Major blow-by....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major blow-by....??

I've recently noticed that when I remove the oil-fill cap (215,000 miles) while the engine is running, I get a strong stream of air in my face, almost enough to take my breath away! Anyone else notice on their F22? I checked my parts-car engine with 111,000 miles on it and it does the same thing. I assume this pressure comes from blow-by but seems like a little much to be normal......then my last few oil analysis have come back with great reports
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

I think thats somewhat normal as long as it isnt blowing oil out at you...

Comment

Is it using more oil? Does the exhaust smell like oil?
      1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

just curious, why would you even take the oil cap off while the motor is running anyways?
        90 EX DUMPED!!!

Comment

that's normal operation... that's actually where your PCV system comes in hand and makes sure all that blow-by air is put right back into the intake mani. through pcv valve

example through consequences, any engine w/o ANY kind of PCV system(or similar) would b blowing OUT seals all day long

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
          My Ride thread
          Flickr
          Originally posted by d112crzy
          And it can only get better. That's the best part.
          All I gotta really say is:
          People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

add an oil catch can if you're really worried about it. There's a DIY for that on here somewhere.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by ChillPhatCat
              Is it using more oil? Does the exhaust smell like oil?
              Nah, not using any oil between the 3000 mile changes.
              My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                add an oil catch can if you're really worried about it. There's a DIY for that on here somewhere.
                I have one! Check out my MR for pics.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by prNonVtec4u
                  that's normal operation... that's actually where your PCV system comes in hand and makes sure all that blow-by air is put right back into the intake mani. through pcv valve

example through consequences, any engine w/o ANY kind of PCV system(or similar) would b blowing OUT seals all day long
                  Yeah I understand all that just hard to see how the PCV system can handle that much volume.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RacingEmotions
                    just curious, why would you even take the oil cap off while the motor is running anyways?
                    curiosity, to watch the cam, check for blow-by, get high on oil vapor!!
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Air and or oil being thrown out of the oil cap hole while the engine is running is normal because it is an ohc engine.
                      Last edited by 90goldcoupe; 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                        curiosity, to watch the cam, check for blow-by, get high on oil vapor!!
                        Next time try to add oil with the engine running.

Comment

Originally posted by 90goldcoupe
                          Next time try to add oil with the engine running.
                          I imagine it would end up something like my attempts at filling my auto trans fluid in 20 mph winds!
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

yeah if blocked the pcv holes you'd blow seals...the pcv has a one way check valve in it...it lets air flow from valve cover to intake (lifts a metal ball)...but once air tries to flow from intake to the valve cover the ball drops and stop air.

Wonder how much pressure the pcv valve could take...I could guess how much the hose could take...but the valve itself...hmm
                            ____

Comment

I wonder if the reason why it's pretty common for the F22 to leak through the rear main and valve cover is because the PCV system can't evacuate the gasses quickly enough causing a small positive crankcase pressure.......anyone want to install a pressure gauge in their oil cap? I just might try it with my extra one....

Oh and my PCV valve is working properly in case anyone asks.
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X