The J30A V6 Swap attempt - questions, comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The J30A V6 Swap attempt - questions, comments

ok i know that i have asked about thoughts on a C23 from a legend but what about a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6spd. i tried to do a search on this site to see if anyone ever mentioned it. Thoughts and possiblilities. i am about to close a deal on one, rear end is wrecked. and he just wants it out of his driveway. he is asking $5500 becuase the motor only has 32k miles on it and everything else is fine. Now put into consideration the price of what he is selling it for, i can get the whole car fixed for around $7k and that is just for parts and my self as well as my crew will get the rest of it fixed, IF i do not decide to "experiment." All four wheels are in good condition as well as rotors, possible five lug conversion, using the 17's and brakes. My question to you all is what are your thoughts?

Mods so far noticed that needs to be done to the CB7 here that i have is complete removal of everything in engine bay(of course) center console and dashed moved back and raised a bit, thats just what we have noticed so far. I am really trying to get into the swap thing do that i can develop a Swap Guide as mentioned before for the CB7. Possible motors that are know and unknown. Not just Honda mators but a few others as well. Avg cost for the swaps and so on.may take quite some time but i think it may be very informative and may also stop the "What about this motor questions"
    Get'em tough get'em boosted. Start Boosting at a Young Age.

search J30A* ... There is a HUGE thread I had asked about this last year when I was planning the same thing

I also believe I may have mentioned this in one of the C-swap threads?

don't listen to skeptics... it WILL fit - major issues are cooling and front-heaviness ... and possibly suspension stress

more money than usual would be involved because this would be a first-time project - but it is by no means unattainable, IMHO

FYI - my thread is about the J30 from the 6th gen, which is a J30A1 and was not offered in a 5-spd until '01

the 7th gen contains a J30A4, which, like other variants in other engine series, is the same as the A1 only with a better intake - it was commonly available in a 5-spd and not so commonly available in a 6-spd (one of which i happen to own)

My original J30 swap thread

search with "J30A*" as subject

that should start you off - i'm in a good mood, so I searched for you and I pulled a BUNCH of results...

I'm going to close this thread now because there IS a lot of info/ opinion floating on out there regarding the J-swap theory - and I don't want a bunch more "forget it that's dumb, swap an h22" when you're simply presenting us with a supposition

.. P.S. i almost did the swap when our last AV6 got wrecked - but ended up just buying the newer one - the A4 pulls harder than my A1 did - and the A1 had a aftermarket internals in the head and a port/ polish ( i know the 6-spd helps a lot)

and if you're getting that whole car for 5500 - you can help defer your costs by parting whatever else you don't need for yourself -

if you're not so worried about money - i say go for it - but rip everything out and restart it from scratch... reuse if you can, but its easier to start with an empty engine bay and build up again than to go back and forth with whats there and what's not and whatever

let me know if you're still missing an answer once your done - my PM box is (usually) open

good luck

~*~Cass
    Last edited by i'm the girl; 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM.

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

o wait please do not close it just yet. i wasnt quite sure what the engine code was and i would like to be able to turn this thread into...ah nevermind lol, i will save that for later. thankyou madam

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Perfection
        o wait please do not close it just yet. i wasnt quite sure what the engine code was and i would like to be able to turn this thread into...ah nevermind lol, i will save that for later. thankyou madam
        LOL - well its open for now anyway -

the code in the 7th gen AV6 6spd is J30A4 - 3.0L better intake than the A1 (from the 6th gen)- and as for gas prices, it gets me 30 on surface streets b/c i can usually keep the rpms under 2k (which is awesome )

i don't know if you've driven one, but even its big 7th gen chassis the car's got some go (tranny really helps with that)

honestly I'd buy it for the sheer fact of having the 6spd - those are really HTF

good luck

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Yes i have i used to work for honda for a very short period of time. it was my demo i still remember the stock number and everything i love that car. 2003 Honda Accord EXL V6 Navi 6Spd. Nighthawk Blackpearl. raced a BWM M3 when i was in New York and it surprised me a lot, i actually kept up and walked him on I-95. I was kinda mad at my job which is why i did that. and then i ended up selling the car to a customer right before i quit. i wished i bought it still to this day

