No announcement yet.

VTEC working intermittently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very true, but, if his "oil pick up" is in the section that is pushed up on his pan. then it would be restricting oil flow to the top of the engine. but you must remember a saying that most of our dad's told us. "its usually the simpilist things that we over look" so in essence, you may be trying to reinvent the wheel. and its prolly something so mundain that once you figure it out, the people down the block will hear you. so look for loose wires etc etc.

Comment

I say all new parts!!!!! j/k like said above check all the grounds and wires, then look into getting a new oil pan.
      Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
      registration is free

Comment

k, im reviving this thread...

I happened to have a spark plug with cracked procelain on it
        replaced all the plugs, and it runs smoother than ever... but...

Still have VTEC problems as before
        Intermittent, only fails after driving for at least 15 mins

Mechanic checked oil pressure, and said it's just fine.
        Could this be my solenoid?
        And does anyone know where to get a new solenoid if so?
        I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks

Comment

Check the green wiring connector at the Alternator. When you bottomed out it may have worked loose. Could explain the Dash lights Flickering as well. If the Alternator isn't charging and sending a correct signal to the ECU it can affect the VTEC Solenoid operation. Also check all the Main electrical wiring & connections for correct fitment & security. The wiring may not have been refitted securely by the Workshop. ???
          Hope this helps.

$4,000 for that work, Mate I think you've been rorted!!
          What were they charging per hour - $500.00 ????
          BTW: How can any of the work you had done affect the Emmission Laws. They must be bloody well strict in The USA.

Comment

Originally posted by GEN46L

$4,000 for that work, Mate I think you've been rorted!!
            What were they charging per hour - $500.00 ????
            BTW: How can any of the work you had done affect the Emmission Laws. They must be bloody well strict in The USA.
            Very strict emissions laws here... and the $4,000 included some other things, which I can't remember at the moment... but there were alot of new parts installed, and it was in the shop for a couple weeks trying to work out all the kinks.

I'll be looking over all my wiring tomorrow... hopefully its as simple as that.

Thanks

Comment

so ur vtec doesn't work when the car is cold am i right but when it get's 2 the normal operating temp vtec works fine am i right

if so that is normal

it's ok i have usdm p13 and mine does the same thing it that is the prob no biggie i think that it's actually good dont wanna rev 2 8k with a cold motor and especiall ice cold oil

H23vtec
              Kee Built/Tuned

87x95 11.7 compression, custom h22 intake, minor head port polished, 70mm tb, 3inch cold air/3inch vstack, stock cams,ebay header with 3inch collector,3inch exhaust.

9.0's at 81mph in the 1/8th mile ohh how i miss my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ssaccord92
                so ur vtec doesn't work when the car is cold am i right but when it get's 2 the normal operating temp vtec works fine am i right

if so that is normal
                Complete opposite, actually

works when cold... not when warm

but my temp guage never rises above halfway... not even close

ps: it's never cold where I live

Comment

i would remove the vtec valve assembly from the head and check/replace the gasket(worn out) and screen filter for any residue buildup.
                  my vtec vavle assembly had a slight leak and when i would rev up high, my vtec crossover stuttered at some times, and when i checked the vtec valve assembly, the leak was worse.
                  bought a new gasket w/ screen filter and it solved my problem.. vtec engagement smooth as silk @ 4800rpms
                  5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                  JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Primo... I think you may be onto something!!!!

My VTEC solenoid and surrounding area joining the head is very dirty... and I happened to find a little drip of oil on my intake... now how the hell did that get there?

Lemme snap some pics, and post em back here... as I'm not 100% sure what bolts I should take out, and such.

Thanks !

Comment

get the pics up asap. also, that gasket/screen filter is about $15-20 shipped so it wouldn't hurt replacing it.
                      also, you said you found oil on the intake.. was that inside the piping or on the outside ??
                      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

the drop of oil was on the outside of the intake... about 8"-10" down from the throttle body.

I'll go snap some pics now, and brb to post em.

Thanks!

Comment

is that gap between the black ring and the head supposed to be there?

see the oil drip? wasn't there the other day.

Comment

nope that gap should not be there. that gap = seapage.

Comment

looks like your cam seal is the culprit. oil pressure is important for vtec engagement and the obvious leak from the cam seal would cause your vtec to work/not work.

btw, i've got an extra OEM cam seal
                              Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 12-30-2005, 11:49 AM.
                              5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                              JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
                                but my temp guage never rises above halfway... not even close
                                ps: it's never cold where I live
                                Does it at least /get/ to halfway?

If not, I'd be inclined to change out the 'stat.
                                2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                                Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                                1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
                                X