No announcement yet.

Whining noise from the belts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like everyone said tighten the belts. But what brand belts are they? If they are not honda then they will tend to make noise... Honda belts hardly ever make the slightest noise. By the way be carefull using wd-40 on belts go the extra 3 dollars and get belt dressing.
    My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

I'm worried about the accord. There is still a rpm dependent whine coming from the engine area, and there is a vibration/pulse also.

Feel free to hit me up on aim Zipcreature or mail Muggenaccord@yahoo.com

Questions:
      1. On the back of the engine block there is a hole. Its about 1/4in. and it is located to the right of the bolt you remove when doing a timing belt job, the bolt hole you put a screw driver in to keep the gears from moving (or whatever). There is a slight drip of a greenish-watery fluid. Radiator fluid I am supposing. Now to me doesnt that mean that I have a blown headgasket? If it is blown, what are the simptoms?

2. Should I be able to move the timing belt with my hand? What I mean is I can depress it about 1/4in (guessing the measurment) it is not ROCK tight. Would that mean that I do have a problem with the belt tensioner?

- Zipcreature
      Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

for me what happened was that my crank pulley failed (harmonic dampener separated). when it did, i guess the bearing inside the alternator got f-ed and now it makes a whirring noise as i rev. sounds almost like a supercharger. never got around to fixing it .

a bad bearing somewhere could be your problem.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

To TIMMY0TOOL
          (all others pls comment if you've got any idea about a whirring sound from the engine)

I'm not sure I really understand what your meaning when you said the "crank pulley failed" what failed? Did it skip the timing teeth, or snap in half, collapse?

So your alternator still whirres? But a new alt. should fix THAT whirring problem?

What steps did you need to take, in order to get the harmonic dampener repaired/replaced? Cost?

Thanks agian!

- Zipcreature
          Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

DirtySouthHonda Here

Also I didn't tell u guys that the mechanic charged me 375!?

Comment

Mine makes a very high pitched whining mostly when the car is cold & its winter. So we'll see what happens later this year. Since its happening when cold mostly I was thinking its one of the alternator bearings.

Honda TSB 93-034 indicates if this is happening when the coolant is at normal operating temperature, that it could be normal friction between the water pump shaft and its seal.
              '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
              EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

yea my 91 lx whines too, and a friend of mine said it sounded like a supercharger... i replaced the alt and PS pumps and still makes noise... i beat the crap out of it since and hasnt died so i dont think you'll have to worry about it leaving you stranded from the noise... would be nice to find whats causing the noise tho.
                Seattle Silver crew #5
                Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

The Whining maybe being caused by our tensioners - if its spring popped off then it wouldnt be keeping tension anymore. I can move my timing belt with my fingers - about 1/2in. And it almost looks like it wobbles.
                  I'm reading more about it in the Helms...so everyone lets keep researching and kick this things ass! Again i'm avalible on aim @ Zipcreature and also muggenaccord@yahoo.com!!

- Zipcreature
                  Awesome!

Comment

CAUSE OF SC SOUND DISCOVERED!

It was the balance-shaft belt below the timing belt. The spring on the Balance-shaft belt tensioner had popped off and the belt was loose allowing the gears to strip the inside of the belt of all its teeth.

Replacement belts at $28 and spring is $3.

- Zipcreature
                    Awesome!

Comment

I tightened my belts and my car squeals like a stuck pig.

I have the U/R pulley set installed and it started making the noise the second I put the crank pulley on.

If anyone has any further advice, please share.

Comment

i think i have located my mine as well, from PS pump. doesnt really bother me though.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X