0.35mm(.08 -.012in) svc limit: 0.60mm(.023in)
                        second ring 0.40-0.55mm(.015 -.021in) svc limit: 0.70mm(.027in)
                        oil ring 0.20-0.70mm(.08 - .027in) svc limit: 0.80mm(.031in)

i would think they would be more like the h22

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                        My FS Thread

Comment

like i said, it depends on the manufacturer...they even make endless gap rings.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            like i said, it depends on the manufacturer...they even make endless gap rings.
                            seeing as they are oem honda ones I think I'll go with that the manual says for the h22 rings.

thanks for the help

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                            My FS Thread

Comment

that was never specified in this thread until a bajillion posts later. i would have shut my mouth since the first post.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X