Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one?

Okay well I think a swap would be a good idea. Am I wrong? The only thing I am worried about is the Insurance and all that. Do you have to put the engine that is running in your car on the insurance forms or not? I don't know I havent dealt with all that before. But, say I do swap, I either will get an f22b swap from the 5th gens, an h23 swap from the lude si, or an h22a from the vtec ludes. Now I know that the h22 has VTEC and of all three is the most power efficient, but which swap is smartest? Of the three which is easiest to do and which would I have the least reliability problems with? Those of you with the h22 do you run into any problems after a while with the swap? See I'm not really well to do on money so I would probably have to do whatever swap with my uncle so I don't have to pay the $1000 bucks or more for labor at a shop (car mechanic 15 years, semi truck mechanic for 5, now owns own truck company REI Transport and builds old hot rods). My uncle doesn't know too much about imports but he put a newer rebuilt mazda motor into my mazda 5spd pickup though. With someone like my uncle the h22 swap wouldn't be very hard to do ourselves I would imagine right? I have heard it was a pretty easy DIY swap in the 1st place. Is this true for all three of these swaps? If I were to get a f22b or an h23 would those engines be of good choice to put a nitrous system on? Considering I guess I would have to do some head work and internals for the nitrous on them. Is this h22 good for nitrous or bad idea? . II am basically lookin for which are reliablef the h22 is reliable and easy to drop in yourself I think I could just swap that then. If I end up not having enough money which of the f22b and the h23 would be best for reliability and power. Whatever you can tell me would be great thanks.

h22 swap man...

Comment

Id go for the h22 swap if you want id do it for you but you have to contact me bro. Its like this with a swap you wont run into problems as long as you take care of your engine. When you drop it in sometimes the mounts will go but thats normal it happened to me change the oil after its done and everyting and your done. As far as insurance dont tell them and dont pop your hood for noone.

Comment

Yeah if I'm spending over 2 grand on an engine i'm deffinately going to take care of it. I think the swap would be easy enough sinse my Uncle has all the tools and a big ass barn style garage. Should I just get new mounts before I swap it in? Should I get accord or prelude mounts? See i'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of swapping h22 into an accord or getting something else. I've been thinking about just getting a Integra GSR since they run a little under $7000 as of right now and by time I'd save another year would drop prices a little. Or I was thinking the VTEC prelude (92-96) but the dash set up kind pisses me off and with cars that are like sports cars from the factory my insurance would be a shitload higher instead of just having them know I have a family sedan. It all depends on how cheap of an accord. If i can get one for maybe $1600 or less, doesn't need a motor or tranny, as long as theres no rust I guess or at least no rust that can't be fixed, then I would be able to do the swap and have money for body and interior work. You think a junkyard would work for that?

Comment

don't do the h22. i have one and i love it but it was expensive to make it as quick as mine is. For half the price u can swap the head from the f22b1(sohc vtec) and turbo it and get similar(if not more) HP gains but a torque curve that doesn't end. i wish i went that route

Comment

well without labor charge it won't cost much to swap because I won't need a car that runs just in good bodily condition. If I were to get a cb7 in good condition all around it would cost between 3 and 4 grand. I don't plan on making it like "2point6" kind of quick, I just plan on giving it the stardard bolt ons, some internals, and then MAYBE a 75 shot of nitrous. I've seen running cb7s with high miles on them go for under 2000 so if I can find one that doesn't run for between 1000-2000 it would cost almost the same amount to get a swap into a non running cb7 as it would to buy a stock good running cb7 with lower miles. If you think about that, shouldn't i pick the cb7 with a jdm h22 engine with somewhere around 35,000 miles over a stock cb7 with an f22 with somewhere around 80,000 miles on it? That's how I'm starting to see it.

Comment

if u want bang for the buck turbo charge an f22b1

Comment

Well to tell you the truth I don't want a turbo. I would only go with a turbo car if i put an sr20det in a 240sx or something like that. If I go with the accord I just want a nice reliable NA car. Main question I have between h22 or h23/f22b swap, is having the h22 really worth the 1200 or so more than an h23 or f22b swap?

Comment

ll if u are seet on swapping then hell yes the h22 is worth the extra smount. future modding alone is worth the extra amount. i kinda went balls to the wall when i did mine and went with the stage 2 cams while swapping the engine

Comment

If you want the power of the H22, and don't plan to go turbo, then that's your best bet. No other swap will give you that kind of power and reliability without major mods (and then reliability would still suffer). A JDM H22 would probably not be a good candidate for any form of forced induction. If you tuned it right, you could probably run a 50 shot safely enough, but I still wouldn't risk it with mine...

The basic breakdown is:
                    Cheap boost = F series
                    Expensive boost with more power = H series
                    Moderate power, moderate expense = F series hybrid or F series swap, boosted.

If you don't want boost, get the H22. With a few simple bolt on mods, you can get over 180 to the wheels. Plus, DOHC VTEC is fun

Comment

yeah thats true basically what everyone said but if you got the money boost it if your lookin for a reliable daily driver then pick a h22 cause once police pop the engine you can be like i got papers for these and 1. as with a turbo unless you have a greddy kit thats one ticket for mischief to engine and reliability issues with a turbo if you dont keep up with it and i dont wanna hear about you blowin your engine up like hey everyone im gettin no compression and people will try to steal once they know your boosted.

Comment

wow. you uygs need to do some more reading on turbo'd f series. they are just as reliable as any other engine if done the proper way. people will try to steal if you have na h22 also. and having a cop pop the hood HAHAHAHA

Comment

Hey sparkle, i have never seen a cop pop somebodies hood, exactly where do they do that.

Comment

They supposedly pop hoods where I am but I've never seen it. Just don't attract attention to yourself and its fine. Besides, most cops won't know the difference and will be drawn more towards things like CAI and headers. And I even asked my insurance about having the swap. They could have cared less. In fact, the guy was wondering why I wanted to put more insurance on it then just basic comprehensive. Again, YMMV depending on the insurance company.

Yes, the swap is quite easy. Your uncle sounds like he'd have no problem executing it.

Comment

Cops in NYC, or probably any major city and the surrounding suburbs will probably pop the hood. I live in a suburb of Philly, and the cops around here can get pretty tough. I've never had a problem, thankfully, but it's been known to happen.

Also, to answer an old question... insurance. Your rates may go up if you tell them about it... depending on HOW you word it. With an H22, you have 200hp, true... but my insurance application doesn't ask how much power. It's still a 2.2L engine! I believe they do ask about turbo though, and modifications... You can draw the line, and take the consequences as they come. A friend of mine suggested insuring my engine seperately... I may just look into that. I have no idea what it will cost, or if it can even be done...

Comment

Working...
                              X