I need more understanding of the OBD I & II system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need more understanding of the OBD I & II system

Ok I just read FizzBobs engine list(s) and differences.

He mentions open and closed deck. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what those two things mean.

I'd also like to know what year was is when the motors changed from OBD I ro OBD II

I'm considering a swap but I'd also like to know what are the complications with the wiring of the ECU is like if its just simple plug and play.

I found an h22 for 1900 im really waiting for the prices to get a little lower.

So if anyone can elaborate and help me out I'd really apreciate.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

I'm having trouble thinking of a way to put the open and closed deck thing so it makes sense... Basically, a closed deck is solid around the cylinders, so it doesn't flex... This is much better for any kind of forced induction, since it puts more strain on the engine as a whole. I'm really not sure why the open deck design was used. I can only guess it's for weight, NA durability, or cost... maybe even cooling. I'm sure that's an easy answer for someone who knows a little more than me...

OBD II started in 1996. So, if you're looking for an H22, go for 92-95. I believe the OBD II H22s are also open deck, whereas the older ones are closed... Not positive though.

Wiring an OBD II ECU would be a bitch, from my understanding. An OBD I ecu for an H22 would be easy enough. Just 4 wires to add to the Accord wiring harness (to make things easy, be sure to get a Prelude harness and snip off the connectors you need...)

If you want the easiest swap you can possibly get, go for the "Full Swap" option from www.hmotorsonline.com. The price would be about $2400 shipped (what I paid for cross-country) and you get EVERYTHING you could possibly need... even the Prelude axles, which can be used to make some nice hybrid axles that will work with the Accord (We need a DIY for that! ) $1900 is a good price for a basic swap (engine, ECU, tranny) but you'd be better off with the full. Chances are, you'll spend the same amount of money for either in the end... and any money you save might not be worth the aggrivation.

Comment

^someone who knows a little more than me.

Comment

actually the whole purpose of open deck is cooling. honda engines were never ment to run under boost so cylinder wall flex was not an issue when they desinged the engines.
        FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Working...
        X