**Transmission Problem**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Transmission Problem**

on friday on the way back from my friends i heard a jerk then my car acted funny and then out of no where the "S" light came on and would not turn off even if the button was not on it was like it lost tranny fluid and that was the case.

i had completely ran out of fluid somehow i and i dont know what the hell is going on?
    i recently put in more tranny fluid but i am stumped of where all the tranny fluid is going maybe a leak somewhere? But i see no fluids on the ground.

Problem:

The loss of acceleration from a dead stop.it is like im going 50 mph in 1st gear it just wont shift at all.(even a crappy truck beside me beat me off the line to acceleration WTF?)

Fix?
    i added more tranny fluid into it and took off battery cables to reset the comp so the "S" light would turn off. (STILL NOT WORKING) the "S" light has now come back on and im pissed.

any help please??

COLBALT CB7 2NER
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

im guessing its a AUTO so it might be the TCM...

Comment

yea it is an auto and what about the TCM what do i do with it?
      please help because im running out of options and i need the car to go to work so i will hafta bring it to the local Honda Dealer for a $80 diagnosis which is bullshit. then additional charges to fix it. (they will rip me a new ass by charging my ass off)

COLBALT CB7 2NER
      <

Comment

get the code from the tcm and we can go from there.
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

um not to be a complete dunce but how do u do that?

does flashing of some sort have to do anything?

COLBALT CB7 2NER
          <

Comment

As many of you are aware, early 90's Accords regularly have transmission shifting problems (eg. S light flashing or on steady, D4 light flashing, trans takes off in 2nd gear). The most common cause of this is a burnt out TCM.
            I have been rebuilding these computers for quite some time now and have some in stock ready for shipping, or I can rebuild yours.
            For pricing, or more information, please email me at: cmrvi1@yahoo.com

Below is some info on how to check for codes, TCM location, and most IMPORTANTLY, how to check your TCM.

Behind the right hand corner of the dash on the passenger's side (just below the glove compartment, or sometimes stuffed behind the kick panel) you will find 2 connectors taped to the wire harness with blue tape ( unless someone previously removed the tape). One is a three wire connector (data link connector) the other is a two wire connector. By jumping the two wires on this connector, you check for engine and transmission codes.
            With the ignition switch off, connect the two wires together. Have a pen and paper handy. Turn the ignition switch on. The S light (or D4 light if your car doesn't have the S light) should start to flash a code. Might be a combination of long and short flashes. A long flash stands for 10, and short flashes are 1. For example, if the light blinks: long-short-short-short, then that is a code 13. When you find out what code it is, post it and I can tell you what is going on. BTW, 90-93 Accords have a bad habit of burning out the trans computers. So sometimes you won't get a code. The light will just stay on steady when you jump the connector.
            If the light doesn't blink when you jump the connector, then your TCM (transmission control module) might be bad.
            To verify this, remove the TCM ( it's located under the rug on the passenger side) bolted to the firewall. You will find two modules bolted to one bracket. The TCM is the smaller of the two, on the right.
            To remove it, you'll need to remove the 4 bolts securing the bracket. Then, unplug both computer modules, and gently remove the bracket.
            Next, unbolt the TCM from the bracket.
            Remove the four screws that hold on the cover.
            Look at the board carefully. If it is bad, you will find a burnt out resistor and a leaking capacitor. Again, LOOK CAREFULLY. Yours might not be as bad as the one in the picture, and only one of the resistors will overheat and turn slightly brown. If this is the case, I can rebuild it for you, or sell you a rebuilt one.
            Email at cmrvi1@yahoo.com for more details.

This is the TCM

With the connector pointing down, the bad spot will be in the lower right corner

This is what the damaged part looks like up close

Comment

Originally posted by tommi
              um not to be a complete dunce but how do u do that?

does flashing of some sort have to do anything?

COLBALT CB7 2NER
              there is a thread here that shows hot to do it. search about it.

ok here we go.

go to the passager side of the car. on the bottom/right side there is a cover. take that cover off and u gonna see a bunch of wires. look aroun there and u will find a two way connector. conect both things of the conector with some metalic thing.. then go and put the keys into egnition BUT DONT START THE CAR. after u do that read how many times the "S" light blinks.
              1 long blink is 10
              1 short blink is 1
              so if u have 2 long blinks and 3 short blinks u got a code 23.

the same way u can check for the engine code. but u read the CHECK ENGINE light.

there might be more than one code stored so make sure that u read the same code twice before u start.

after u fix it and u wanna clear the code off the computer just take off the back up fuse of the radio or u can disconect the negative cable of the battery for 1 min or so. this will clear the tcm or the ecm of any codes. if the code persist then u didn't fix it.

good luck

oh by the way auto zone can check the codes for free for u.

Comment

my question right now is where exactly is the TCM at ?
                and i have a blue clip hanging in the middle of no where not connceted to anything anyone know what it is?
                i need pictures of where the TCM is...
                plz help asap. o and is it anywhere close to the ecu???
                becuz i can see the ecu clearly cuz it is the first thing i see.

COLBALT CB7 2NER
                <

Comment

alb u gotta link on that im not coming up with anything on the search.

COLBALT CB7 2NER
                  <

Comment

anyone know that these TCM go for at salvages?

COLBALT CB7 2NER
                    <

Comment

What is the value of the capasitors in that area? I had a problem with mines and removed it and it still drove...just lack acceleration/power. I'm ready to replace it but I lost the sheet that had the value of the capaicitor. I think the one i need is C33....or something like that.

Holla back,

Comment

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpk...owTo_Codes.htm

Comment

Can you please tell me what's the values of the 3 capacitors above the burnt resistors, please?

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                            there is a thread here that shows hot to do it. search about it.

oh by the way auto zone can check the codes for free for u. ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpk...owTo_Codes.htm
                            What? Didn't you bother reading Post #6 directly before your post. How ignorant are you?

Comment

I don't think he's ignorant. I think he has good pictures too.
                              It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Working...
                              X