Blue smoke on start up only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue smoke on start up only

Hey maybe you guys know what this is. When I start my cb I get a puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust. It smokes for like 1sec. after I start it. It's a concentrated puff of smoke and very blue in color. Is it possible I'm leaking oil into one of my cylinders while the car is off? The reason I think it's somthing like that is because if I start it after sitting(6-8 hrs.)I get a big blue smoke cloud, if I start it 10min. after shutting it off no smoke at all. thanks for your help.

yep. i used to have white smoke on start up. this was because of the worn valve seals. . urs might be different.

i don't know what blue smoke it is. it might be colant and u might have a problem with the head gasket.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
      yep. i used to have white smoke on start up. this was because of the worn valve seals. . urs might be different.

i don't know what blue smoke it is. it might be colant and u might have a problem with the head gasket.

blue smoke is oil
      white=coolant
      black=rich fuel mixture
      kyle turner
      [img]june21004[img]

Comment

blue smoke is coolant
        white smoke is oil going past the rings
        black smoke is carbon build up.

check ur oil...
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

if blue is colant then u got head gasket problems. after the car starts it get heated. this might stop the leak that u might have.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Re: Blue smoke on start up only

Originally posted by Kdub
            Hey maybe you guys know what this is. When I start my cb I get a puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust. It smokes for like 1sec. after I start it. It's a concentrated puff of smoke and very blue in color.
            I had this problem with an old 82 civic with over 180K miles. It started with a puff of blue at start and got worse. It smoked for 1 sec, 2, then 1 minute at start up on a cold engine. It still ran fine. And only smoked at cold startup. Mine needed a top-end rebuild.
            TBILL
            92 Accord EX Coupe
            CB7, 5 spd, Seattle Silver

91 Accord LX - no mods
            CB9, Auto, Cobolt Blue Cooking with Clinton

Comment

Well I know I'm leaking oil into the sparkplug tubes(lower seals), but oil can't drip past the sparkplugs right? I thought oil=blue and coolant=white. I'm not losing any coolant, I've toped it off a couple times in the past year and it was'nt that low, My radiator has a small leak in it, I get a few drips when I park in my garage but thats it, and I think thats whats causing me to lose coolant. When its cold maybe a small amount of coolant is leaking past the head gasket and causing it to smoke at start-up?? I burn a little oil (194,000 miles on A6), but the oil looks good on the dip stick and I'm due pretty soon for a change. So I don't know, any other help would be appreciated,thanx.

Comment

I'm thinking it would be the seals too. I have a similar problem whenever it sits for a while, and that is what the seals do. Mine also does it a little bit at WOT. I'm pretty sure it's from the idiots who adjusted my valves ... I think they messed something up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
                  I'm thinking it would be the seals too. I have a similar problem whenever it sits for a while, and that is what the seals do. Mine also does it a little bit at WOT. I'm pretty sure it's from the idiots who adjusted my valves ... I think they messed something up.
                  Me too! I hate being stinky!

CB3 formerly hondaracer33

Comment

Mine dosent smoke wide open, but I just noticed if I let it sit and idle for a minute, and then rev it up to about 4gran there is a couple of trails of smoke, but its not enough to tell what color it is. After a couple of seconds of high RPM's it doesnt smoke anymore. I need to figure this out, it's kind of embarassing when I start my car a cloud of blue smoke comes rolling out.

Comment

Either way it would be your valve seals.

Comment

I'll tell you guys about somthing I did a few months ago that I thought might fix this problem. I sucked seafoam through my pcv valve(about a 1/4 can). I followed the directions and turned off the car for a while. Started it back up and I swear to god it smoked solid blue smoke for over an hour. I finally got tired of waiting for it to stop smoking and decided to take it for a drive, I had a two mile long smoke cloud behind me and it finally stopped. Well, It seemed to give me better throttle responce, but could just be my imagination. Did not fix the start up smoking problem though. Maybe I should do it a few more times, but the way it sounds its got nothing to do with the problem.

Comment

Either way it would be your valve seals.
                          Yeah, that makes sense, So you think oil is leaking past the valve seal(s) and into the combustion chamber(s) while the car is off?

Comment

maybe it was ur eyyes cause seafoam will burn white...and so will anything else that u put in there...u do have to drive to get all that out of the system.

i know seafoam didnt cause this problem..im sure of that
                            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub
                              Yeah, that makes sense, So you think oil is leaking past the valve seal(s) and into the combustion chamber(s) while the car is off?
                              Seems that way. I've been letting my car sit for about a week now since I'm at school so I'll post back after this weekend when I drive it and see if mine blows out a lot of smoke from sitting. Another thing I noticed that is a good way to tell is try putting in a little bit more oil. I did that and started it up a minute later and it blew out a lot of smoke so I knew it was leaking from the valvetrain somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X