Power fluctuates constantly under partial throttle cruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power fluctuates constantly under partial throttle cruising

I've been having this problem since I first got the car.

Under acceleration it isn't there or isn't noticeable, HOWEVER when the car is ready to shift to the next gear and it sort of just hangs there in purgatory at the end of the gear, waiting a bit to pick the next gear you can feel a definate hesitation, like engine power is flickering. This is only under light throttle conditions. Under a heavy foot the gear changes are more confident and definate and there isn't any hestation because it changes the gears right away.

And then under light throttle cruising, like once you've gotten up to speed and you are cruising it's there again. Slightly different, but a hesitation, a fluttering, you can feel it, although it isn't very noticeable. Passengers never seem to notice it but I certainly do. And not only feeling it but you can see the tach flutter up and down.

Now adding to this, at the beginning of this year I took a trip to GA and sometime during this trip, the torque converter lockup got a little bitchy. It was hunting and searching, engaging and then disengaging, over and over for about 5 minutes. If I stepped on the gas it went away, but when I returned to cruising it came back. After about 5 minutes it seemed to chill out and return to normal.

So my thoughts are

3. Possibly my ignitor to explain tach fluttering and possibly the engine hesitation
    2. My torque converter has gone to shit
    1. My kick down cable is improperly adjusted.

During the time I've been hunting for a fix to this problem I have swapped out the ignitor with one from an accord that didn't have the problem, didn't help.

I adjusted the kickdown cable according to helms, didn't help.

I can't afford for it to be the TQ, so that's probably what it is, but it doesn't throw any codes or anything. What do you think?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

sounds like a tranny problem, when was the last time that the atf and filter were changed? also how are ur mounts? as far as the igniter, once it goes the car will give u that 17 CEL (i think thats what it is)

My Ride

Comment

Our cars don't have a serviceable tranny filter, and the tranny fluid was replaced about a year ago, but the problem has existed since before I changed the fluid

Mounts are excellent as the car doesn't have much vibration at all, even in Drive with the air con on.

Comment

ignitor is code 15 usually. AA if you suspect the TC you can have a shop test the Stall speed.

Comment

I'd say TPS/Kickdown
          wat?

Comment

My TC rarely locks up, going 55-75 its almost never there. Although once you hit 90 it locks every time.

Without lock-up im 3000rpm at 70
            With lock-up its about 2600 at 70
            Alot of wasted gas!
            Your man for wiring solutions!
            CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
            CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

back when i first got my car, i used to drive it and then whenever i let off the gas, the rpms would go up by like 100-200 and then settle down. This is just driving normally at 50mph or so and then seeing a red light for example and letting off the gas.

And when cruising it wouldn't shift down or "lock up" the converter so yeah, thats just what I experienced. I ended up having to get a complete transmission rebuild w/ a new torque converter and shift solenoids two years later at 140K miles. But that problem did bug me a lot though.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                back when i first got my car, i used to drive it and then whenever i let off the gas, the rpms would go up by like 100-200 and then settle down. This is just driving normally at 50mph or so and then seeing a red light for example and letting off the gas.

And when cruising it wouldn't shift down or "lock up" the converter so yeah, thats just what I experienced. I ended up having to get a complete transmission rebuild w/ a new torque converter and shift solenoids two years later at 140K miles. But that problem did bug me a lot though.
                I have that problem too but it doesn't really bug me, not as much as this stumble/flickering

I may try shortening the adjustment on the kickdown cable...

Comment

Im having this exact same problem.

The tach will jump from like 2500 to may 28 or 2900 just for second, thenback down for a few seconds, then back up. And it surges, like you said. I havent looked into it yet, but i have a feeling mine may be the TC as well.

Losi, how much did a rebuild and all that cost you?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                    I'd say TPS/Kickdown
                    x2

same problem I'm having....

I think my TPS is gone to shit considering it idles at 1500 rpm and turn the car off when it's at operating temperature, i have fluctuating power at partial throttle.

I havent done a voltage test, I'll probably end up spending $40 and get a new one.
                    14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair View Post
                      I have that problem too but it doesn't really bug me, not as much as this stumble/flickering

I may try shortening the adjustment on the kickdown cable...
                      I shortened my kickdown cable the other day, it engages sooner since it now thinks the throttle is slightly more open. This has covered up the problem I mentioned where you can feel bad stuttering when it hangs before the next gear change, reason being it doesn't hang anymore but changes sooner...however I think it may have helped more than that...but I also removed some ATF. I checked my helms and it states level should be checked with engine warm, but off.

I think I may have checked it running and on a slight incline last time. Anyways, too much ATF could create adverse conditions, and/such as additional drag.

So I removed fluid until I fell below the top mark. It is now more around 3/4 between top and bottom within the checks and I'm gonna leave it there. I think it may have helped. Now the car feels like there's less stuttering but it is still there. I think it is a malfunctioning Torque Converter though I haven't ruled out other things like a clogged throttle valve b..
                      Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post

The tach will jump from like 2500 to may 28 or 2900 just for second, thenback down for a few seconds, then back up. And it surges, like you said. I havent looked into it yet, but i have a feeling mine may be the TC as well.

When the TC is searching is jumps by about 1-300 rpm but this stuttering only fluctuates by about 10-30 rpm, it feels a lot like sudden gusts of wind pushing against the car, imagine gusts about 1/4-1/2 of a second apart and thats pretty much what it feels like

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                      x2

same problem I'm having....

I think my TPS is gone to shit considering it idles at 1500 rpm and turn the car off when it's at operating temperature, i have fluctuating power at partial throttle.

I havent done a voltage test, I'll probably end up spending $40 and get a new one.
                      the car idles fantastically, even in gear, and I set the tps when I swapped to an h23 TB, but the old one was fine too

the car also accelerates completely fine, no stuttering is felt. It's only when you want to cruise at one speed, and it's only really noticeable around 35-70 mph, any slower and you likely aren't in top gear, any faster and the engine is revving too much

which reminds me I need to see if it's there in lower gears

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post

well I had a shop do it, b/c I was inexperienced and didn't have the tools at all to do anything like that. They charged 1700 and change for a new TC, trans rebuild and shift solenoids. And I've got 173K on it now w/ no problems w/ the RPMs fluctuating.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I may have solved my problem, rcy posted some info on honda newsletter/mechanic service bulletin type stuff and it suggest lengthening the kickdown cable. I have checked it by the helms' standards and recently I shortened my cable, believing this would alleve it. In fact I need to extend it further. I will make several test drives and gather input over the next few days or so to see if it gets rid of my problem. I really think it will.

So awesome

Comment

any of you guys checked the egr valve?? it may be stuck causing your car to hesitate. try driving with the egr valve connector disconnected.
                            The beginning of a new era............................
                            165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                            184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

I know around 40-45MPH my trans sometimes locks up and unlock then locks and unlocks going up hills.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X