Radiator Fan is possessed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator Fan is possessed?

Before I start, I realise there are other forms with simiar problems, but none seem to be exactly the same problem I'm having.

So in the past two weeks my radiator fan (on the passenger side) has been starting by itself and not starting. The weird part is, it will start randomly. What I mean is, I will park in the garage and a few hours later the fan seems to start up for no reason.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with heat (I'm in Canada and it's March..so...).

The other problem is that it doesn't stop after it's started! I can turn the engine on and off, but the fan will keep going.

The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. This has already drained my battery completely twice.

Anyone have ANY idea what the problem might be? Maybe there's some sort of short somewhere?

maybe the fan timer switch? i don't really thinkg it's a button you press but more like a relay like thing.

Comment

i think fan switch, coolant temp sensor..the one on the top coolant hose...wiggle it..mine turns on when it wants...if i wiggle that....so i disconencted it.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

There's a "switch" or plug on the left-side front of the headers, coming off the engine. As soon as you pop the hood, look at the headers coming off the engine, and there should be a plug to the left side of the headers.

-or you could trace the plug from the fan-

But i had this problem awhile back too. My fan would come on and random times and it seemed like everytime i was out near my car, the fan was on. I dont thin ki have pics anymore, but i posted them up, of the motor on the fan, basically getting so hot it melted the fan blades, and the frame of the fan shroud. Luckily for me, it didnt get to the rad or any wiring!

Replace both. The plug coming from the fan and the socket on the engine.

Shouldnt really be too expensive, but that should clear it up. If not, i dont have a clue as to what else it could be..

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
          There's a "switch" or plug on the left-side front of the headers, coming off the engine. As soon as you pop the hood, look at the headers coming off the engine, and there should be a plug to the left side of the headers.

-or you could trace the plug from the fan-

But i had this problem awhile back too. My fan would come on and random times and it seemed like everytime i was out near my car, the fan was on. I dont thin ki have pics anymore, but i posted them up, of the motor on the fan, basically getting so hot it melted the fan blades, and the frame of the fan shroud. Luckily for me, it didnt get to the rad or any wiring!

Replace both. The plug coming from the fan and the socket on the engine.

Shouldnt really be too expensive, but that should clear it up. If not, i dont have a clue as to what else it could be..
          Do you mean the green one? The same one that if you bridge the connection it turns the radiator fan on? Cause while the fan was running I disconnected it and nothing happend, it just kept running :S.

Comment

My bad...i didnt mean the headers, i meant the rad hose. Follow it backwards, from the radiator to the engine. Just before it gets to the engine, kinda under the dizzy, on the left side of the hose/coupling, is a plug. In this pic it looks white, but yeah, its kind of a light green color..Ive highlighted it in the red circle.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
              My bad...i didnt mean the headers, i meant the rad hose. Follow it backwards, from the radiator to the engine. Just before it gets to the engine, kinda under the dizzy, on the left side of the hose/coupling, is a plug. In this pic it looks white, but yeah, its kind of a light green color..Ive highlighted it in the red circle.

Yeah, that's the one. I disconnected it expecting for the fan to stop spinning, but it just kept going.. Should it turn off right away or after a few minutes?
              Last edited by handovdoom; 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Check the cooling fan relay. I've had a few go bad on late 80's preludes and the same thing happens. Switch the 2 cooling fan relay when the 1 is running. The other one should start spining if it's the relay. If it's not the relay the same fan should continue spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                  Check the cooling fan relay. I've had a few go bad on late 80's preludes and the same thing happens. Switch the 2 cooling fan relay when the 1 is running. The other one should start spining if it's the relay. If it's not the relay the same fan should continue spinning.
                  Ok, I'll give it a shot the next time it acts up. And thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Comment

that connector there is the coolant temp sw. the thermoswitch is the one on the t stat housing. you are running in cirlces. my suggestion is that you should look into the timer then the thermoswitch. I've never seen a thermoswitch cause the fans to run that long. usually when that happens, it's the timer. the thermoswitch will tell the fans to come on when the ecu says that it's time.
                    The beginning of a new era............................
                    165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                    184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

I know when I unplugged the Tstat houseing (Next to EGR) plug my fans wouldn't run until I plugged it back in...I almost ruined my engine
                      Your man for wiring solutions!
                      CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                      CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

I got it fixed at the Honda dealership. They said what I thought: it's either the sensor or the fan controller. I got them to replace the sensor first (cause it's cheaper) and it didn't appear to fix it. So they put the old sensor back in and replaced the fan controller and it's been working since!

So I guess the problem was the fan controller. Costed me about $300 to fix it.

Comment

i had this problem last week. i needed a new cooling fan relay, after i bought the $60 relay i havnt had anymore problems

Comment

Working...
                          X