Blue smoke on start up only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by accordztech
    maybe it was ur eyyes cause seafoam will burn white...and so will anything else that u put in there...u do have to drive to get all that out of the system.

i know seafoam didnt cause this problem..im sure of that
    Right, It was already smoking at start-up before I used seafoam, thats why I got it. I dont know it was a few months ago when I did it, I swear the smoke had a blue tinge to it, nothing compared to the purpleish blue I'm getting at start-up.
    Last edited by Kdub; 09-01-2004, 08:47 PM.

Comment

a little smoke only upon startup huh. Valve guide seals, period. If you are wanting to fix this tho, might as well go thru the whole motor and do everything, i.e. rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.
      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Man...
        I get so sick of hearing about startup smoke...

Anyone ever hear of condensation?
        Sometimes it is normal if it was cool during the night or morning... it not valve seals or rings... it's moisture...

If it is white smoke, more like steam and evaporates into the air shortly after entering it then it is moisture...

if it sort of lingers in the air then it is smoke and could be a legit problem...

but don't get so worried... burning the moisture is a normal thing...
        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
          a little smoke only upon startup huh. Valve guide seals, period. If you are wanting to fix this tho, might as well go thru the whole motor and do everything, i.e. rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.
          That's what I wanted to hear and thats not what I wanted to hear. I take it it's an expensive fix? Would'nt it just be head work? Hard to diy?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub
            That's what I wanted to hear and thats not what I wanted to hear. I take it it's an expensive fix? Would'nt it just be head work? Hard to diy?
            Valve seal replacement requires pulling the rocker arms and cams... then the valve springs... and some compressed air to hold up the valves... If you'd feel confident doing that then it's easy to DIY...

make sure that is your problem first though... I saw alot of bad advice & diagnosis in this thread...
            RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ

if it sort of lingers in the air then it is smoke and could be a legit problem...
              Yeah it lingers but not for more than 10-15seconds, there is usually a breeze though.

Comment

Valve seal replacement requires pulling the rocker arms and cams... then the valve springs... and some compressed air to hold up the valves... If you'd feel confident doing that then it's easy to DIY...

make sure that is your problem first though... I saw alot of bad advice & diagnosis in this thread...
                I work at a Marina and our shop has a bunch tools, plus a few techs for back-up. I want to be sure thats what it is though, like you said. thanks for the advice bro.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                  a little smoke only upon startup huh. Valve guide seals, period.
                  Hey thanks for the advice Mrhonda, There's nothing else you think it could be? I forgot to mention this, Today when I left work it did not smoke one bit on start-up, and it was sitting there since lunch(5hrs.), So I guess its random, it usually does it though 9/10.

Comment

yeah, valve guide seals are pretty common. The only reason I say go thru the whole motor is because it is quite a process to replace valve guide seals, so if u are gonna put that kinda time and money into it, then might as well do it right and go all the way, otherwise, just leave it alone.
                    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Well I know you work at a shop, and you may have different prices than others. What do you think would be the going rate on just the valve seals without going all through the engine.

Comment

Man...
                        I get so sick of hearing about startup smoke...

Anyone ever hear of condensation?
                        Sometimes it is normal if it was cool during the night or morning... it not valve seals or rings... it's moisture...

If it is white smoke, more like steam and evaporates into the air shortly after entering it then it is moisture...

but don't get so worried... burning the moisture is a normal thing...

What do you take us for??? Idiots!
                        Most of us have been around cars long enough to know if it's f---in moisture. Thanks for your useless opinion though.
                        Anywho back to the topic of this thread......just getting the valve seals done isn't that big of a deal compared to rebuilding the whole engine. I mean your talking the difference of between hundreds and thousands. If you KNOW that its the seals, just get the seals done. Then you can start saving for an h22 instead of rebuilding an f22. JMO!
                        I was told about $350 CAD for valve seals.

CB3 formerly hondaracer33

Comment

Originally posted by hondaracer33
                          Thanks for your useless opinion though.
                          Your are welcome... thanks for yours...

Idjeet...
                          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Most of us have been around cars long enough to know if it's f---in moisture. Thanks for your useless opinion though.
                            Anywho back to the topic of this thread......just getting the valve seals done isn't that big of a deal compared to rebuilding the whole engine. I mean your talking the difference of between hundreds and thousands. If you KNOW that its the seals, just get the seals done. Then you can start saving for an h22 instead of rebuilding an f22. JMO!
                            I was told about $350 CAD for valve seals.
                            Woh easy killa . Other peeps that read this thread might not know the difference. I agree with the rest though.

Comment

and...

the simple fact is...

I've seen quite a few Accord guys post about how their car is smoking...what should they do? Woe is me...what could it be?

and people usually throw out all this crap they've read and say either piston rings, valve seals, or valve guides...you might as well resleeve dood, you're gonna spenda shitload of money...blah blah blah...

and then when the original poster gives more information it turns out it smokes in the morning...when it's cold...after it's been sitting all night...but still no one usually catches on that it's condensation...even after that...

I've seen it many times...

but I guess my opinion is useless... what would I know... I've actually replaced valve seals and didn't pay someone to do it...
                              Last edited by ZigenBallZ; 09-08-2004, 08:59 PM.
                              RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

[I've actually replaced valve seals and didn't pay someone to do it... [/B]
                                Hey, question for you. What were the "symptoms" your car had that made you replace your valve seals? Mine smokes blue 9/10 on start-up. Does not matter how hot or cold it is out, it did this in the winter too, condensation would be frozen on the first few seconds of start-up, true? This condensation, would it be in the gas, the intake, in the combustion chamber or in the exhaust system? just curious
                                Last edited by Kdub; 09-08-2004, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X