info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

info needed

hey,,, i have an h22a in my 93 accord it works and runs great....no problems but i jusT want to get more top end ....the only mods i did to it were changing the fuel rail and installing an msd ignition system...along with the usual cold air intake AND COMPLETE EXHAUST..
    i am planning to:
    1.change the pistons and put in type s pistons and rings.(higher compression)
    2. install a skunk intake manifold OR THE EURO INTAKE MANIFOLD...(THE RUNNERS ARE DIFFERENT)
    3. wider throttle body maybe a 70mm or 74mm
    4. type s cams and gears or maybe just cam gears....(depends on how my funds go)
    5 if need be put in a block guard..

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?....THE AIM IS TO RAISE THE COMPRESSION TO GET A LIL MORE HORESPOWER...BUT AT THE SAME TIME I DONT WANT TO DAMAGE THE BLOCK BECAUSE IT IS NOT LIKE THE REGULAR CIVIC AND INTEGRA BLOCK..
    YOUR INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..

these are all valid and good mods to create a better motor. although i can see your direction i have some suggestions for this. i suggest to go back to the beginning and rethink your total goal for the motor. do you want A LOT more power or just power you can feel? what is your budget (very important)? time frame? smog legal (haha i know)? basics first.

personally i would go with bolt-ons. the skunk2 intake mani is a good start. the euro-r has the same gains but it takes much more work to get it running well. you have the right direction in improving the intake and exhaust side of the motor. ever changed the flywheel to a lighter one? turbo?
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

i did change my flywheel to a fidanza lightweight and also changed my clutch.....i live in new york and if you dont know about the cops out here they are relentless with the exhaust noise...i dont want turbo...primarily because it will cost me to much to do it the right way...(sleeving this block correctly, i have been told will cost me alot)....and to that end i decided that i want it naturally aspirated until i win the lotto...
      as it stands now i want to add about 40-50 more horses maybe more depending on what else i can do tothe motor....
      (i think that will be enuff to toy with my cousin's eclipse (turbo) and then tear him up....

Comment

What size is yoru exhaust? if its 2.25 go with a 2.5 custom go for a mandrel bent as long as its not crushbent. Then perhaps if you dont wanna boost it if you got the cash i say juice it zex offers a 50-75 shot and youll ace most cats and your straight.

Comment

The head has slightly more flow but the thing thats really helping it are the pistons that whole types setup is a whole the intake mani and the head and the pistons .

Comment

ok that being said how about changing the cam gears to hks or skunk...
            as for nos...(hell no) NA allthe way for now....

Comment

how about using type s pistons and a wider throttle body...u guys think its a good idea?

Comment

so wht exactkly are u suggesting i should do ? in addition to the cams and camgears and tuning..

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                  headwork, better IM, better header, etc

all that would help a lot.........
                  i did change my headers..i'll do some research into getting a headwork done

Comment

didnt spend quite that much got a greddy header though...

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                      greddy is about equal to the stock JDM header in terms of performance
                      damn that isnt to much difference there.....oh well back to the drawing board

Comment

For a header, SMSP or Hytech are the way to go... but with the 4 figure pricetag, they're not in the range of most people. For half the price, you can get the Rage header from kteller.com. The gains aren't quite as good as the first two, but the price is a bit more reasonable. It'll work out better for you than a DC Sports header, or any junk you'll find on ebay! The stock standard JDM H22 header is about as good as (or better than) pretty much anything you can find for under $500 new.

Exhaust, sparkle has it right. 2.5" mandrel bent with a decent muffler. I believe you can get an Apexi WS weld-on muffler in a 2.5" inlet size. That'll keep you fairly quiet. kteller.com can provide nicely made mandrel bent piping. A good resonator might be a good choice too.

The Skunk2 IM is a good choice. I've never heard of the issues associated with getting the Euro R mani working properly, but I suppose that makes sense. You could also contact Extrude Hone and have them work their magic on a manifold for you as well. $600-$800, but it's a nice mod, and not many people here (if any) have done that.

Send a stock TB and $100 to maxbore for the throttle body upgrade. It's a good deal.

As for cams, there are plenty of choices. I'm going with some Rocket Motorsports regrinds (also kteller) for a little while... once I have all my headwork done, I plan on upgrading to some Skunk2 cams. RM cams are $350 with cores, I think. Not a bad deal at all. They supposedly give more gains than Type S cams. Regrinds aren't the best, but I've heard nothing but good things from people I trust.

Comment

It would definelty depend on what your hp goals are. Type S pistons and cams isn't worth in my opinion either. You need the whole head and header to get the benefits of a type s. You don't have to resleeving for turbo/na if you use Mahle pistons. Now if you wanna increase your bore to 88-90mm, thats different. You have to resleeve then. I plan on getting the 11:5 from them if I stay NA. As far as cams Skunk2 stage 2's seems to be the choice for h22's, crower stage 2 is second. Due to price the Jun 3 are in third. Also RMF is a good header maker as well. He goes neck and neck with SMSP. He has a very good reputation over on hond-tech.com. Check him out. I think I saw that the hytech header only work in civics with h22 swaps. I will have to reasearch this one. The skunk2 im requires a little bit of work. Its not exactly a drop and go install. I think it the ivac that needs to be relocated. The euro IM reqires a lot of work. 2point6 over on honda-tech.com did a write up on his install. His app. yeilded better gains that the skunk2 IM but he has a differen't setup than most. As far as the 74mm throttle body. Thats pretty big. The biggest I have seen that is easily stocked by places is 68mm. One mod I didn't see is a lsd. Quaife rules. they are a grand a pop but highly recommended for putting power to the ground. as far as a fuel rail, i am sure its not doing much for you honestly. you don't have the add-ons/upgrades to utilize it. one being upgraded injectors. and the stock ignition should have been left in to save you some money. it is rated for 300whp. only time they are really changed out is if you wanna go high boost turbo or your old one went out. No need for a block guard either. Pretty much a waste of money from what understand.
                          91 Ex CB9
                          JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                          p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                          Weight Reductions
                          R33 or R34 front end

Comment

I've got a question about the Type S pistons. These are made for the 97+ blocks with iron sleeves, not the 92-96 blocks with aluminum sleeves. They aren't coated to reduce friction between the two aluminum surfaces. IMO I would go with Mahle's new Gold Series pistons. Honda Tuning did a great 1st part write up of them in the March issue. Mahle offers six different pistons for 92-96 H22 applications. In standard bore size they have 9:1, stock(don't know if they meant USDM or JDM stock), and 11.5:1. They have that same selection in =.25mm oversized too, in case you need to bore your walls. To clarify on the Euro R manifold, I think what makes it different is that the fuel rail and accessories also have to be sourced from the same manifold. Much like the Bullitt manifold swap on 2V Mustangs. Also, if top end is what you want, you might want to rethink your air intake. Short ram intakes are more suited for top end performance than a cold air.
                            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Since we are into manifolds and such, you shoudl visit DHracing.com .

Check out what dave has to offer and then compare it to others.
                              Try looking into the custom manifold and tb for the h22, along with the head that he could supply you.

I think you need to come on here and post what kindof budget your going on if one at all. Headwork isnt exactly cheap, and pistons are no fun either.

Your best bet for instant power would be to increase the bore. This is just because the flow of the h22 is already massive and adding im's, and headers will just give you smaller increases, (as in 5-10). But I dunno about the h22, maybe I dont know what i'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X