Questions About lightened flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About lightened flywheels

I have heard positive things about lightened flywheels with such experiences being an increase in throttle response as well as acceleration. I would like to know what are the cons though such as I have heard that it takes away from torque. Is this true? I have also heard the gains outweigh the losses...but what are the losses? Any input would be great especially personal experiences but please focus more on the flywheel than the clutch. I am aware what the clutch can do but am interested in the flywheel especially in comparison of the lightened flywheel vs. the OEM.
    "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Pros:
    - Faster reving
    - Easier to match RPM's between shifts
    - HP increase

Cons:
    - Car becomes less streetable (comfortable), will require you to relearn to drive the car and can get annoying after awhile in traffic.
    - Loss of interia requires higher revs to take off.
    - Loss of torque

Experiances:
    A lightened flywheel is one of the mods that some people swear by, some people don't beleive in. I happen to be one of the non-beleivers. Not that there's anything wrong with them, to each his own. It's just not my cup of tea. I like every once of torque I can get and my H22 is already pretty rev happy. So I really don't see the need to lighten my flywheel. Plus I drive the piss out of my car and since I already hate driving stick in traffic I don't need anything else to add to my fustration.

But if I where to choose one for the F/H I would go with something from 12-14lbs. no less. Stock is around 18lbs. My OE wieghed 17.8 lbs. on my crappy scale prior to install.
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

lightened flywheels are fun... so easy to break lose w/ crappy tires.

rev matching is hella fun

on a closer gear tranny, it feels like u dont lose tq.

buy buy buy!!!!
      welcome to the DOHC-side..muuuahahahahahah

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1906

Comment

I've tried a shaved stocker and my current 8lber.. and my opinion is that both the pro's and cons are greatly exaggerated... but moreso the negatives...

I'd go lighter if I could... IMO the positives outweigh the negatives to a high degree... it changes the driver feedback quite a bit and like someone else said makes driving much more fun... you have not experienced real rev matching until you have a crazy light flywheel... you do have to slightly adjust your driving technique but people's claims that you have to relearn how to drive are ridiculous...

The truth is I read all the hype about the negatives of going too light as well as the benefits... and I was a bit nervous buying an 8lb flywheel... but after driving it I realized how badly it is all exaggerated.... even the improvements to a certain degree... I was expecting so much more honestly... and way more problems...

I'm very happy with my 8lb. fidanza...

the only thing I found slightly annoying is losing a bit of momentum when going up crazy steep hills... but a simple downshift is the obvious answer to that problem...

Do it... and go as light as possible... I will never go back and I highly reccomend this mod to everyone...
        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

mmm... sounds like its gonna be fun for me. got myself a 12 pound act flywheel. cant wait with my new h23 tranny also.

Michalob's CB7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ
            I've tried a shaved stocker and my current 8lber.. and my opinion is that both the pro's and cons are greatly exaggerated... but moreso the negatives...
            how is it possible to shave a stock flywheel? what is invovled? where can it be done? racer on a budget.....pretty much like every diy'er....
            I hate thieves!

Comment

I let Honda engineer the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slateboy
                I let Honda engineer the engine.
                Honda engineers them for economy and driveability - we modify them to increase efficiency.

For Sale: CB7 Climate Control Knobs. Replace your broken ones. $8 shipped or $15 for two. Even hondaautomotiveparts.com sells them for $8.79 BEFORE shipping.

Comment

I believ Unorthodox Racing modifies stock flywheels. I don't know what their rates are though.

I'm looking into an 11.8lb flywheel (XACT) and an Exedy Stage 2 clutch for $499 from clutchcityonline.com. I haven't decided for sure yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

Comment

Originally posted by iamanonymous
                    how is it possible to shave a stock flywheel? what is invovled? where can it be done? racer on a budget.....pretty much like every diy'er....
                    Any decent automotive machine shop can do it... for a pretty decent price too...

I felt the difference when I had it done... but since I got the 8lb Fidanza it's like night and day and would reccomend saving up for a similar weight flywheel...
                    RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

What did you have your stocker lightened to, zigen?

Comment

http://www.honda-performance.com/default.asp

this site offers many cool things. they also can lighten a flywheel to less than 9 pounds. so if i understand correctly, anyone can do that? hmmm.....if anyone can do it, why don't they advertise it and why doesn't everyone do it? hmmm......i would love to able to take my flywheel anywhere and have it lightened for less than $100.00. does anyone think there might be any major drawbacks to doing the mod this way?
                        I hate thieves!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                          What did you have your stocker lightened to, zigen?
                          i also would like you to elaborate on this topic.
                          perfomance gain?
                          weight?
                          overall feel?
                          how long did it hold revs?
                          lack of performance on steep hills?

i feel this may be a good way to go bc most lightened flywheels lose some performance on steep hills. i figure a lightened stocker may be a better choice for me.
                          I hate thieves!

Comment

i just got a 8lbs fidanza flywheel installed last week. its all good! i like the power it gives. and u dont have to learn how to drive ya car again. i payed 200.00 shipped so i guess its worth the money. i smoke people now without the venom chip turned on and with the chip turned on i can easily rip 3rd gear, so yea lightweight flywheel is the way to go!
                            THIS ONE HERE IS CRACK!!

Comment

Working...
                            X