Comment

Just a couple of interesting notes for the J30A4:

1) They feature a .7 bump in compression if memory serves (from 9.3:1 to 10:1)

2)They have different, more efficient heads with larger valves, and integrated exhaust manifolds (i.e. this car has no headers, only 2 straight downpipes with integrated close coupled cats). Because of the odd exhaust system, there aren't any aftermarket header manufacturers that I know of, which kind of stinks because it was relatively easy to get an additional 20-30 WHP out of a J30A1 with a complete and proper exhaust system.

3) They are equipped with knock sensors, which the J30A1 was not. This allows them to make their full rated 240-244HP on 87 octane pump gas. It also allows them to make more on 91 octane. I have seen 5 speed auto 7th gen V6's lay down up to 212 WHP on a dynojet, which put the crank HP at about 260 or so. They often lay down a number within 5-10 WHP of an Acura TL.

4) The "high inertia" intake manifold, coupled with the higher flowing exhaust system, allows for more total airflow.

The new '06 J30 powered Accord received an official 4 HP bump, but this number is under the revised SAE procedures. It would have been about a rated 15HP bump under the old system, but I still think this might be conservative. The new engine lobs about a .5- a full second from the 1/4 mile times of both the auto and manual cars. I have seen mag times for the new 4 door V-6 6speed in the mid 14's bone stock, down to the paper airfilter. Typically, you would see high 14's to low 15's with the pre 06 J30 6-speed coupes, although I saw a few that got down to mid to low 14's. That jives with mag times on those cars too, so I think they are fairly accurate and acheivable.

This has nothing to do with the CB7 or the J30, but then new rear end on the '06 4 door makes it a much more cohesive design, makes it more upscale, and even looks really good IMHO.

I will own one. Oh yes.

Good luck if you decide to do it.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

love the new accords. they really did a number on the rear end. also they finally added a manual to a v6. i should sell very well. regardless of the less hp it will still outperform the altima 3.5 and camry v6

Comment

do it man be a pioneer

Ride List
                1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

i am going to do it. i will buy the car tomorrow afternoon and will start doing some diemensional work first on the motors, space of the engine bay, and see if i should give it an attempt.

Comment

ok now i have to ask this, I'm the girl please do not close this post. i will post continuos updates, on this motor swaps.

Comment

maybe you should just start a new one tittled what swap your doin once you get started and make sure you take pics of everything lol

Ride List
                      1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                      2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                      newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Now I gotta few question here. The 7th gens i heard the trannys are a bitch to mount. Then they didnt make a six speed till 04 unless you count the CL which was a j32a something made in like 03 because of final production. I dont doubt it will fit but its gonna require some cuttin I would think.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yes, there is a 2003 Honda Accord with a 6spd. i do not mind fabrication. but i figured y try and do an S2k conversion in which i see several threads for when you can try and go for an already ready FWD motor setup using a V6 with slightly similar numbers. but if i see that there is just a little bit to much to do then ill just work on the car. i would love to actually have the car it self. Just all depends.

Comment

I also thought about mating a J30A to a K-series manual transmission as it will basically be damn near impossible to find those 6-speed trannies, and they're both on the driver's side of the engine. All you'd really need are the mounts, bellhousing adapter and figuring out the electronics...

Good luck on your project though.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                              Now I gotta few question here. The 7th gens i heard the trannys are a bitch to mount. Then they didnt make a six speed till 04 unless you count the CL which was a j32a something made in like 03 because of final production. I dont doubt it will fit but its gonna require some cuttin I would think.

The six speed in the CL, the new Accord and the new TL is pretty much identical. Obviously, the CL and TL versions have the LSD, and the Accord does not, but I do believe they are the same, right down to the gearing.

In just a few years, those trannies will be more widely available because Honda isn't being as stingy with them.

The 6 speed became available in the Accord in 03, but only in the EX V6 coupe. In '06 it became available in the EX V6 coupe and sedan.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X