Help // Axle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help // Axle Problem

I just redid my brakes and in the process replaced the driver's side outer axle.

I went to napa and got a remanufactured axle, that matched to the axle that was in my car previously. The axle that matched was for a 95 accord! I get it in a test drive it. The first corner on my road is a 90 degree right hander. I go into it at about 40mph, and all I hear/feel is clunking/thumping coming from the driver's side front . So I figured that it was either the cv joint being screwed up from napa or the axle was too long.

I asked my local trans shop ( very reputable ) and they said that napa re-manufactured axles were junk, and that I should get a new napa axle. So I did exactly that, I got a new napa axle, put it in, test drove it, and everything felt alright.

Driving to work today, I take a slightly downhill, off-camber 90 degree right hander, at about 30, and what do I hear? That same clunking. Since I put in the new axle, I've maybe driven 150-200 miles. Maybe.

Details on the car:
    92 ex coupe
    JDM H22A

The 95 accord axle is about an inch longer out of the box than an axle for a 92 accord. The 95 axle bolts right up, like it belongs there. wtf?

When the car is on stands, and you put the axle in, should you have to stretch the axle between the half-shaft and the knucle?

Or should it just fit? With a limited amount of play?

AH!!!!! Please some help.
    members/ride | the/website
    180 hp/145 ft-lb

Just use axles for our cars... they fit. What are the axles from the 95 doing? breaking at the joints?

Comment

They aren't breaking, just binding.

The thing is that the axle I pulled out was the same length as the 95 axle.
      Is an inch difference in length going to matter?
      Will it pop out?

Should an axle make some noise when you rotate it before you install it?

God, so many questions.....
      180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

an inch difference.. that is your answer. If they were the same length, and splines.. then they would be ok, but yes, the inch will make a difference especially on curves. i would take them out before you do damage to the transmission by putting extra stress on it.

Comment

Should you have to stretch the axle a little between the half-shaft and the knuckle?
          180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Originally posted by 92acclude
            Should you have to stretch the axle a little between the half-shaft and the knuckle?
            You shouldnt have to stretch it.. should just go in there fine. By stretching it, you are pulling apart the joints.

Comment

Yeah, stock CB7 axles are just fine...

I'm running Napa remanufactured axles on both sides, and they are a HELL of a lot better than the Advanced Auto axles that my friends are running. I would be more than happy with the Napa remans... just get the CB7 ones!

Comment

I think I realized the problem.

The ghetto ass shop who did my swap ( ), must have used the prelude center shaft, thus causing the disparity in outer axle length. So I need to replace both axles on that side.

Out of curiosity, can someone measure that center shaft and give me a length on it? With the points they measured between?

And thanks for the responses guys.
                180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

There is a part of the Prelude axle that you can use to make stronger hybrid axles... I never looked into it becaue I'm too lazy to do it

Comment

Does that mean that the center shaft isn't causing the problem? Our should I just replace both of them and call it a day? No being able to turn right sucks.
                    180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

I'm not sure if it's the center shaft or not... I should know this, but I don't. I know there is one part that works, making it stronger, but not a different length.

If you can afford it, I would just go to Napa and get some remanufactured CB7 stockers... they work for me, and I beat the living hell out of my car (especially on turns... I don't always wait to get straight before I mash the throttle!) They've held up for over 2 years and 40,000 miles with the h22 already!

Comment

Nice, I think I may do exactly that. It also sounds like we drive the same. Best place to put power down in half way throught the corner. I'll ask napa on the lengths of the center shafts and if there is a difference, new axles for me!

Thanks.
                        180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

a wrecked car that was fixed shit will make axle alignment off, i use autozone axles after getting count then ten axles in 5 months that were shit, get some driveshaftshop.com axles there the shit i saving for some due to me braking axles like sticks
                          fuck the bitches that stole my car jan/1/2006@7am from montesano wa updated: The Warrens from Malone Wa were found guilty for possesion of stolen property in the 1st*and were ordered to pay $2489.69 in restitution, only cause the shell was not found

R.I.P.

Vouches from: Snailin91, Caution, 2G6, Jdmf23accord, Boosted_StinkyNuts

Comment

AFAIK, the prelude parts are longer than the cb7 parts. Therefore the binding is the extra 2-3 inch difference ( I forget the exact number) in the length of halfshaft and the axle. The CB7 parts are just as strong as the prelude parts. The halfshaft's design is better but from what i have heard, if your cb7 axles snap because of power, then the preludes won't be any better.

As far as the hybrid axles go...as i mentioned before they are not much better than the stockers. Save that money, and instead of buying junk, buy yourself a set of axles from the driveshaft shop, TCI or gator axles.

Comment

Thats what I needed to know, guess I will be getting a full driver's side set of axles soon.
                              180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Working...
                              X