overheating help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating help

awhile back my heater hose broke on my h22a swap into my 93 accord...i was driving home and smelled something weird and pulled over and the hose was gushing collant everywhere...i was only a couple of minutes from home so i drove it home...right as i pulled into the driveway my car started smoking...after i fixed the hose and put more collant in i started up my car...the engine made a weird metalic metal on metal knocking noise...you could hear the noise if you had the hood open but if you were driving you couldnt hear the noise until 3700 rpms...since my car lost coolant and overheated could that have bent a valve or done something to cylinder head...i took it to two mechanics and they both said that it was the balance shaft but i took the balance shaft belt off and the noise still persists...also one of the mechanics did some test and said that it wasnt a piston/rod/cylinder problem...so it has to be in the head...does anyone have any suggestions? i cant seem to find a mechanic that will actually look at my car so i need some help...

that's odd iv had my radiator explode and over heat my car and there was two other times after that my car overheated into the red and mine still runs fine.
    92 Accord EX 2dr -- G22 project
    -5 Speed Swap 10-10-05

Comment

huh...well i did get an h22a from japan so i dont know if the engine had been used for racing in japan or what...so i didnt really know the condition of the engine...but could a valve have bent or something in the head have messed up from overheating? or could i need a new head gasket? i just need some suggestions so i can start working in one direction...

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you check the head around there to check it visually then fill it back up with coolant. Check the coolants color if its brown it can be your headgasket etc(oil mixin in with the coolant /coolant mixing in with the water either situation overtime of even daily driving it in any day given condition will have engine catastrophic reprocutions. In other words your motor blows up youll be fucked out of a motor . Unless you catch in time ,its highly suggested that you get a compression and leakdown test to see what the damage is .

And then get it fixed. If it overheated for a very long time and the headgasket went you will have to take the head off the block and get it resurfaced ,what they will do is shave off a little bit of the head to get it nice flat and true . Then they change the headgasket on that be sure to get some good copperseal to get a nice seal inbetween the head and the block.

Then it could be your waterpump,/hoses like you said from before or thermostat heatercore but you dont have leaks like that in the cabin but so thats straight. as far as your mechanic checking the piston and valve shit overheating wont cause a valve to get messed up. I say its your rods that can be fucked up metal on metal. As far as the knock was it light or was it heavy heavy. If its heavy its gotta be the rods but then again you wont really know unless you open that bitch up and see what went on in there.

Just be prepared for the worse and pray for the best and get her back on the road runnin strong again

Comment

i highly doubt they race ludes in japan.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
            heh thats what you think they race anything out there.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
              Agreed I only saw one prelude out in the streets when I went back this year. Last time I went back didnt see any. They mostly drive toyotas, nissans and such. I saw plenty of type R ek9 and dc2. Only a couple DC5 but most of them were at the track. And I wouldnt think they used your engine for "racing". It just depends on how well they maintained it.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

how do i check the coolants color? i took the cap off of the radiator and the coolant still had the greenish look/tint...i havent driven it but off a trailer and into the garage once it made that noise...so there is no daily driving it until it gets fixed...

Comment

Why do you need to check the color again? A greenish tint should be good enough.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ok well i didnt know if i was supposed to check it from one of the drain points on the engine...i just opened the radiator cap and looked...

Comment

Yea thats all you need...If you drain it whats the point of lookin.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah...also somebody mentioned that it sounded like i had a messed up rod...the noise is up in the head...the mechanics i took it too used to build V8 race engines and they said that it wasnt a rod/piston...i know i already said this but just saying it again...could this noise possibly be from a worn camshaft? or worn rocker arm?

Comment

well, its really hard to tell because you didnt notice you lost coolant until you smelt it. It could have over heated way before then, plus then you drove home. Maybe warped something? i dont know, its hard to tell because we arent there.
                          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
                            well, its really hard to tell because you didnt notice you lost coolant until you smelt it. It could have over heated way before then, plus then you drove home. Maybe warped something? i dont know, its hard to tell because we arent there.
                            Yep the sound is gonna be hard to diagnose. Could be your valves. And if you still drove it whiel it was overheating im pretty sure something is warped now too if its acting up as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well i only drove it for a couple of minutes...probably like 5...so i dont know...what would have warped if something in deed did warp?

Comment

Working...
                              X