CB7 V6 Swap Parts List & Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperTuner12010 View Post
    Ok so the easyest way is to have a cv shaft made, the regualar end that the accord already has and then the J's side?
    Ding ding ding.

You will have to talk to them about there policies. I edited your post for lack of common sense.

If they aren't responsive, you either a) asked the wrong question b) they could tell you weren't serious c) you never tried again or d) they never got the message.

If you don't like their service, try one of the other shops.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I dont know anyone else who could do it. There arnt many shops here, Even if they did. Even though wouldnt it be better to use the bigger shafts

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

The shop will ask for certain criteria in order to get the custom shafts made: type/size of spline, length of shaft and minimum torque capacity. After that, you'll get some really nice gifts in the mail.
      Last edited by lokuputha; 06-11-2008, 11:31 PM.
      DEVOTE

Comment

well it looks like they swapped a J35 into a EG chassis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnaoVuhr0w

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          well it looks like they swapped a J35 into a EG chassis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnaoVuhr0w
          cool...he said it was a "a bolt in" job
          DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
            No you really aren't. They make hybrid drag axles all the time that not only have to withstand 1000+HP for an entire racing season, they have to do it while having the clutch dropped against racing slicks.

When you cut a shaft, the part that is left is STILL solid steel. machine a new end, and voila, an axle that is shorter but just as strong. In fact, theoretically, a shorter shaft would be stronger, because there isn't as much length for the twisting force to act over.
            umm... driveshafts are heat treated with a very specific process. welding it will create a weak point right arount the weld area (the heat affected zone, or HAZ). the driveshaft will be weaker than stock, and will very likely have a bend in it at the weld from not being able to get the shaft PERFECTLY straight when welding (not to mention warping). not a good idea any way you look at it.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
              umm... driveshafts are heat treated with a very specific process. welding it will create a weak point right arount the weld area (the heat affected zone, or HAZ). the driveshaft will be weaker than stock, and will very likely have a bend in it at the weld from not being able to get the shaft PERFECTLY straight when welding (not to mention warping). not a good idea any way you look at it.
              Yeah, the "welding" method works, but isn't exactly something I would trust a swap of magnitude with.

Bottom line: Get it made by a quality Custom Driveshaft shop.

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Bump one of the most interesting threads on the board. 2 questions:

First: People have mentioned upgrading to the Odyssey knuckles in order to utilize the larger bearing that they use to account for the large amount of power this swap will output.

However, there are plenty of accords on the board running boosted cars with much more power and torque than any of the J-series will put out.

So, to those on this board that have more knowledge than I do, is this a part of the swap that can be overlooked? Or is it something that you would definitely recommend?

EDIT: Looked above at Scott's post and kind of think the Odyssey knuckles are something that can be left off the list.

Second: People have also mentioned upgrading the brakes to deal with the new power that's going to be put out. For stock lx cb7's this is definitely a needed part to the swap.

However, cb9's already have larger brakes with larger calipers. Would this set up, possibly with new rotors and pads, be enough to handle the swap effectively?
                Last edited by Tnwagn; 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                  Bump one of the most interesting threads on the board. 2 questions:

First: People have mentioned upgrading to the Odyssey knuckles in order to utilize the larger bearing that they use to account for the large amount of power this swap will output.

However, there are plenty of accords on the board running boosted cars with much more power and torque than any of the J-series will put out.

So, to those on this board that have more knowledge than I do, is this a part of the swap that can be overlooked? Or is it something that you would definitely recommend?

EDIT: Looked above at Scott's post and kind of think the Odyssey knuckles are something that can be left off the list.

Second: People have also mentioned upgrading the brakes to deal with the new power that's going to be put out. For stock lx cb7's this is definitely a needed part to the swap.

However, cb9's already have larger brakes with larger calipers. Would this set up, possibly with new rotors and pads, be enough to handle the swap effectively?
                  I think the knuckles could be overlooked. From an OEM perspective, they went with larger bearings for more load bearing on the Odyssey, but I don't think it would honestly be a problem.

As for brakes, personally, I recommend ROH for ease of maintenance, and you can then access any ITR or Prelude brake upgrades as you are essentially setup with the same parts. For a stock J series, I think you would be OK with the Prelude 11.2" rotors and a set of aggressive pads. The car is a lot lighter than most of the J series powered cars, and since stopping is based on F=MA, you can either create more force to stop a heavier car, or with lighter mass, an equal force will work better in stopping.

Of course being on the leading edge, you have some experimenting, but personally, my Prelude discs have never struggled to stop the car.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Comment

Also the thing about the J series compared to the heavily modified boosted h22's and F22's...

The J series has a nice power curve and the reliability is a lot better than any boosted or highly modified engine. I dont care how well the tune is.

There is also the possibility of etting the j37 and with a few bolt ons achieving 300whp and still be reliable as stock. There is also the possibiliity of the comptech supercharger. I dont know what the gains are from that but im sure you could be well over 350whp easily.

Comment

I wish that were real

Comment

good stuff...may all our manifestations come true.
                          DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post
                            good stuff...may all our manifestations come true.
                            It wont be that much longer before its done. I am still going to do the swap...I have been talking with the guys who built the j series crx.

They used a tuned p28, and seeing as how the tuning abilities are there. Thats the way to go. The only other thing that was never officialy figgured out was the mounts, whitch the rear may be bolt on along with the driver side and tranny mount in theory. Although the front mount has to be custom no questions asked. And then how to get the speedometer working...

After I get my H22 in I will start saving up for this swap

Comment

It wont be that much longer before its done. I am still going to do the swap...I have been talking with the guys who built the j series crx.

They used a tuned p28, and seeing as how the tuning abilities are there. Thats the way to go. The only other thing that was never officialy figgured out was the mounts, whitch the rear may be bolt on along with the driver side and tranny mount in theory. Although the front mount has to be custom no questions asked. And then how to get the speedometer working...

After I get my H22 in I will start saving up for this swap
                              How in the world did they use a p28?

I'm going to go ahead and say that all the mounts are going to have to be custom.

Comment

How in the world did they use a p28?

I'm going to go ahead and say that all the mounts are going to have to be custom.
                                They got an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness plugged in a p28 and tuned with I think crome pro.

I cant be sure what program they used I have it all in an email I will go look later. But crome pro has the ability to add cylinders...

Comment

Working...
                                X