new thread: tranny's and ECU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new thread: tranny's and ECU's

Ok...narrowed the field down to USDM f22b1(soch vtec) or h23a1(dohc non-vtec)

Im pretty sure my current AT mpxa tranny will mate fine to both of these engines, if not, please correct me.

Its the ECU's that has me stumped.

I wanna find out how much chipping/tuning, if any, i have to do. Or if can i run my current ECU? If so, for how long?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Why is the b1 a possbility?
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

Because i found one online with 25-35k for $450.

That and its just something different. I mean, come on, its got VTEC

No, i know VTEC doesnt do much with 145hp, but eh..its a step in the right direction.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Id really like the H23, but i cant find any answers on that knock sensor issue. I dont know if its a major one, a slight one, or what? That and i figure the b1 will mate up to my tranny better and may even be able to run on my current ECU.

Comment

id spend the money towards a h23 instead...buy a p06 and have it chipped to eliminate the knock sensor.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
            Because i found one online with 25-35k for $450.

That and its just something different. I mean, come on, its got VTEC

No, i know VTEC doesnt do much with 145hp, but eh..its a step in the right direction.
            Its got pussy vtec. Hardly vtec vtec. Id rather have 160hp than 145. Just wire in the knock sensor.
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

knock sensor is not hard to run check the swap section.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                id spend the money towards a h23 instead...buy a p06 and have it chipped to eliminate the knock sensor.
                My first question would be, how long could/should i run the H23 on my current ECU, if at all?

Second would be how much is it gonna cost to buy/chip a p06?

I know MRX and a few other ppl chip ECUs, but i imagine that being an expensive, time consuming process...

:EDIT: What about the tranny?!? I cant find anything on that...I know "H/F-series motors/trannies are interchangeable", but i doubt the h23 will hook up like it was an f-series....
                Last edited by MikeW; 01-28-2008, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Ok, well, after some searching im pretty sure the h23 will bolt-up to my tranny. I couldnt find a definite "yes" or "no", but im satisfied for the time being.

Im almost wandering, if i have a little extra left over from the swap, if i should just put in the matching h23 tranny...Im still keeping it AT since the gears on the h23 tranny are a little bigger, i could play with it more.

If not, oh well. ill just be happy with a new engine, lol.

Comment

I think the phrase "all h/f series transmissions are interchangeable" answers it.
                    To-Do List for Today
                    Be Awesome

Comment

Stop trying to be spoon fed. The answers to your transmission questions can easily be found with some searching.

For ecu, if you want to use the h23, use a p14. It's 1 wire for the knock sensor. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. If you want, you can hunt down the hard to find, super rare p39 ecu. Most come in auto, so it shouldn't be that hard to find one. It's gona cost you tho.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                        Stop trying to be spoon fed. The answers to your transmission questions can easily be found with some searching.

For ecu, if you want to use the h23, use a p14. It's 1 wire for the knock sensor. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. If you want, you can hunt down the hard to find, super rare p39 ecu. Most come in auto, so it shouldn't be that hard to find one. It's gona cost you tho.
                        First of all, it seems none of these old country folk understand the idea of an engine swap. No matter how much i break it down and try to make it look "non-tuner like" they either wont do it, cant do it, or say they understand why i would wanna do it. Im sure if i had a 74 Nova and wanted to put in a 402, theyd do it....bad example i know, but nonetheless. So if i can even find anyone to do it, they may not understand everything and will either end up charging me an arm and a leg or give up saying it cant be done.

Im not wanting to be spoon fed, i simply dont know enough. Obviously my searching skills arent that good because it took me about 30 minutes to finally come upon an answer on the tranny thing. All i could find was h23 tranny on f22 engine, not the other way around. But i did find something.

The only little bit i found on ECUs was that a chipped p06 would be a good bet. Now i gotta source out a chipped p14...

Either way, i gotta find out how much they'll cost me. If i have the swap done before i get the chipped ECU im gonna have to run it off my pt6...

Comment

Found a stock p14 for the H23.

How much does it usually cost to chip?

Comment

DIY then. Give yourself a full weekend and you should be able to pull it off without much more than a hoist and an extra pair of hands. Save a ton on labor, too, so you can go fully H.
                            To-Do List for Today
                            Be Awesome

Comment

You don't chip the p14 ecu.

If you think you really can't find anyone where you live to swap in a different motor, just get another f22a1/4/6. With the h23 manifold and tb they're run with an full h23.

Seriously. My buddy and I both have 4th gen preludes, both have h23 manual transmissions, both have the same intake, header, and exhaust. My prelude is f22a1 powered and hers is h23a1 powered. On the open track neither one can pull away from the other, and in the quarter mile they are about .2 seconds different and 1mph trap speed. On the dyno mine puts down about 3 ft/lbs more torque but hers puts down 4 more hp. All the differences between them can be atributed to some sort of error (human or dyno error). The biggest difference between them is mine requires regular fuel, and hers takes premium.

Just get another f22aX motor and do the direct swap with the h23 manifold. I don't think anyone will question you, just tell them you need them to replace the motor. There are no extra wires, no tircks of any soret, your stock ECU will run it perfectly, and it's the easiest and probably cheapest swap you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X