91 accord lx auto to a 97+ h22a4 manual swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 accord lx auto to a 97+ h22a4 manual swap

well pretty soon im in need for a new engine..

i want to do the h22a4 swap for my car

im just wondering how difficult it is to do this swap compared to the h22a1.. how much would it cost since all that stuff about the obd2 to a obd1 conversion...

i know that h22a1 and a4 have their differences but im just curious how the a4 will do in my car..

i just need the inside scoop on what to do.. anything can help.. thanks!

here// www.hmotorsonline.com I think thats the site?

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
      here// www.hmotorsonline.com I think thats the site?
      ok.. thats a site for engines.. but did that answer any of his questions?

please no whoring..

ppi
      DD: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
      PC: *searching*

Comment

With the easy availability of OBD-1 JDM H22A's why would you want a 1997+ USDM spec engine that has more then likely been mistreated?

It can be done but it's more effort then it's worth in my opinion. You can do it allot cheaper, and keep it tunable if you stayed OBD-1.
        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
          With the easy availability of OBD-1 JDM H22A's why would you want a 1997+ USDM spec engine that has more then likely been mistreated?

It can be done but it's more effort then it's worth in my opinion. You can do it allot cheaper, and keep it tunable if you stayed OBD-1.
          i want to go jdm because its alot easier but the only problem is.. i live in cali.. and over here smog is a big thing.. in addition im in san diego where they have a special unit for busting cars..

my car has been pulled over and had the hood popped.. got a ticket for stupid stuff but not the engine..i dont wanna get written to a smog reff

but yea i dont wanna deal with the smog issues.. plus if i get pulled over and have to go to a smog reff then im pretty screwed..

i want to do the 97+ because im plannin to do a bolt on street legal turbo later.. and im plannin to use greddy.. since they have a street legal turbo bolt on kit..

any more help would be apprieciated

Comment

Originally posted by SsdAccord
            i want to go jdm because its alot easier but the only problem is.. i live in cali.. and over here smog is a big thing.. in addition im in san diego where they have a special unit for busting cars..

my car has been pulled over and had the hood popped.. got a ticket for stupid stuff but not the engine..i dont wanna get written to a smog reff

but yea i dont wanna deal with the smog issues.. plus if i get pulled over and have to go to a smog reff then im pretty screwed..

i want to do the 97+ because im plannin to do a bolt on street legal turbo later.. and im plannin to use greddy.. since they have a street legal turbo bolt on kit..

any more help would be apprieciated
            Well the emissions laws in Japan are ten times more stricter then the emission laws here in Cali. That's why you see so many JDM engines for sale because according to the Japanesse government once an engine is older then 35K miles it no longer burns clean and you are heavily taxed for having such an engine.

There are plenty of people running H22A's in Cali, have you spoken to any of them?

Why would a cop give you a ticket for a different engine? That's got to be the most God damn stupid thing I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
              Why would a cop give you a ticket for a different engine? That's got to be the most God damn stupid thing I've ever heard.
              Its not unheard of since the car is not "smog legal". However, the cop has to know what he's looking at. In lots of cases guys get pulled over and the cop doesn't know the difference between a B16 and D16 that's suppose to be under the hood. I would venture to say most won't know the difference between a H22 and F22. That said, its not impossible to get the car legalized. I plan on doing so myself. I have heard, tho, that the refs in SD tend to be more picky then others. Some check for JDM motors, some don't. Hell, I've heard some don't even check what computer you're running.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this all came about because of street racing.
              Last edited by NutBucket; 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM.

Comment

im just playin the "better safe then sorry" cuz jdm engines in cali is an AUTOMATIC FAIL! my homies who have jdm engines gotta go through hook ups to get it smog certified.. i dont wanna hastle that shit i just wanna get my car smogged at some regular place with out worryin about emissions..

my homie has an h22a on his EG.. his car isnt smog legal
                Last edited by SsdAccord; 01-24-2004, 06:23 AM.

Comment

that sucks maybe i wont live in cali maybe florida instread heh

Comment

Originally posted by SsdAccord
                    im just playin the "better safe then sorry" cuz jdm engines in cali is an AUTOMATIC FAIL! my homies who have jdm engines gotta go through hook ups to get it smog certified.. i dont wanna hastle that shit i just wanna get my car smogged at some regular place with out worryin about emissions..

my homie has an h22a on his EG.. his car isnt smog legal
                    Did he even attempt to legalize it?

EDIT: just because you swap in a USDM motor doesn't mean its smog legal.

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
                      Did he even attempt to legalize it?

