no CEL, VTEC not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no CEL, VTEC not working

i just finished my swap.. the motor runs super niiice.. i had CEL 12.. but then i replaced the EGR valve and it went away.. i checked the wiring for vtec.. everything is good.. i soldered and everything.. i tested it out for vtec.. i get nothing.. it just cuts off at 6500 rpm.. its a jdm h22.. with a p13 ecu.. the screens are fine.. i checked those.. i checked the pins.. thats fine too.. could it be the ecu? how can i tell if it is the ecu? i dont wanna buy another ecu and then have the same problem.. everything else is perfect.. i just dont have vtec.. im not even getting any CELs..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Well if you jump your ECU and it just stays on usually thats a bad ECU. Id say check your oil and make sure its proper level and double check to see if everything is plugged in around the vtec solenoid. Im assuming your check engine light works since you already pulled codes from it.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah.. my CEL works.. my oil level is good.. everything is connected.. connections should be good since im not getting any CELs..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

Were you able to go into VTEC before this happened or did this just happen after the swap?

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i just finished the swap.. when i got rid of all the CELs.. i tested out vtec.. and i got nothing.. it just cut off at 6500..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

I guess check the ground for the VTEC solenoid? Sometimes if thats not grounded that might be a problem.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah its grounded.. ill try and ground it somewhere else to see if its the problem.. but i dunno what else to do..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

Yea im kinda off right now. Drinking with a couple of friends and surfing forums aint really a good combo lol.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

how do i check the oil pressure and the solenoid if they are bad?

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

yeah it wasnt cold.. haha i was driving it around after i got rid of the CELs.. then after a while.. i tested out vtec.. then nothing.. i rechecked wiring.. and it was good.. still nothing.. but ill check them.. anything else i should check?

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                      check the pressure with a gauge i guess........not sure the voltage the solenoid should put out though

and you're sure it wasn't cold?

i'd try another ecu if i could

Not a bad idea you can swap ECU to see if its bad didnt think of that. You can also try to swap out with someone else with a VTEC solenoid and see if it helps.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah.. i might try switching solenoids with someone.. but i dont really kno anyone around here with a h22.. maybe ill try using my friends civic ecu..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

You talkin bout the P28? If I remember correctly it has to be chipped to run the H22A or else its not gonna run correctly. I forgot some VTEC solenoid might be interchangeable. Might want to check if a GSR VTEC solenoid part number is similar to an h22a. Somehow im thinkin VTEC solenoid for some reason but i can be wrong.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah.. i was thinking that.. but wasnt too sure.. i dont kno anyone else that has a p13 around here..but ill check if the solenoid is bad.. if its still good.. i might get another jdm p13.. hopefully it'll fix the problem..

hmmm.. if i unplug the solenoid and vtec oil pressure.. would a CEL show up? if it doesnt.. maybe the ecu is bad.. and therefore not reading vtec or something.. if it does.. then i guess its solenoid or oil pressure or something else.. just a thought..

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

Yea you could try that too. Might have to drive around a lil to get the CEL to come on or you might not have to. But if your ECU is reading codes i dont see why its bad. But you never know shit happens.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X