Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipped P28 programs, what actually gives gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped P28 programs, what actually gives gains?

I see in fizzbob7's sig that fizzbob is running a chipped P28. If so what program are you running and what have you done in regards to the P28's inability to operate the IAB?

There are many different programs out there for the P28 that are capable of running the H22A but when tested on a dyno they all lose power over the P13 even though they "feel" faster.

RPT has a custom P28 program to run the H22A that supposibly makes some real power over the P13 but needs to be individually tuned to make sure your engine doesn't knock due to it's aggresive timeing. Is that what you are running? If so what kind of Dyno specs do you have?
    Last edited by BustedLX; 08-23-2003, 10:47 PM.
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

cmon man keep this kinda stuff to
    DD: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    PC: *searching*

Comment

You don't think this kind of information could be beneficial to other users maybe considering the same modification?

Comment

I agree and do think its beneficial, and I wanna know the answer too. However, the title should be more along the lines of like chipped p28 or something like that. especially for people searching in the future. He will still check the thread even if it doesnt have his name in it.
        HSHO #3

Comment

I agree I thought about it after I submitted the thread. The subject should be different. The board didn't let me change the subject only the body of the thread. Oh well.

Comment

I was actually going to ask about this myself

I was looking on ebay today at all sorts of chipped ECUs, generic chips, Spoon chips, etc... The two names I recognized were Spoon and Mugen. Some of the specs were listed, and the Spoon program seemed to raise the vtec crossover to 5900 rpm, while the Mugen lowered it to 5000 (among other, probably more important things...)

I have tons of questions regarding this stuff, and I should probably start a seperate thread about it... However, I'm tired, and I might as well get em out while it's on my mind!

1) What's the difference between the generic chips you can find on ebay, and the more expensive ones from well known companies? I know there are tools out there that allow a person to burn their own chips... Could a bad chip cause damage, or just result in a non-running car for as long as the chip is installed?

2) How does a chipped ECU affect gas mileage? I figure that increased fuel delivery would certainly result in less mpg. Also, would larger injectors be necessary, or would the stock H22 injectors work well enough?

Finally (for now...):

3) what's the difference between a P13 and a P28?

I know I have more to ask, but I'll save it for later!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevergote
              1) What's the difference between the generic chips you can find on ebay, and the more expensive ones from well known companies? I know there are tools out there that allow a person to burn their own chips... Could a bad chip cause damage, or just result in a non-running car for as long as the chip is installed?
              The majority of chips you see from large tuners (Mugen, Spoon, Skunk2, JUN, and ETC.) are designed to be run on heavily modified engines. When these names are used to describe a chip they are usually programs that have been adapted from the original say JUN program to run on stock engines.

There are always exceptions. Some are dumps of ECU's that where tuned to run mildly modified engines. Basiclly when you see a "Spoon" program it's the basics from the Spoon program with some slight changes.

A bad chip would cause the engine to run poorly or not run at all and throw a check engine light. An incorrectly installed chip could cause the ECU to be damaged beyond repair.
              2) How does a chipped ECU affect gas mileage? I figure that increased fuel delivery would certainly result in less mpg. Also, would larger injectors be necessary, or would the stock H22 injectors work well enough?
              Gas mileage will be reduced. If you are concerend with gas mileage modifing your engine and engine management should be the last thing on your mind.

The factory H22 injectors are excellent injectors. Aftermarkets are not needed.

3) what's the difference between a P13 and a P28?
              The P13 is the original ECU engineered by Honda to manage the H22A engine.

The P28 is the original ECU engineered by Honda to manage the 1992-1995 USDM Civic EX engine (SOHC Vtec 1.6L). This ECU is the most understood Honda ECU. It's simplicity makes it very diserable. Many things can be altered in this ECU making it a tuners dream.
              Last edited by BustedLX; 08-24-2003, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Cool, thanks! As far as gas mileage goes, I'm trying to keep my car as much of a reasonable daily driver as possible, while still having some power. I like the fact now that I can say "yeah, so my car isn't that fast, but it's faster than it should be, and still gets 25 mpg!"

Comment

Working...
                X