No announcement yet.

"Bang for my buck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2000-$3000 building AND boosting the H22? You've gotta be kidding me... Spend $3000 on an H22 turbo build and you can kiss that motor goodbye. I don't know anyone with a reliable H22 turbo build that spend under $5000 USD. Most of them spend closer to $10,000... even those guys have had some issues. Not many guys (around here, anyway) drive boosted H22s daily for any extended periods of time.

Also, where are you getting this cheap motor? If it's from OsakaJDMmotors (or any of their aliases) you're running a GREAT chance of getting a $750 paperweight.

Unless you KNOW a situation to be good (like Ricky's recent aquisition of two K series motors for an insane price) it's probably too good to be true. I'm not saying your cheap motor IS crap, but nobody in their right mind sells an H22 for that price unless there's something wrong. If there's nothing wrong, then that person has to be ignorant of what they have, or a close friend of yours!

But yeah, boosting an H22 for $2000-$3000 (especially Canadian) won't do you any good. Yes, you can do it... but you'll run the risk of serious damage. Sleeving your block is about $1000, not to mention shipping if you can't do it locally. Then you need to spend nearly $1000 for rods and pistons (not to mention bearings and the cost of installation). The turbo exhaust manifold will be about $500. The turbo itself will be about $500 (for a decent used one... no cheapie 14b for an H22...). There's your $3000 right there, and that's in US dollars! We never got to the exhaust (you'll need a 3" system) Clutch ($200 minimum... and one that cheap won't last too long), BOV and wastegate (you'll want good ones to prevent damage...) charge piping (I paid $220 for my used piping for my F22 kit... including a downpipe... and I got a good deal.) engine management (chipped P28 is the MINIMUM... then you'll need dyno time to get it running right) Injectors ($50 for a used set of 450cc... I wouldn't put 15 year old injectors in an H22 though...) FMIC ($200 or so for a cheapie), head gasket (you'll want strong... $75 minimum)

I'm sure I'm missing plenty... but you get the picture. You don't just slap a turbo kit on an H22 and expect it to last.

Comment

can we say owned. Damn seriously I've been off this thread beacuse I've been doing alot of thinking. *BTW I never said I had $3000 dollars to do a swap. IDK what people were thinking.* My thinking was that I was going to buy a H22a longblock and put it on my auto cause im real lazy and i didnt want to replace my auto tranny within a year: TRUTH:

I have some saved up for something idk what though. but after that comment I have abolutly no idea now. My plan eventually was to have an H22 turbo but not anymore. Truth is I want a turbo car so i guess im going for turbo now........again. IDK man maybe H22A seriously who knows. Ive seen a H22A longblock on ebay of course for about $1200 shipped. Well for now I'm going to save more and more money for this project and get more ideas.

I'll probably buy more body mods like Z3 and CF hood hopefully if someone will sell me thier CF trunk that would be awsome . Ill buy at least one of those things B4 the major upgrade.

Comment

The engine is for sale locally and i know the person, also the demand for the H22 is not that great up here in Vancouver.

Im not planning to run insane boost on it, only 8psi, i talked to some guys that run that on stock h22 internals safely, i just want to be safe and go with rods/pistons, im not going for insane power maybe you misunderstood when i said "build" i didnt mean it as in im gonna go full out and run 400whp+ out of it, sorry should have explained exactly what i was doing. Also i have a garrett T3 turbo already, got it free from a friend. I figure another $1000 will get me the rest of the turbo, another $1300 for rods/pistons installed, and $500 for dyno/tune. and another $400 for a full 3" exhaust, so $3200, maybe im dreaming but i have been reading specs on boosted h22s and thats about all the guys have.

