Cannot shift into reverse and 3rd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot shift into reverse and 3rd.

After having my JDM H22A for about 4-5 months now, it is finally having its downfall. Well I have been experiencing some tech. problems in regards to the gearing.

For one, everything shifts smoothly except for reverse. I will get into details with this in a second. All forward gears work well under normal driving conditions. However going from 2nd to 3rd on a 6.5-7 grand revolution, it seems to not go into gear. It doesn't grind, but more like it wont go in at all. When the RPM's decrease it ends up going in.

At first I was thinking that it was my clutch that needed to be bled. I did that still the same thing. I think I have a leak from the tranny somewhere so I drained and refilled my tranny fluid with Honda fluid. Still the same thing was happening.

Reverse started to become hard to get OUT OF. I could get into REVERSE fine but when it came to getting out, I almost felt that I had to use extreme force or even hit the shit out. Occasionally, it would run like normal and go in and out no problem. Finally today, it took me 10 mins to get out of the parking lot. OMG it was horrible. Also, when I shift left to right in NEUTRAL from REVERSE, it feels stiff, almost like it has resistance until I hit the clutch.

Weird huh?

Do you techinal whiz's think it could be the shifter cables? I tried shifting it from the tranny itself in the engine bay and it feels somewhat the same. I do have an extra set of cables from my swap. Kurobei said it could be the cables, but what would make it go bad like that? I do not dog my car that bad.

My friend Tony said it could be my syncros. I feel it may be that too since this is one of the symptoms of it. I dont want to be the 3rd within this month to fall out of the Norcal region but if I'm looking into buying a new tranny, I don't know if it will be worth it to me. H2B is in mind but I don't need to run 13's. It would be nice but I want to see if I can save this tranny instead.

Help me CB7'ers.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

From what you are saying, it sounds like the reverse fork might have gotten bent, along with a few other things. i have heard of this happening before on h series trannies before.

A lot of h tranny's develop and reverse and 5th gear grind over time. this might be starting for you, but i am unable to tell for sure.

On your 2-3 gear shift, its seems like you syncro is on its way out.

Make sure the cables are not binding before you go in too deep.
    Members Ride

Comment

could be:

clutch
      cables
      fork
      syncros
      clutch master cyliner
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

try switching your tranny fluids. I'm using an accord tranny with my h22 and it has a slight grind up shifting into 3rd but will down shift fine into third. Some times its hard to get into 1st gear from the start.

My honda gurru budy asked me to switch my fluids to a thicker fluid. Penziol synchro mesh fluids for the tranny. Its the same thing as GM syncro mesh and he states it makes the tranny feel newer. I will be trying this soon.

Comment

well try your stock shifter also i hear some short shifters can actually beat the syncros

dont know if thats true but its something to try

sounds to me like its new tranny time
          mne was grinding a long time ago when it was fully warm but it was fixed with the switch to mtf

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
            well try your stock shifter also i hear some short shifters can actually beat the syncros

dont know if thats true but its something to try

sounds to me like its new tranny time
            mne was grinding a long time ago when it was fully warm but it was fixed with the switch to mtf
            It doesnt grind though. Just doesnt seem to go in. In the meantime ima drive it like this. I'm looking into an H2B swap, for shits and giggles. If I do this I'll have to hold off on the Lexo.

93 'til infinity

Comment

yeh man sounds like there is definately internal tranny damage...if it was clutch or master cylinders or ne thing like that it would most likely affect all gears not just 3rd and reverse...probably a bent reverse fork, and mayb a bad hub or synchro in in the trans.....u will prolly either need to get a new trans or at least take the one u have apart, if u have access to a press it really isnt that hard to rebuild a honda trans....good luck
              Lost Motion Inc. Repair and Performance Automotive

Comment

i had the same exact prob with my jdm swap. hmotors warrenteed the tranny.

theres a pin for the 3,5, rev sleeve set and it gets bent.

everyone on here told me it was my clutch master cylinder or my slave cylinder........no. it was the sleeve set.

call Gear Speed Inc and speak with Chris i think his name is.

Comment

heres my post from janurary. go too the link in the last post.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=89884

Comment

ant check tigerjapanese.com they have trans for cheap

i have been hearing this stuff from hmotors recently. funny how all the people i know have gotten from tiger and havent had a single issue and saved 4-500 bones

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtechno
                      i had the same exact prob with my jdm swap. hmotors warrenteed the tranny.

theres a pin for the 3,5, rev sleeve set and it gets bent.

everyone on here told me it was my clutch master cylinder or my slave cylinder........no. it was the sleeve set.

call Gear Speed Inc and speak with Chris i think his name is.
                      That's so funny cuz now that I think of it, 5th does act up every now and then.

You sir may just have saved my life (the most).
                      Everyone else here is doing their part. Let's get this coupe rolling shall we?

93 'til infinity

Comment

After research, it looks like the H2B is a no-go for me. Way more work than I expected. Time to pull out the tranny.

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired

You sir may just have saved my life (the most).
                          im chopped liver aye?

lolz

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                            im chopped liver aye?

lolz
                            No, you just have a serious sleeping disorder
                            He experienced the same symptoms as mine. I figure his problema is the same. God I hope so.

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired
                              No, you just have a serious sleeping disorder
                              i know right?

with cb7tuner i can never sleep lmao

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X