accord/nsx V6 DOHC hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accord/nsx V6 DOHC hybrid

alright dudes before we all jump to conclusions of me being a 15 yrs old kid that crashed my mom's mini van street racing let me ask this...

will a nsx motor drop into our accords? haha WAIT im not done, ever since i was a kid ive been waiting to inherit my dad's 93 cb7 coupe SE, well i finally got it, but already took off with a different platform. my plans however still lie in my head unshared. seeing as i probably wont be doing this, i dont see why another psychotic enthusiast wouldnt give it a try.

my theory of this build revolves around how integra guys build their LS VTEC motors. since everyone here is pretty familiar with accords, i am sure those from north america know of the V6 model that came out in 96-97 in the 94-97 generation. i thought since the f22 still existed in the later generation to the 90-93's, and the V6 fit in this engine bay, why couldnt it fit in a cb7. incase anyone is unfamiliar with this motor, it is coded a c27, basically a 2.7 V6 sohc. so far so good? it puts out 170hp@5600rpm and 165lbs/ft@4500rpm.(very impressive numbers for torque) now for the frankenstein transplant... the head from a dohc vtec c30 nsx motor. bore out the block to accomodate for the 0.3 increase in displacement, bigger pistons, a few stronger internals, and you are good to go?

again this is just shit i thought up of, just looking for a discussion, and for some of the tech gurus to point things out that would go wrong.

oh yea, one flaw was that the c27 only came with a 4spd auto tranny. how one would get this thing to a stick, i would have no clue.
    Last edited by siR_F20b; 02-24-2006, 03:54 AM.

I hate to be the one to say it..... buuuuuut....

The 5th Gen V6's had larger engine bays... it was slightly longer (front to back) to accomodate the V6...

But in theory... a headswap might be possible in that chassis though... who knows... another possibility is the Acura legend... also having a V6...

See... rather than crap all over your idea I made a suggestion...
    RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ

The 5th Gen V6's had larger engine bays... it was slightly longer (front to back) to accomodate the V6...
      Damn you Zigen, beat me to it. Yeah, the V6 Chassis is like 1.5" longer, and like .5"-1" taller (thicker at the front clip) than the F22 Chassis, all the length and tallness is only in the nose of the car, also, mounts are WAY off.

Just to avoid confusion, AV6 made it's first appearance in the 95 Chassis.

Here's a pic of the length difference....
      EX V6 (You can tell this car is a 95 by the font bumper's design)

EX Coupe (non V6)

Comment

Originally posted by siR_F20b
        alright dudes before we all jump to conclusions of me being a 15 yrs old kid that crashed my mom's mini van street racing let me ask this...

why couldnt it fit in a cb7. incase anyone is unfamiliar with this motor, it is coded a c27, basically a 2.7 V6 sohc. so far so good? it puts out 170hp@5600rpm and 165lbs/ft@4500rpm.(very impressive numbers for torque)
        170hp@5600rpm and 165lbs/ft@4500rpm

VS

JDM H22A 200hp @ 6800rpm 161tq @ 5500rpm

your better with that dude...

i thought of the cd av6 swap but with all the hassle with mounting the engine correctly you might as well just buy a cd5 v6 and try to make your idea work.

Comment

yo uare much better off loooking at the K series of engines from the 03 up accords.

Comment

Like SSDH22Accord said, you're much better off getting an H22. Better numbers, easier swap(MUCH), would be cheaper when you factor in costs to fabricate, and there's a wealth of knowledge on this site about it.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

its okay to dream.. there are some pictures of a EG with an s2000 motor and drivetrain running around somewhere.

Last edited by phatdoughnut; 02-24-2006, 04:26 PM.
              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I seen in person (but did not 100% verify) a possible NSX 3.0L automatic motor in an 5th gen Accord automatic V6 LX. I was going to verify by checking block codes, etc but the kid revved it up and I was like and went dumbfounded/retarded...so after that I forgot...that sound was killer...it had TRUE dual pipes from headers back and intake so it was enhanced even more the sound....yea..i was awestruck. Kid and his uncle found this "97 3.0L V6 NSX" engine from junkyard and got it for $600 with auto tranny!! later I found out that both 5th gen V6 accord motors and NSX are both C series motors so...it seems possible
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                  I seen in person (but did not 100% verify) a possible NSX 3.0L automatic motor in an 5th gen Accord automatic V6 LX. I was going to verify by checking block codes, etc but the kid revved it up and I was like and went dumbfounded/retarded...so after that I forgot...that sound was killer...it had TRUE dual pipes from headers back and intake so it was enhanced even more the sound....yea..i was awestruck. Kid and his uncle found this "97 3.0L V6 NSX" engine from junkyard and got it for $600 with auto tranny!! later I found out that both 5th gen V6 accord motors and NSX are both C series motors so...it seems possible
                  I agree. We all know Honda's philosophy with B/D F/H motors and chassis, so why would we have reason to believe these to be any different. I think it is probably a case of F/H many components of the block are interchangeable, the NSX version just had different sleeves/piston squirter/ better rods etc.

