Turbo, or H22??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo, or H22??

Well, the time has come for me to finalize the decision: do I want to go with an H22, or should I turbo the motor that is already in my 1992 accord dx?

i want to go with the H22, unless someone can give me a really good reason not to, since if i want more power after i get an H22, all i have to do is turbo it, whereas if i turbo my stock motor, then i cant add more power, unless i get an H22, and then have to get another turbo...

where the hell did u hear that u cant add more power when u turbo ur stock motor? k, look at it this way.

it costs ~2k to buy the h22, then around 1k to install(for parts and crap)

for that price, u can not only get a good custom turbo kit, but u can upgrade some of the engine, which in all, will be WAY better than an h22. and like u said, that if u get the h22, and u wana get more power down the road, all u have to do is turbo is, well, the sleeves on the h22 are weak as hell and with boost, ur engine will go kabooom! and if u dont want it to do that, then u would need to build the h22, and then, but a turbo kit, which all that will cost around 5k, maybe a lil less.

so thats leaves the total cost of ~7-8k, damn thats alot, and with that money that u woulda put into the h22, i coulda put it into my car, and made more whp and wtq that ur built H22. cuz with 3k, u can build an imensly strong f22, then with another 3k, i can pieces together an ass kicking turbo kti, then with the remaing money i can buy AEM ems, and let that do all the tuning for me.

just my .02 cents

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

o, and not to be rude, but i suggest u search a little bit more, cuz u have no clue what ur talking about when u said that once u put turbo on ur stock engine u would run out of options and couldnt get more power. F that dude.

Comment

personally i would turbo the F22.
        home built turbo kit, $600.00 around there
        that leves you with $2,400.00 left over. and you can get a good amount of goodies with that left over.
        Head work
        NOS
        custom suspension and brakes, more power = more braking needed.
        and after all that, you could go to JACK IN THE BOX and feed all your pals.

Comment

Well... nobody can make your decision for you. There are plenty of good examples supporting both sides already discussed on this board. Take a look around the swaps forum here and the performance forum for info.

An H22 swap will give you 200hp, and you will still have a stock motor. That's my reason for swapping. As long as you get a good motor (hmotorsonline.com is who I trust most) you'll be retaining stock reliability. Quality bolt-on parts can make some decent power (spend a couple thousand on a good header, like SMSP or Hytech, some proper cams, a valvetrain to go with em, a good intake and a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust system... and good dyno tuning) Once you begin to work on the internals, you can run with many of the turbo guys (look up 2point6's car here on the board. He's our prime example of an all-motor H22... and it's a daily driver)

As for turbo. It's quite true that you can boost your F22 for under $1000. I bought a 1992 DX for that purpose Now, you can build the system for under $1000, but when boosting a Honda motor, you're introducing MANY factors that the engineers of that motor (14 years ago) didn't take into consideration. Things break. Not always, and if you're smart you can prepare or prevent breakage... but turbo brings in a whole new set of possible problems. The F22A CAN make some excellent power, even with stock internals. Midnite Racer X here on our board is doing just that. He's making about 250hp, and capable of beating a lightly modified S2000 (I have the video on my hard drive). However, his setup was built with a lot of planning and research... and he spent countless sleepless nights studying ECU tuning. A less knowledgable man would probably have blown that motor trying to get the kind of power he's getting.

So, it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't turbo my daily driver. I'm happy with my 200 or so horsepower with the H22, and when I build it up, I plan on having it done by people who know that motor. Built for reliability, economy... and of course, power

Comment

I say ride it with the h22 then turbo it but build it before you do. Sure the f22 is pushing those numbers on a stock block with its sleeves and ringlands but thats the case of any motor its used sooner or later period pointblank steel sleeves or not that shits still gonna blow reguardless i rather put it into a h22 knowing im guaranteed to get that power rather than work out the motor itself.

Reguardless pushing a motor thats about to be at the end of its rope is playing with fire automatically i always say. I say build it into the h22 or h23 i rather spend my money into building either those to instead of the sohc no offense it will cost the same either way i just want the power and driveability and dont cheap out like most do then whine when shit goes wrong if you dont have the money point bla blank this games not for you period.

Comment

it is very true on whats being stated to you. now i went for the F22B1 SOHC VTEC cause no one around here, is running them. i like to be different. nothing wrong with the H22 at all. sometimes i wish i had gone that route.. but i still love being different...

Comment

The SOHC VTEC motors aren't really performance motors... though they are upgrades to the stock setup. People have boosted them with some luck as well.

H22sparkle is 100% right in one thing... building a motor before turbo is always the best route. You don't HAVE to, but to go over 10psi, it's very smart!

