Right-side CV axle Issue? (H22 swap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right-side CV axle Issue? (H22 swap)

(OK so I did a bunch a searching on here and did not find a good straight answer so I will post a question.)

Car background:
    I have a 1995 USDM H22a swap with H22 tranny of the same year in my 1993 CB7 four dour LX. An automatic to manual swap was performed too...

Issue:
    I broke the right side (tranny side) CV axle two days ago and I went (per the research online about the swap since I did not originally do the swap I had a shop do the initial swap LONG STORY) and bought a replacement from AutoZone for a 93 Accord (manual) [Since that is what the swap guide said]and traded in my old one for the core cost, but since my old CV was trashed pretty bad I could tell the exact length, but I did notice a small size diff. in the replacement. I took it home and installed in the CV axle but during installation I noticed the CV axles was short by like 2 inches. Now after pulling it tight (I mean no play in the inner boot at all) it fit enough to tighten but this scares me, considering the tightness of the install and how it could pop out or worse!

ANY Thoughts??????????
    Should I consider Prelude CV axles?
    Are the Prelude Vtec CV axles longer?
    Has anyone else experienced this?

My members ride thread:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=64358
    Originally posted by Dr. Emmett Brown
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit."

are you sure you got the right axles?, double check the part numbers just to be on the safe side.
    Members Ride

Comment

YEP
      #7074 CV drive axle

My members ride thread:
      "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit."

Comment

You sure it was for a manual? Just take it back and get a new one.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

If you have the h22 transmission... you should be using hybrid axles if I am not mistaken. Its been quite a while since I have read up on them, but I always thought that you needed to use the inner part of a prelude halfshaft, and mate that to the accord outer shaft.

It SHOULD NOT be tight, you are correct in thinking that it could cause problems. It could pop out when you hit a bump, leaving you stranded...

Comment

Nah you should be able to use both stock accord axles as long as you use the stock accord intermediate shaft. It works a lot better than having to do the prelude inner and accord outer. But since its passenger side he should be using the stock accord pass side axle.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Well is it safe to say then...
              That maybe the autozone CV axle is a little shorter then the OEM Honda CV axle?

Because it doesnt fit right and is stretxh bad and I refuse to beleave this is how it's supposed to be. This could be seriously dangerous.
              How much longer are the Prelude Axles?
              Last edited by Kyle; 11-17-2006, 01:01 AM.

My members ride thread:

Comment

The CV axle to use is a 1995 honda prelude right side CV axle!
                Fit like a charm!
                So if your using the H22 tranny use the Prelude CV!

My members ride thread:

Comment

I guess I still say they gave you the wrong axle maybe. MY friend has H22 Trans and hes running all stock accord axles. I am running an h23 and running all stock accord axles so dunno

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                  X