I even remember some tech articles from back in the day mentioning the NSX engine being "based" on the C32 in the 2nd gen Legend.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Another good candidate that would make for a nice sleeper would be the 99 Acura CL with a 200 hp j30 3.0L V-6. I believe this is the same engine that came in 6th gen V-6 Accords. Imagine putting a TL-S motor in there...

Making more power than an H22 that is smoother, and quieter in a chassis that's close to the 4th gen chassis..

Comment

Originally posted by KoNEY
                      Damn you Zigen, beat me to it. Yeah, the V6 Chassis is like 1.5" longer, and like .5"-1" taller (thicker at the front clip) than the F22 Chassis, all the length and tallness is only in the nose of the car, also, mounts are WAY off.

Just to avoid confusion, AV6 made it's first appearance in the 95 Chassis.

Here's a pic of the length difference....
                      EX V6 (You can tell this car is a 95 by the font bumper's design)

EX Coupe (non V6)

The C27 would actually fit in the bay of a regular CD5 and work fine. According to something I read about it in 1995, they extended the nose because they felt that although it would have worked fine, they thought it would push the cooling system too close to its limits, so they extended the nose a bit.

Originally posted by Prez808
                      Another good candidate that would make for a nice sleeper would be the 99 Acura CL with a 200 hp j30 3.0L V-6. I believe this is the same engine that came in 6th gen V-6 Accords. Imagine putting a TL-S motor in there...
                      The first gen 3.0 CL and 6th Gen Accord V6 do share the same engine. It would interchange with the 3.2TL Type S engine. I would like to do a 6th Gen V6 with a new RL block, 3.2CL Type S heads and manual tranny (LSD), CL Type S intake mani and Comptech supercharger.

www.V6performance.net

There is a guy on here with an Accord that has a supercharged version of the swap you speak of. It is slushbox and is in an Accord. But it is still fully loaded and runs low 13's.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

the issue with the engine being longer isnt so much a problem as it is taller. in many sr20det swaps into nissan 240's require the front radiator mount to be removed along with a good section of the front bumper support, to accomodate for a fmic and a thinner rad/fan. with the taller engine, there are many aftermarket hoods these days aftermarket hoods have vents everywhere u could think of that might work with the protruding motor. anyways if you get creative enough it can be done with great reward. i just remembered that the 90-93 legend had a 6 speed tranny that just might match up. and for the gentleman comparing the accord v6 to a h22a, when everyone gets into this import fad they sometimes forget that the point of modding our cars is to make them unique and faster. instead of comparing the accord v6 to the h22a, compare the accord v6 with a nsx vtec head hybrid to the h22a. h22a's are too abundant these days ppl should look into the f20b along with other things to spice it up, before the scene becomes *** and repetitive

Comment

F20B is just so expensive and peaky... I still think the H22 is the best bang for the buck (aside from turbo...)

But yeah, F20B is definitely the better "I wanna be different" swap... it's one of the most expensive bolt-ins, but one of the cheapest "unique" CB7 swaps.

I would love to see the NSX motor in a 2nd gen Legend. Those cars are beautiful. They came in 5 speed too, didn't they? (I probably repeated plenty that was said above... but I still wanna see it!)

Comment

Originally posted by siR_F20b
                            the issue with the engine being longer isnt so much a problem as it is taller. in many sr20det swaps into nissan 240's require the front radiator mount to be removed along with a good section of the front bumper support, to accomodate for a fmic and a thinner rad/fan.
                            no they dont. plus thats a different issue. the FMIC goes IN FRONT of the radiator, the engine goes BEHIND the radiator.
                            -Mark-
                            CB7
                            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                              no they dont. plus thats a different issue. the FMIC goes IN FRONT of the radiator, the engine goes BEHIND the radiator.
                              you are right, but many of those that have the sr20 swap are boosthappy, and its pretty standard they saw out their front ends to fit a slimmer rad and fmic along with charge pipes. i was just saying that the cb7 front end can* have enough room for the c27 if the guy wanted it

Comment

Working...
                              X