Comment

i wouldn't turbo something old, that was never meant to be turboed or driven for performance. i like NA. i'd go h22. turbo is cheating and too many poeple have problems. if yo ugo turbo, do it to something that was already designed to be fast in stock form, ie H22...otherwise it's risky business, unless as someone said you really do your homework........and i don't know about you, but i hate homework! i'd rather just set it and forget it (copyright ron popeil of the showtime rotissery cooker. Ronco.). it's a lot easier to just get an H22, NA, with some nice mods to it. it'll run super reliable and you'll never have to worry about boost pressure this and pistons blowing that and all this shit that i hear of all the time. everyone that has turbo on here seems to have some kind of catastrophic engine failure every few months. i don't have time or money to waste on that. i'll be happy with my h22...and then burning shitty ricers who think they're all that, with my 16 year old "POS". don't forget, you can't just go turbo and then drive off into the sunset...there's so much other stuff envolved that you gotta change if you wanna do it properly....more power, better clutch for example. and better pistons and a bunch of other stuff i don't know about.

not to put anyone down who has turbo on here. i honestly admire your courage for doing it! it's always risky business. it's not like we drive sporty out of the box turbos like a wrx that have been tried and tested......and still break. we drive modest family cars that we turned into our own pocket rockets. and fyi i still think the CB7 styling is better than most of the shit out there today......they don't make shit this low anymore. anyway, off topic now.....but me, i'd just go h22. who cares if "everyone has them" i wouldn't wanna have a suck engine just to be different, i wanna go fast, and i'll get the engine for it. and what's our definition of everyone? yeah a lot of people on THIS BOARD have them. but outside in the real world, an H22 accord is super rare....anyway, now i'm even MORE off topic..
                  Last edited by DeathFromAbove; 09-16-2005, 12:45 AM.

Comment

i feel that turbo is not a great choice for a beginning tuner. this is complete opinion. shit i dont know you so maybe you are some turbine god. IDK really.

but if you are going for a swap make sure that you have it installed correctly is all that i can say.

and i disagree with most of what the prev. person before me said. with 3000 invested in to a turbo kit, upgraded or reworked internals along with careful planning is not a bad thing in our cars. i still wont be turboing my accord but thats personal pref. not the same should go for everyone else.

but on a lighter note i move for this to be added to our smilies.. i stole it from jose yO!

Comment

which jose? me?^^

anyways, dude, ofcourse ur gona have problems with any engine that has been modifed a lot, just take a look at how many h22 problem threads there are. TONS, and they will keep coming. ppl r u gona run into problems no matter what, if they dont know how to tune their engine, thats their fault if they blow it up. if they really care, they would learn, and if they dont, then they must have money to just be throwing it away like that.

fuck, if i had the money, i would definately get an h22, build it, then boost, ive always wanted to do that, but since my financial status doesnt allow it right now, ill just build up my f22, make it as powerfull as i can, without going too high on compression, then im gona turbo it.

my advise, which i already gave to u, just search and read, thats the best anyone on here can do for u, cuz we can teach u, but if u dont put ur part in, its worthless, and a waste of time. ive been searching and reading for over half a year, and im still learning, and i want to keep learning. man, i stay up every night, reading and reading, anything i can get my mouse pointer on(lol).

Comment

Is there a single turbo setup that would fit on both a f22 AND a h22 engine? The cb7 I'm looking to buy has 190k miles on it. If such a kit exists, I plan on boosting that engine as it is and when it blows getting a h22 and re-using the same kit. I think I would have to piece my own kit right, one that bolts up to both engines? Basically I'm just being cheap.

Comment

i have been doing my research for quite some time too, and i still havent been able to come to a decision. for now i am just planning to keep modifying my f22 to get into the 15's...i would be very happy with a 15.9 lol. there are many pros and cons to both sides, whether to boost or swap. n/a is awesome, true power and lots of bragging rights vs boost and what not. but nothing sounds sexier than the spool and blow off of a turbo, one of my best friends drives an srt-4 and the other a gs-t so i am around turbos a lot. there is always the h22 turbo which would eventually smoke both of them lol. there is a lot to think about in this decision, so take your time and dont rush into anything. do it right the first time!

Comment

H22 turbo = CRAZY MONEY! Talk to h22sparkle about that... I just did today.

F22 turbo = risky, but doable for someone who's willing to take that risk. Maintain it, don't push it too hard, and KNOW what you're dealing with... it'll be ok.

H22 NA = Honda at it's purest That's how Honda intended it!

If you want your F22 to get you into the 15s, your best bet is to do all the bolt-ons (talk to uslsuspct about his UR pulley set... he's selling cheap!) then lighten the hell out of your car. Check the racing forum for the weight reduction thread. Taking out your AC in it's entirity could quite possibly knock a tenth of a second off your time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              H22 turbo = CRAZY MONEY! Talk to h22sparkle about that... I just did today.

F22 turbo = risky, but doable for someone who's willing to take that risk. Maintain it, don't push it too hard, and KNOW what you're dealing with... it'll be ok.

H22 NA = Honda at it's purest That's how Honda intended it!

If you want your F22 to get you into the 15s, your best bet is to do all the bolt-ons (talk to uslsuspct about his UR pulley set... he's selling cheap!) then lighten the hell out of your car. Check the racing forum for the weight reduction thread. Taking out your AC in it's entirity could quite possibly knock a tenth of a second off your time.
                              thanks for the tips i need all the help i can get!

Comment

Working...
                              X