Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H22A Swap 90% complete, but won't start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A Swap 90% complete, but won't start?

I have a 92-95 JDM H22A engine in my 91 Accord LX Sedan 5speed, with stock F22A manual trans. Anyway, the swap is complete except for the VTEC wiring, secondary intake thing, and knock sensor wiring. Also my O2 sensor isn't hooked up (waiting for new downpipe). So, its just the upper half of the exhaust manifold on it. I still need to work on the vacuum hoses and MAP sensor stuff, they are hooked up but I don't know if they are right. And finally, the big one - still using the PT3 (I believe its PT3, the 91 LX 5-speed ECU) ecu, P13 won't be here until tomorrow. Accessory belts aren't installed either. But, it should still start, right? BTW, after cranking it doesn't throw any codes, suprisingly.

I am just trying to get to a point where I can see if the motor is good, Im not trying to half-ass I only have like a week left for the 30 day start up warranty. I am getting gas, you can smell it through the exhaust. Compression felt good when I spun it by hand, but didn't check it with a gauge, yet. I did the timing belt/water pump on it, and marks are lined up straight.

One thing I am confused about is the "black box" and map sensor. On the accord, its inside the black box, with a hose coming out (this is from looking at the accord shop manual, I haven't opened the box yet). On the H22A, there is one on the throttle body. Which one should I use? Can I unplug the accord one and plug it into the prelude TB one? Is this why it won't start? Is the MAP required to start the car?

Spark, its there but weak I believe. To test for spark, I had somebody crank while I placed the number 1 (furthest from dist.) plug wire close to ground (I used the bolt for the water neck that the upper rad. hose connects to). It was a very faint spark, almost hard to see. On every other car I've done that to, it sparks much brighter then this. My car came internal coil, and the H22A I bought was internal coil as well, so I just used the "new" dist. and plugged it right into the accord engine harness. Im still using the old plugs, wires, cap, rotor off of the swap, all those parts are coming tomorrow as well. But cap and wires don't look that bad?

My plans (for tomorrow or Friday, if its not too cold ):
    -Fix MAP issue
    -Hook up P13 ECU to car (still don't want to add the additional wiring yet until I know the motor is good)
    -Change plugs (NGK V-power ZFR6F-11), wires (NEUSPEED), cap (honda OEM), rotor (honda OEM) on existing H22A distributor.
    -If spark still looks weak/won't start, swap the old, but known-to-be-working F22A1 internal coil distributor
    -Still no start? Not sure what else to do yet...
    -Josh

91 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed (daily/project) - JDM H22A swap
    91 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 5-speed 2.3L (broke)

Plug the sensor on top of the tb, and use the stock accord one, unless you really like your tb mounted one, then wire it into the harness.

Hook up the sensors that need hooked up. Plug in P13 and fire it up.

It should start unless you mixed up sensors and/or have the timing order wrong.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Well I read through the helms prelude and accord manuals and I have a diagram that should work for me, its using the accord firewall MAP sensor. Can I just leave the prelude one in the throttle body (just unplugged but still sitting there)?

Also, there are like 5 vacuum ports on the intake manifold (2 on the back, one on the side, 2 on the front, etc), are they all the same? IE can you fuck up a setup by switching them around? I assume they are all just equal vacuum sources but I just want to rule that out.

And is there any way that an H22A would fire up (even if it runs shitty) with a PT3 or do you NEED the P13 to start it at all? Thanks!
      -Josh

Comment

From my understanding, it would run, but not run right.
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

Not sure if this helps but when I was checking my overheating problem I unplugged all of plugs on the passenger side and when I went to start the car the next morning, It would not start. I tried 4x and then realized that all the plugs were not plugged up..map,egr,vtec solenoid,vtec oil pressure sensor. I unplugged one of my vaccum lines on the intake and the car shut off.

Comment

As long as your map sensor gets its signal from somewhere on the IM, you'll be fine. Make sure there are no open ports.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Vaccum Diagram (Thanks to cpmike)

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...Vaccum+Diagram
              1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
              2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
              3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
              4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
              5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Originally posted by texasvtak
                From my understanding, it would run, but not run right.
                I've heard that it would run with a pt6 but not a pt3.... could very well be wrong though

Comment

Well today I had a few minutes, so I decided to look at it again. The sensor on the driver's side of the intake manifold (its like a flat thing with a 1 inch point on it, not sure of the name) was unplugged because I had to switch it (came broken). So I switched it with the good accord one, and then I noticed I had the vacuum hose disconnected for the FPR, so I hooked it up directly to the intake manifold, turned the key, and it started up, idled for 10 seconds and died, and had CEL's. This is with the PT3. I'm so happy/relieved now! I just have to finish wiring and vacuum hoses and its ready to go! Thanks for all the help!
                  -Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X