Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H22A Defective Autotensionner can blow engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A Defective Autotensionner can blow engine?

I've read about this, but have no idea what any of it is. just something about there having been a factory defective autotensionner and it can blow you engine. anybody ever heard of this? cause i'm gonna get an h22, and how would i know if i am prone to encounter this problem? anyone on here with a swap ever hear of it? would an engine i get already have been fixed? supposedly you can convert it to a manual tensionner from some other honda. i don't know what the hell an autotensionner does or is, so i'm just repeating what i've heard, but it this a rare problem or something well known cause where i read it made it sound like it blows on every h22.

the manual vs auto tensioner referrs to the timing belt, while I, personally, have not seen a motor blow from this its a preventative modification. there is a great how to on this site, i believe there is a link in the swa FAQ.

the auto tensioner usesa different pulley on the timing belt to adjust the tension in the timing belt in conjunction with a spring assembly.

the motor you would need to pull some parts from (if not buying new, which i wouldnt reccomend) is a h23 prelude motor.

good luck and happy modding.

Comment

I would do the Auto to manual tensioner conversion just to be safe....I am running the auto tensioner right now, but I will soon be converting to the manual setup, just for safety reasons.....
      1991 Honda Accord Ex
      Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
      Totoro Squad #2

Comment

yeah that shit can cause your car to jump timing be off all track and cause the pistons to meet the valves early causing major catastrophical engine damage if your not careful. I recommend changing this if you plan on pushing some serious power or if the motor is seriously worn ive seen it go on stock motors aswell. Just know when to spot the conditions early.

Comment

The auto tensioner's that fail are most likely due to not re-installing them correctly. To buy a new one at the dealership costs just as much as getting all new pulleys and everything you need for a manual tensioner conversion. So thats why most people go the manual route.

Comment

Had this problem on a B20 in my buddys Civic.. The auto tensioner keeps loosening up on high revs and jumping the belt resulting in breaking stuff.. sucks..

www.definiteobsessions.com

Comment

thanks, i'll make sure i get that done when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
                thanks, i'll make sure i get that done when the time comes.
                best done with motor out of the chassis.. just a bit of FYI!

Comment

Working...
                X