EDIT: just because you swap in a USDM motor doesn't mean its smog legal.
                      yea theres a way to make an attempt to legalize it.. but it requires a lot of paper work.. ive seen the requirements.. it doesnt look too good for my homie..

usdm motors are pretty much more a fair game then jdm motors... ide take my chance with the usdm motor...

okay can we get back to the original question i asked please?

Comment

Alright. Then to answer your original question you'll have to rewire your car to ODB-2 if you want it to be legal. Way too much work/trouble if you ask most anyone here.

Comment

There are companies that make OBD-1 to OBD-2 harnesses, I have seen them on Ebay. So the inside wireing shouldn't be to difficult.

The engine compartment will be more difficult but not to bad there are many resources out there so for someone with wiring and automotive electrical experiance it shouldn't be difficult.

It can be done if that's your question. Now can you find someone to do it? If you where in South Florida I could do it for you, although there'd be no reason for it here.

I think Place Racing the company that makes the mount kits also makes harnesses for $300-$400 if you need them to make it.

Comment

i have to agree with ssd accord here... here in san diego cops are the biggest bitches in the world.. if you ever watched the true life on mtv with street racers they give you tickets for your headlights to high... i almost gotten a ticket for having my parking permit hanging between my mirrors... cops here in sd are the biggest assholes... to the jdm usdm h22... i would love to get a jdm engine cuz of less mileage and more power and easier to convert but when its smogg and registration time... it is the hardest bitch to do.... examples: my neighbor has a b20 in an integ he failed twice first time they knew it was jdm failed him got a ticket for it... second time he went to a different place failed cuz b20 are considered a suv engine since it came out of an suv and it is not going to pass smog on a car.... another example: a friend of mine has a jdm b18 on a hatchback... did not pass... here smog people check for vin#.. also if there is a lil modification on your engine EVEN an intake or exhaust or just even plain old wiring they will ask for a sticker from the manufacturer of it.... so basically im saying here in san diego... cops, dmv, and smog check places are the biggest bitches... EXCEPT.. if you have a hook up other wise your two choices are hassle with converting and juss getting it over with to be legal and go the hard way.. or go jdm and if a cop pulls you over and checks for any modification on your car you'll for sure get fined and impounded or juss get fined....... and thats my whole to big cents about this convo
                            Beast: Evo X
                            Daily: 93 Accord LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by di2accord
                              i have to agree with ssd accord here... here in san diego cops are the biggest bitches in the world.. if you ever watched the true life on mtv with street racers they give you tickets for your headlights to high... i almost gotten a ticket for having my parking permit hanging between my mirrors... cops here in sd are the biggest assholes... to the jdm usdm h22... i would love to get a jdm engine cuz of less mileage and more power and easier to convert but when its smogg and registration time... it is the hardest bitch to do.... examples: my neighbor has a b20 in an integ he failed twice first time they knew it was jdm failed him got a ticket for it... second time he went to a different place failed cuz b20 are considered a suv engine since it came out of an suv and it is not going to pass smog on a car.... another example: a friend of mine has a jdm b18 on a hatchback... did not pass... here smog people check for vin#.. also if there is a lil modification on your engine EVEN an intake or exhaust or just even plain old wiring they will ask for a sticker from the manufacturer of it.... so basically im saying here in san diego... cops, dmv, and smog check places are the biggest bitches... EXCEPT.. if you have a hook up other wise your two choices are hassle with converting and juss getting it over with to be legal and go the hard way.. or go jdm and if a cop pulls you over and checks for any modification on your car you'll for sure get fined and impounded or juss get fined....... and thats my whole to big cents about this convo
                              ^^ agreed..

All cops just need a probable cause to pull you over just if they suspect your car is illegal.. in my case.. the cops probable cause is my exhaust.. they ask to pop open the hood and they couldnt find nothing but a carb legal sticker on my intake.. the look frustrated that they spent 5 min lookin for something illegal.. after that they were like "why do you have a boost gauge?" im like "because i wanted one.." so they closed my hood and they were like "lets see how low your car is.." the wrote me a ticket for that.. and they checked if my clear corners were DOT SAE approved.. they were soo they wrote me up for that.. and they wrote me up for havin LED parking lights on the clear corners along with the superwhite high beams..

the cops wrote me some bull shit tickets but theyre right in a way.. i wasnt causing any rutkus or anythin i was just at a stop light waitin in line.. soo yea the pigs out here are pretty much ass holes..

i dont wanna go through that shit again.. all i can say to some people.. its easier said then done.. cuz if you go through what me and my homies did youd think twice about puttin a jdm engine.. unless you gots the hook up to smog/pigs

in sd the racing scene is soo bad that they even FINE you for watchin the races..

Comment

Working...
                              X