Here is a link to a boosted h22, if you look at the parts list below thats about $5000-$6000 of parts? Im not 100% what this is gonna cost me, im sure it will be more then i think. Thanks for your input deevergote i appreciate it cause it seems like you know what you are talking about, im just getting into this so im not even 100% sure on the prices, and please correct me on anything else dumb i might have said heh The guy below is running 12psi

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...?topic=26234.0

Darton Sleeves
        9.1 Endyn Rollerwave Pistons
        Eagle H Beam rods
        Balance Shafts Removed
        Turbonetics 62-1 T3/T4 Turbo
        Tial 40mm Wastegate (12psi spring)
        Tial 50mm Blow off valve
        2.5in Charge piping
        Custom Coach 8in IC
        Custom Turbo manifold w/ Shitbird Collector
        Stealthmode Oil line kit
        3.0 in Mandrel Downpipe
        950cc Venom Injectors
        Running OBD1 P28 w/ Uberdata
        Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
        Clutch Specialties Stage 3 clutch w/ Fidenza 8lb flywheel
        Last edited by aleks77; 01-23-2006, 01:14 AM.
        1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

hhmm hes got a point there. It really doesnt look like a lot of money. I might go though with this plan.................. maybe, perhaps I suppose

Comment

If you can do all that for $5000 CAD, you won't be in horrible shape. That's not too bad of a setup (I'm glad to see you're at least planning on sleeves... so many think you can just slap $500 worth of rods and pistons in there and call it a day). Don't forget that you have to pay for tuning as well. A poor tune on a built motor can still cause some damage!

Just be prepared for the worst. Even the $10,000 build guys have issues (Accord SiR has one of the best built setups I've ever seen. He knows a HELL of a lot, and does all his own work... I've never seen his car in perfect running condition. It's always got something not working perfectly)

If the H22 is local and you know and trust the seller, then that's a good deal. Anything that cheap from someone you don't know is just plain scary!

Captain K, the $3000 I was talking about was to aleks... unless others mentioned that for you as well. I think when you started this thread someone else had one similar. I think they had a $3000 limit.
            As for that $1200 ebay H22, that's almost guaranteed to be from OsakaJDMmotors. Ask DhN. He bought an ebay motor, and it turned out to be from them, only in disguise. h22sparkle refused to do any more work on that swap because of the source (I think there's some bad blood between them because of that as well... such a shame. Both guys are cool!) So yeah, be SURE to get your motor from a very reputable place. Look for at least 5 people who have bought somewhere. Take ANY bad reviews VERY seriously. Nothing is worse than having a busted somethingorother on your new motor and a.) not knowing what isn't working or b.) having no clue how to fix it.

The minimum requirements for a boosted H22 are:
            sleeves
            pistons
            rods (rods don't have to be TOP quality since you won't be revving too high... Eagle will work well enough)
            upgraded fuel delivery (pump, injectors, rail if you choose...)
            tunable (and tuned!) ECU or EMS

As long as you do all that, and do it properly, a 10psi system SHOULD be ok.

Comment

When you decrease the compression on the H22 does it lower the Hp/torque a lot?

Comment

I'm not too sure. I know kamaccord said his car was a slug when he was driving with the built motor. He had it ready for boost, but didn't have a turbo setup yet. I'm sure it wouldn't be so peppy.

Comment

Ya i heard a few guys also mention driving on a built motor it does feel slower, but ofcorse then you turbo it and you should be happy

I tried to source out the cost of sleeves/rods/pistons but cant really find prices anywhere, also not sure on how much the labour would be for install of all those components. I know sleeves are well over $1000 installed, thats the biggest expense.

What i plan to do is buy the motor, put it in, drive it N/A until i get bored of it (hopefully long enough for me to save up money for build/turbo/tune) and then ofcrose pull it back out and build/turbo it and tune it.
                  1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

pretty kool man

Comment

***100th POST!***

Comment

H22 build up sounds like a lot of work AND MONEY hmmm best bang for my buck will be turbo for sure or Just H22A.....and its one of those things where I really like a turbo project cause i would feel like ive done more than just swapping an engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X